HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
Discussion
RC Lander T-33 "Chino Style"

After watching Corsair Nut and Falcon5 (my brother) do a little formation flying at the Las Vegas "Ace in the Hole" electric event a year ago with their T-33's, I knew this aircraft was needed in my fleet. I like to "change it up" and not have the same plane as everyone else so, I use a technique I've found to work well with foam planes to change the scheme. After filling all the voids and defects in the foam with filler, then applying a light coat of water based clear and sand to an ok finish. Now I apply the scheme of my desire with Oracal 2mil vinyl. Through different distributors, I usually purchase vinyl by the yard for 1/2 the cost of Ultracote. Here is where I'm at so far. I’ve added a couple of pictures of foam planes I have done in the past.

Daryl
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Last edited by skyracer068; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined May 2007
218 Posts
Hi Daryl
Are you using the Oracal just for the trim, or covering the whole fuse and wing with Oracal
Thanks
Carl
CARL SCHIMNOWSKI is offline Find More Posts by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Looking great bro..keep the pics coming. I like the vinyl idea pretty sweet. does it add much weight?
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI View Post
Hi Daryl
Are you using the Oracal just for the trim, or covering the whole fuse and wing with Oracal
Thanks
Carl
The whole aircraft will be covered with Oracal. The 2 mil is very easy to work with as it is very pliable and strechable. Anything thicker is harder to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Looking great bro..keep the pics coming. I like the vinyl idea pretty sweet. does it add much weight?
On the Phase 3 F-16, it only added 1.5 ounces to the total weight. I'm figuring about 7 to 8 ounces total to the weight. the only negative is they dont offer any flat colors. I've seen foam spray that everyone is using now has added over a pound of weight to the airframe but, you also need to factor in the paint that was applied. BTW, mom says hi.
Last edited by skyracer068; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
Just to let you know, I had a issue with the T-33 and contacted RC Lander. Tim Wan responded immediately with a resolution. RC Lander has the best customer service I have ever seen.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Wow sounds nice..I will look into that stuff. Tell mom Hi back.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
The UPS man just dropped by to say hi and brought me these!!!

Falcon5, here is where I buy the vinyl. http://pacificcoastsignsupply.com Just call or email, they will send a brochure with all the vinyl they carry.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,290 Posts
Those models look very nice and the material looks very interesting so visited that site. However seems they have many different Oracal materials/finishes/thicknesses. Do you have an exact part number for one of the colors you choose? Didn't find a color chart on their website -- do they have one ? Will they mail it?

Is this a sticky back material or do you have to apply an adhesive and do you have to adhere to compound curves in small panels? Surface prep? Looks like you might have opened Pandora's box here so now you're going to have to give us a complete finishing process !!!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,639 Posts
what size fan is that ? i really like this Chino T-33 ...we have seen it the last two years at the airshow .....they aborted both years .they need a good mech.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
killickb- If you call them, they will send you a catalog with all the vinyl sizes and colors. It is a sticky back that adheres very well. It is pliable to stretch around wing tips and compound curves, sometimes with a little heat like from a hair dryer. Don't get it to hot or the foam will begin to separate and give you a bumpy finish. For surface prep, fill in all the defects you donít want to be seen with a filler of your choice and sand, then, apply a couple of light brush coats of a water based clear (like they sell at home depot-brush, not spray. The propellant in the spray cans is not foam safe) and lightly sand. Not to a perfect finish like you would do with paint because vinyl will hide some defects. Now apply the vinyl. Here is a picture of my Ultimate I covered with Ultracote white and then applied the blue and red vinyl. On the wings and fuse, I sprayed the vinyl with Windex, positioned the vinyl in place and squeegee the vinyl to a sooth finish. I hope this helps and I'll have more picture of the process soon.

AIR SALLY- 90mm Stumax. I loved the sound of falcon5ís T-33. Chinoís T-33 was at Reno this year and did 1 lap around the pylons. AWESOME!!!

Here is a Lear I did a while ago with vinyl as well
Last edited by skyracer068; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Dang bro that Ultimate looks SWEET!!! nice work. I like the new shroud Stu is putting on his 90mm fans.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:01 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,850 Posts
hey D, did anybody happen to ask about chargers left at the field from the event a couple weeks ago? i left i two blue imax chargers at the event on saturday. i figure somebody snagged them, but maybe somebody picked them up too.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
hey D, did anybody happen to ask about chargers left at the field from the event a couple weeks ago? i left i two blue imax chargers at the event on saturday. i figure somebody snagged them, but maybe somebody picked them up too.
I saw that AIR SALLY posted this situation on another thread. I emailed everyone I knew to include club officals to see if they had them. I will get in touch with Darrell Stubbs and Greg Clemenson to see if they have them.

Daryl