HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Buddha
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
226 Posts
Jim
I can't think of anythink new to say but great job. It is beautiful and an inspiration to all. In fact I have been bitten by the giant scale bug.
Until this build I had no idea what giant I wanted to build. So I got plans and this build helps me to understand what is on the plans. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Pete
nice design!!

Rick Martin
R. Martin is online now Find More Posts by R. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Just steer clear of black Dr1's and Zeppelins.
Looking seriously nice mate, but don't try to fly it like a CGI.

Pete
That wouldn't be a 1/8 scale black DR1 would it? You wouldn't know where any of those might be do you? I figure the Zeppelin would be way to big even at 1/8 scale.

Fly it like a CGI? Me do that? Never happen. LOL.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Martin View Post
Jim
I can't think of anythink new to say but great job. It is beautiful and an inspiration to all. In fact I have been bitten by the giant scale bug.
Until this build I had no idea what giant I wanted to build. So I got plans and this build helps me to understand what is on the plans. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Pete
nice design!!

Rick Martin
Rick, thanks for the compliment but I haven't done anything that anyone else with the patience couldn't do. If taken just one step at a time or one sub-assembly at a time, it is really quite easy. None of the techniques I have used are hard to do even for a novice builder if they took the time to do it. Start with a great design and a great short kit. Make a plan of how you want the finished product to look. Then use all the resources of this Forum and the net to find what you need. Dont be afraid to try new things. I get most of my motivation and inspiration from trying new things. Most all of the techniques I have used have come from reading threads on this forum. But the most important ingredients are time and patience.

Jim
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
After a pair of soccer games this morning, I got a chance to finish up the graphics. All that was left was the top wing. Just a few more details then it will be time for some assembly. Weather is not looking good for tomorrow so might get started on it then.

For all intents and purposes, the top wing is finished. The servo rods are in and the ailerons have been centered and tested.

Jim
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Nice!
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
During the week I was able to add the wires on the cabane struts and UC legs. I used fishing line. It stiffened up the UC very nicely. Also was able to install the servos in the fuse and install the pull-pull cables for the rudder and elevators. She is getting very close. Hope to get the top wing glued on this weekend.

But first have two soccer games this morning then have to go buy and install a new washing machine. Planning on a weinie roast for my girls tonight. The N17 might have to wait til tommorrow.

Jim
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:35 AM
Buddha
Joined Apr 2011
226 Posts
Please post pics of you progress especially the pull pull.

Rick
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
I did not take a lot of pics while doing the pull-pull cables as they have been done over and over again. But I will get some pics of the finished product up today with an explanation of how I did them.

All I got done yesterday was to glue on the top wing. That top wing is so large she looks like she could fly without the bottom wings. Will work on her all afternoon today.

Jim
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
pull-pull

Here are some shots of the pull-pull cables for the rudder and elevators. I started by mounting the servos and powering them up and getting them centered. The rudder was done first since they are the lowest when working from the bottom of the fuse. The cables are made from fireline fishing line. I have been using this roll for the last 10 years. I started by taping the line to a length of music wire and inserting the rod into the cable outlet at the back of the fuse and running the cable to the front. Working through the bottom hatch, I removed the line from the rod and tied it to the servo arm. A drop of CA to lock the knot so it will not come unraveled. Do the same for the other side. Now I have two cables coming out of the exits but not yet attached to the rudder. Next I slid a wire lead connector sleeve, purchased from local tackle shop, on each cable. Insert the cables into their respective control horns then back through the connector sleeve. Tighten each cable as best you can. Take your time to also keep the rudder centered (keeping in mind the servo is still powered and centered). When satisfied everything is as close to center as you can get it and the cables are tight, squeeze the connectors with some needle nose pliers. Place a drop of CA on the sleeves for insurance and then you are done. Same process on the elevators except you have double the cables.

Just for fun, I slid the bottom wings on and inserted the cabane struts. Put the battery in the hatch and gave her a quick CG check. Almost perfect. Could not believe it. Great job Pete on distributing the weight. Also put her on the scales. Reading 25.3 onces. Right on target. Took a few pics. Still need to finish the cabane struts and install some bracing wires. Glue on the wings then it will be time for a maiden flight

Jim
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
Some pre-assembly pics. Lewis gun in upper wing is also missing.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Buddha
Joined Apr 2011
226 Posts
Thanks for the pics on the pull pull. My plans call for it but It was not clear to me. Yor pics cleared it up.

Rick
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
JIMA, looking nice.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
She is looking a treat mate, Looking forward to the maiden report, pics, and hopefully a video, the early Nieup's are such pretty designs!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
Ready for Maiden

Pushed through this weekend and got her ready for maiden. All wings glued on. Rigging added. All control surfaces moving and in the right direction. Engine run up. CG checked. Added 1 once of weight to the cowl just in case. AUW around 26 onces. Flight leader pennants added. A few finished pics taken. Will take more with a better backdrop before the maiden.

Still debating if I want to add the Lewis gun to the top wing. The best way to access the battery hatch is with the airplane upside down. The rigging is made with white elastic thread. Also debating if I want to paint it. It stands out a little better in white.

All in all it looks right to me.. Now I need to plan the maiden flight.

Jim