SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2014, 08:32 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
330 Posts
We have decided that rather than having me build 2 lubricators for the engines that we are going to get a double barrel one from England. I have ordered it an hope to see it in 7 to 10 days.
As Mike said in a post above there are several small parts that have to be built. Some will have to be finished once the vessel gets down here to my shop.
I have the Gcode files for the anchor for the linear servo that will be controlling the reversing. After I get the bronze blank machined it will take three times and three Gcode files in the CNC mill to finish the part.
I am working hard to get the project done but I do not want to rush and make a mistake.
As Mike was saying this is not watch making but is close. The biggest thread size on the engine is the is the 10-32 on the cross head end of the piston rod and goes down from there to 1-72 for the covers on the valve chambers.
There are 40 threaded holes on each cylinder plus the 4 holes for the bolts that hold the cylinder to the frame.

I thank everyone for the kind words about the quality of the build both my small part and Mikes.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:56 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,292 Posts
Everyone is Welcome to the Launch/Christening!

Dave and I will try and get a firm date for the launch/christening celebration. If we can give you guys enough lead time, everyone is more than welcome to join in the event. I'll probably have a crowd of local friends and fellow model boat builders on hand to eat cake and watch the launching. If we can get some idea of the numbers from out of town, I'll try and work out a deal with local hotels. Looking at the calendar, It looks like either September 7th or the 18th at the Bellevue City Park pond, site of the NWRCSM annual Regatta and PNW Tugboat Regatta. I'll have a chat with Dave on which of those dates or other's later in September or early October will give us enough time to finish the engine install. Washington usually has very nice weather into the first two weeks of October. I'll take a look at all options and get back with a post here.

It would be great fun to meet some of you who have been so loyal in following this build.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:15 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,798 Posts
a little to far for me, would really like to be there... the ship,steam plant and engines are true finest examples of modeling work. don't waste all the champagne on the bow...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:58 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,458 Posts
T'would only that I could....but alas, a bit far for me also..

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
I sure am thrilled to see the fine example of craftsmanship that both of you guys have created ! The finish of both the ship and the steam plant are beyond words. Thanks for taking the time to document it all so well.
Pete
I am way over in Georgia so I will just have to live the moment through the net.
apointofview is offline Find More Posts by apointofview
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,292 Posts
A Big Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview View Post
I sure am thrilled to see the fine example of craftsmanship that both of you guys have created ! The finish of both the ship and the steam plant are beyond words. Thanks for taking the time to document it all so well.
Pete
I am way over in Georgia so I will just have to live the moment through the net.
For Dave and myself, we thank you for the comments and following the build.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,292 Posts
We Just Passed 80,000 Views!

While Dave closes in on completion of the steam engines for Preston, I'm now in the middle of closing on the sale of my Honolulu condo. Yea!! It sold quickly. Two more months of paperwork and waiting before closing. And during this time I've got a few small items to finish inside the boat before taking it down to Dave's shop for engine install. As everyone has seen, the engines now operate with the reversing gear fully installed and operated via RC. We just received the displacement lubricator from England and will be a little challenged installing this since it is not a small unit. I went with the double piston unit that will feed both engines at the same time. Dave will modify the lubricator and install a fill port the flip cap so I don't have to pry off the tight fitting tank lid.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:11 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
330 Posts
I found an aerial photo taken in 2008 by Can Fly Land?? of the Preston. Then compare it to a photo taken by Mike of the model of the Preston.

Good job Mike

Dave

Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:17 AM
Submarine or Target?
United States, SC, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2013
485 Posts
Success!!!!

This has been an awesome build. I will not be able to attend the maiden voyage since I am almost as far away as possible, diagonally across the country. I'll be there in spirit, though.
ericbphoto is offline Find More Posts by ericbphoto
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,292 Posts
Preston & Model

I found a better picture of the model to compare to the W.T. Preston.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:31 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,458 Posts
You did quite the masterful job on it Mike!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:34 AM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
330 Posts
If it were not for the different backgrounds I don't think you could tell which was which.

Dave
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:34 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
Very nice Mike.
It is a great testament to your modeling skills when it becomes hard to tell
the model from the real boat.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,292 Posts
Thank You Everyone

Preston has been a learning experience and not done alone. The forum has been a source of inspiration, technical help and input on this build. It has been a group effort.

Mike