Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
no, the nylon ones with the kit are less likely to back out in flight
Excellent thanks!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:58 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
You may want to order some nylon ones if you want those as both my 48" Edge & 47" Extra SHP came with metal bolts.
The weird thing is my 51" Slick came with Nylon bolt as I think it's a order kit before they started switch to all metal wing bolts with the smaller kits aleast.
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:42 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Yeah my power is back on after almost 60 hours. Storm Friday evening took a tree down about 2 feet from the corner of my house. Not an hour before my wife had made a comment about we were going to need some firewood for the winter. Have not seen wind like that since I was in the Navy about a hundred years ago.

Anyway I did get 5 flights in with the wooden prop on Friday. Liked it a lot. Used the JXF throttle seemed to be crisper and slightly more responsive. Flight 5 I did a bone headed landing and my gear legs spread far enough for a tip to hit and splinter. Gonna save the XOAR props until I learn to land more consistently and or solve my gear spreading out problem.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:46 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
You may want to order some nylon ones if you want those as both my 48" Edge & 47" Extra SHP came with metal bolts.
The weird thing is my 51" Slick came with Nylon bolt as I think it's a order kit before they started switch to all metal wing bolts with the smaller kits aleast.
Yeah my kit doesn't have any nylon screws (will check again though), I have just ordered some of the nylon thumb screws. I take it the thumb screws make for easy wing removal.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
840 Posts
What's your pref-flight check list and what's you maintenance check out list?

Okay, I have three flights in. My first wood ship in about twenty years. It was also a present so I want to take real good care of it. I figure there's certain checks I should do every time I take it up. And there's stuff I should check on the bench every once in a while.

What's your list for each? Any tips on how and what to check?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:27 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Okay, I have three flights in. My first wood ship in about twenty years. It was also a present so I want to take real good care of it. I figure there's certain checks I should do every time I take it up. And there's stuff I should check on the bench every once in a while.

What's your list for each? Any tips on how and what to check?

-l2t
My routine before taking off goes something like this:
  • After plugging in the battery make sure the receiver light is solid and not blinking. If you have a satellite make sure it's also solid
  • Check the wing bolts to make sure they are snug
  • Put the canopy on and make sure it's latched
  • Control surface check. Out of habit I do this twice before taking off. Also... REALLY look at the plane during this process. Make sure no surface movements are causing anything else strange to happena and make sure nothing is binding.
  • Let er rip!

About once a month I go over each of my planes just sort-of looking for any issues. Small cracks in the wood, anything loose, etc. I go through the inside of the fuse pushing and pulling on stuff just tryign to find any weak spots. Every now and then I'll drop a little more thin CA in the joints. I also check my velcro staps to see if they are getting weak and need replacement because nothing sucks worse than getting ready to take off and breaking the velcro when tightening it down.

That's really about it for me.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:52 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Yeah my power is back on after almost 60 hours. Storm Friday evening took a tree down about 2 feet from the corner of my house. Not an hour before my wife had made a comment about we were going to need some firewood for the winter. Have not seen wind like that since I was in the Navy about a hundred years ago.

Anyway I did get 5 flights in with the wooden prop on Friday. Liked it a lot. Used the JXF throttle seemed to be crisper and slightly more responsive. Flight 5 I did a bone headed landing and my gear legs spread far enough for a tip to hit and splinter. Gonna save the XOAR props until I learn to land more consistently and or solve my gear spreading out problem.

The power is still out at my Inlaws house in Maryland. Been out since Friday
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
First 3DHS plane

I am looking to put my first 3DHS plane together in time for upcoming 7/4 holiday and looks like it's 48" Edge. Can't wait to experience this first hands to see how it compares to my others .
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Yeah my kit doesn't have any nylon screws (will check again though), I have just ordered some of the nylon thumb screws. I take it the thumb screws make for easy wing removal.
if you have the metal ones, just use and O-ring and they will stay snug
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
For those just getting into the 3DHS Edge, take a look at the motor pictured below. I put one in my Edge along with an Ice 50 ESC and 12X6 prop. With a 3S battery, the plane flew like a sport plane with a 1 to 1 thrust ratio. It could hover but just barely. It handled the precision maneuvers with no issues. Switching to a 4S battery the plane behaves like a full 3D plane. The thrust ratio is 1.8 to 1. That's right, battery voltage change without changing the prop. The power system came home cool as a cucumber. The motor barely fits in the cowl and wants the battery toward the rear of the tray to get a good balance, but she'll perform well on either 3S or 4S with the 12X6. Makes for a very versatile flyer. It is the Cobra 2820/14.

fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I would try a little bigger prop for 3s.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
Put a 14x7 on there... Then it will fly on 3s the same way everyone else enjoys.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,693 Posts
FMV,

Here is the link to the prop data sheet...http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Cobra/C...0-14_Specs.htm

Looks like the output was about right the the prop you used. Look at the data for a 14 x 7 (with the same 3s setup) and you will see that it might have been a better choice.

Just trying to save you some money on batteries.

The 840kv allows for more torque and a longer prop.

Many have tried the 4s route and almost all have come back to 3s with the proper prop.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Jul 02, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:12 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
I picked up some 1/8 inch mild steel rod today for an attempt at making some landing gear. Plan is to make it 3/4 inch longer on each leg to get a bit more ground clearance and a slightly wider stance. When I get the shape right and am sure it fits I am going to heat treat each leg. Worth a try anyway. Rod was $2 at Lowes.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON