SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
I must be missing something. The Bandit is solid white on top, and one of four translucent colors on the bottom. To me, at distance, it looks like a uniform color on the bottom and white on top (with a bit of color trim). I'm flying the blue one, so maybe it just looks darker than other colors.

There are many planes that are the same translucent color on both sides (such as the Addiction), making it difficult to judge orientation. The Bandit isn't one of them.
Try this, take both wings and hold them up to the sun. Turn one upside down and one right side up. Notice how now they both look pretty close to the same color. One looks white and the other looks white but with a colored tint to it. When it gets further out and the color starts to turn to gray scale they both turn pretty close to the same thing depending on the light and orientation. Its not like what the solid colors do. With those they turn white and black. With the translucent they turn white and a slight gray.

Cloudy days seem to have the same effect.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
just fly closer in and lower.
The RC Madtricks (22 min 44 sec)
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post
Try this, take both wings and hold them up to the sun. Turn one upside down and one right side up. Notice how now they both look pretty close to the same color. One looks white and the other looks white but with a colored tint to it. When it gets further out and the color starts to turn to gray scale they both turn pretty close to the same thing depending on the light and orientation. Its not like what the solid colors do. With those they turn white and black. With the translucent they turn white and a slight gray.

Cloudy days seem to have the same effect.
I don't think that happens so much with the blue color scheme (which is the darkest color). Maybe the orange and green are brighter and more susceptible to this? This could answer the question posed long ago in this thread about "which is the best color" aside from personal preference.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
I like all the colors... no one else in the market offers each plane with so many different colors. It is all personal anyway- each one of us sees colors differently...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
I don't think that happens so much with the blue color scheme (which is the darkest color). Maybe the orange and green are brighter and more susceptible to this? This could answer the question posed long ago in this thread about "which is the best color" aside from personal preference.
I guess thats possible. The green has issues
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
So I got myself a Bandit 2 days ago, started building immediately.

I put in a Hyperion ZS3020-10 and Hyperion Atlas 45A ESC. I am spinning a 13x6.5 on 3s 2200. Let's see what it will do. But dry testing it, on half throttle it wants to pull up.

I am waiting for the wind to calm down, can't maiden it yet. I hope it'll be cool.
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Last edited by Riddlers; Oct 11, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
The plane handles the wind like a champ.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Mudgee
Joined Dec 2011
40 Posts
Hey Bandit experts. I just have to get one !!! I do have to try and do it on the cheapish. I'm looking at a HK NTM Pro Drive 900 KV http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24538

Does anyone have experiance with fitting this motor. I'd like to use it but wonder if the motor box would need modification. Thanks for any help.

amiga2000
amiga2000 is offline Find More Posts by amiga2000
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga2000 View Post
Hey Bandit experts. I just have to get one !!! I do have to try and do it on the cheapish. I'm looking at a HK NTM Pro Drive 900 KV http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24538

Does anyone have experiance with fitting this motor. I'd like to use it but wonder if the motor box would need modification. Thanks for any help.

amiga2000
Hi amiga, I have no experience with this motor, but the mount holes are 25x19. So you would need to drill the CF motor mount which is not advisable.
dG
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
Australia, NSW, Mudgee
Joined Dec 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Hi amiga, I have no experience with this motor, but the mount holes are 25x19. So you would need to drill the CF motor mount which is not advisable.
dG
Thanks. It might be wiser then to get the iPA and source alternate servos to keep everything as it should be.
amiga2000 is offline Find More Posts by amiga2000
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,057 Posts
I've got a Scorpion SII-3020-780KV earmarked for mine. I've checked it for fit in the motor box and it's all good. It's also a little heavier than the Thrust 40 (166g vs 140g), which should help with balance, and the lower Kv says probably 4S from the start.

Any motor with a tapered mounting face, 4x25mm mounting, overall 37-37.5mm diameter, 40-45 mm long should fit. I originally had a Hyperion I have as Plan A, but it doesn't taper at the mounting face and fouled all the reinforcement in the front of the motor box.

The IPAs looks a cheaper option than Scorpion.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,261 Posts
See post below.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,261 Posts
Quote:

amiga2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
dG
Quote:
Thanks. It might be wiser then to get the iPA and source alternate servos to keep everything as it should be.
I drilled my front plate and also enlarged the shaft hole since I fitted a collar to the front of my motor (not really needed) of choice. I ran around 950w (motrolfly 2820-950 on 4s spinning an APC 13x6.5) for several months before settling on my current setup (same motor 3s APC 14x7 or 15x6) which does 650w. I've not had any issue with cracking or weakness of the motor mount. But in saying that during assembly I thinned some epoxy with acetone and gave the whole motor mount a light coat with a heavy coat around all the joints etc..

The Motrolfly 2820-950 is actually a pretty good option marginally heavier than the Thrust but more power for the same prop and batt config (mainly due to the higher KV), and combined with a Turnigy 60a Plush and some Turnigy Blue batteries it makes for a pretty good cheaper setup. Especially since from the Australian supplier SC Models it's only $60 incl postage, so yes more than the NTM but still way cheaper than the PA Thrust. You do need to open the hole through which you install the motor slightly, but it's not hard.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,057 Posts
@luke 352, am I right in understanding that if you took the collar off (which should not be needed in a front mount/ thru firewall installation), you would not need to enlarge the hole in the firewall?
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
@luke 352, am I right in understanding that if you took the collar off (which should not be needed in a front mount/ thru firewall installation), you would not need to enlarge the hole in the firewall?
Correct, technically you should not need a collar or circlip on a front mount. But the idea still makes me uncomfortable leaving those things off so I just enlarged the hole instead.