HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:33 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
Discussion
Tank tracks ??

HELLO all OK I have been playing with the HL tanks for couple of months now . Also have learn a few tricks but ? When I put on another set of tacks from another tank Sometimes I cant get tank to go the right way when I am going forward.. I use the same tracks that comes off of the same tank that I switch from . So they are the same tracks and I put them on the same side I took them off going the same way.
THEY will try to go right or left sometimes.
NOW tell me iing s there any tricks on putting them on so they will go normal.??
With out have to correct them on the radio.
That is one I cant seem to figure out . I have not change motors or gearing just replace or remove the tracks . I am working with the rubber ones. every thing is the older HL boards and stock ??

Thanks DON
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Don, could be something as simple as tension on the tracks.
You could have one side slightly tighter then the other, this will cause a pull in one direction.

Flip one of the offending sets of tracks left to right, and see if it pulls the same way or now pulls the opposite direction. If it pulls the same, you have unequal distances between your drive and idler pulleys, side to side. Something like play in the pulley axles on the idlers could cause this. Or something like your gearbox mount moving on you.

If it pulls the opposite direction, then you have a stretched tread, one is slightly longer then the other.

Remember real tanks had adjustable idlers to adjust tension.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
OK GG I will give it a try. If it dose not help I will let you know . Is there any way of an adjustment on those tanks. LET you know if a few . Eather way I will tell you what happens DON Thanks
Last edited by Rustbucket; Nov 09, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:24 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
OK ON the retriver by switching the tracks it seem to make difference. I have to wait for the battery to come up on the Duster. BY the way I took it to our club meeting . FOR I belong to 2 different modeling clubs. THE tanks nopack then Pearsions modeling club out of Vancouver Washingtion . THE Pearsion air musume. THAT Club like it . ON 12-7 next month I have a show in dealing with the tanks . Besides that day I am part of a show to honor Vets . Something I have never been to. Looking forward to that one for sure..
ON that show I will show up with a couple of landing crafts and the tanks . So it should be a good one. ONE landing craft for sure will be my LST. I had a lot of vets tell me in the pass if it was not for the LST we would have lost the war for they were the back bone of landing troops on the beaches. OK I will let know on what happens on the other tank Thanks . By the way on those tracks I talk to the store that I pick up the tanks up from the begining they may try to get some of those back and when they do I may just pick up a new tank and let the other go for parts and part of a battle seen. thanks. KEEP an eye on this thread I will let you know what happens. ONE Side did seem tighter then other . DON
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
OK GG THE other tank runs good so your advice seem to pay off thank you agian. Don the rustbucket
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:46 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
HEY GG that did the trick. They both run strate for the most part. BUT I have run into something new but I am not surprise now both tanks will run for a little bit then stop . THEN I have to walk up to them to make contact. BUT remember I pick up use tanks that was not working I got them going again. So now I will have to figure out what is going on. That started last night. I may end up going to the new boards in the future but right now I would like to figure it out . So I can help others. I took the boards out of other tanks . I have the older boards with out christals and only have the forward and reverce plug in on one the other I have the turret plug in only. All of the batterys are charge up . So I am wondering now with out the other plug set up it that may be causing a problem . I just dont know at this time . So I have something new to play with BUT what you told me last night that was the answer Thanks DON
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:46 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
I would like to chang it over to all speckrum but then I am not sure on what is involve and what elest I may be looking at . just somehing new to work out. If you have any ideas or answers let me know . THEN I will have to see if I can aford the change over for I would do it to both of the new ones. Thank again DON
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Could be your boards are overheating. I've seen a few add computer fans to keep the temp down on em.

As for Spektrum, I know I read somewhere about a module the plugs into the stock boards to allow for such. Or you can swap out everything for more hobby grade type stuff.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
996 Posts
The DBC3RC is a board that will allow you to use the Spectrum radio (or any other) and hooks up to the RX18 boards in the HL tanks.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:14 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
I wish I had the R 18 but I have the older boards ;-((>>. that is everything is open and solder onto the board. THEN I have one that leads will plug into but from what I understand it is not the R 18. what is going on the tanks will run for a little wile then stop . I walk up to it and it will run again. cant tell if is the radio or reciver bard in the tank one way or anonther i will get it work out. Tanks ;-)))
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
By the way what band of radio do they use I cant fine it any whear. 27 -49- 75? I have a feeling it may be the reciver board in the radio? From what I am trying to do. Any idea out there DON thanks
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
996 Posts
They make a DBC to fit any board you may have. Might have to solder some connections on the older ones. Most are going to the 2.4 radios now. Check here, http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/index.html for them.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Don, most likely the stock radios are either 27 or 49. There should be a tag, possibly inside the tx itself that has the frequency on it. Only thing though, it may not list what crystal/channel they used for a particular tank. The ones I've been fixing for others sometimes don't list the channel, or they just say A/B/C/D .
And I've got a couple that have multiple channels. Like the Abrams sitting on the work bench now. It's got 4 channels it can work on, but will only work with the proper transmitter.
Switch the buttons on the tank, and it's deader then a doornail until you find the right combo to match the tx.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
HELLO GG . I do understand that system ON what I am working with I wish I had that board. I have 3 of those boards in my other 3 tanks and they work good. THE one I am working with is the radio that comes with abrams tanks . Whear you mutuable buttons to push. on the radio and can not switch the channels on the circute boards That is one I wish I had I will have to keep looking for that board.
Right now I cant tell if I have battery problems or boards or radio. I have to keep playing with them untill I figure it out. With my luck it has to be the M 42 the one I just got done with.
MY M 88 tank retriver was doing the same thing and I had one extra a-b-c-d- board I put that set up in and so far no more problems. I have a feeling it may battery or radio. JUST something to play with :-)
. If had one of the channel swircher I would do what you sudjust. that radio is like my futaba 4 channel.

Remember I am playing with tanks that others bring back to to the store. So I can not complan..
YOU would not have an extra one with the mutable sliding switch ?
Maybe we can do some swapping if I cant figure out what is going on.
Having radio problems is nothing new to me with the years i have in RC.
I have alot of exta abrams parts and boards. Thanks DON
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
HELLO GG I just sent you a personal E mail look it over when you get the time Thanks DON