HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:55 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Build Log
Cox/Gravity Hobby P-40 Warhawk - BL 4ch

Hi all. I got my hands on some sweet little 15-16g outrunners...and love micros...so started serching for a plane to put them in. I have micro rx's...and want to run this on my 7cap.

So, I included a bunch of 3.7g servos in my latest HK order, and started the build.

I got 2 P-40 kits from a member here...no stabs...just a fuse, wing, and canopy...for both...plus a little hardware.

My first task was to mount the motor...which turned out fairly easy...just a few slices here and there, and pack in some gorilla glue to the mount. It'll be reinforced with a balsa L-bracket on the other side of the fuse, but I'll get to that later.

*The 3rd pic is a mock-up...that angle does not exist in the glued and mounted position.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:02 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Now...moving on to the prop and spinner...

I had to surgically remove the stock Cox prop. Once i got that off, I clipped the tabs, and sanded the backplate of the spinner down flat. I used my prop reamer to enlarge the hole just big enough to get the backplate onto the prop adapter. I had to cut and shave the spinner where the prop blades come out. It took several passes with a sharp hobby knife toget it right...but easy stuff. I mounted a GWS 5043, and have a 6030 reamed out to the proper size, ready to go if it needs a bigger prop.

All mounted up...looks pretty good!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:09 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Hmmm...no stabs...how-ever will I make them?

It just so happens that the box has cutouts for the stabs. I made a paper template, then transfered that to a thick foam plate. Trace around it...cut it out, then repeat, using the freshly cut stab as the new template. This ensures greater accuracy when cutting out the other part, and symmetry is as easy as trimming the slightly larger 2nd cut-stab to the first one...then sanding the edges of both.
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:28 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
More on the H-stab...

After cutting the two halves...and I always do a 2-pc h-stab for symetry reasons, I taped the bottom, to seam them together. I then flipped it over, folded it out to open the seam, and gorilla glued the halves together. I also added a strip over the top to help lock them together, and will later carve a channel into it, to align the v-stab.
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I'm kind of in a holding pattern here until I get my servos...more to come later!
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:28 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Looks great "The Hog Pen"! what is the WS on this bird?

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
20"/500mm ws.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi the Hog Pan,

I see you've been busy over here. Your P-40 will be finished in no time. I like the way you worked your way around the missing tailwing. Just one remark, the shape is slightly off. You'll need to reshape it to get a proper P-40 look. Size is about right. See attached picture for shape reference. You might by the way want to reinforce the tailwing with a piece of carbon. I don't know gorilla glue but just to be sure....

Good luck in finishing this baby!

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
LOL...I noticed too, that I botched the shape a bit on the h-stab. I'll probably leave it as is for the time being...she should still fly.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I'm kind of in a holding pattern here until I get my servos...more to come later!
Well speak of the devil...HK order arrived today. I got a couple of 2s batts; a Zippy 2s 350mah 20c, and a Nano-tech 2s 450mah 25-40c (what they claim to be "high discharge".

I also got my 10a esc's, and a pile of 3.7g seros...they actually look pretty nice!

I hope I can get to building more tonight, but I've come down with a 24 stomach bug in teh wee hours this morning. I'm starting to pull out of it, so we'll see.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:15 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Some new toys to play with...can't decide which battery to go with. The 350mah will keep weight down, and not require any mods...it'll give me more room for cooling. The Nano is a better battery, but about 8-9 grams heavier, and I'll have to mod the interior of the fuse.

I'm just getting over a stomach bug, so I'm not as focussed as usual...trying to stick with easy stuff tonight.

Ailerons...CA hinges using the clear plastic from a Thomas Train for my oldest boy. I carved, then sanded channels for the torque rods, because I wanted the ailerons out toward the end.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:54 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
I would build to fit both. Make a hatch to exchange batteries. Build and balance the plane around the light battery. I don't know your motor but my planes fly with batteries up to 600 mAh 3 cell. If build correctly the plane can handle it.

One tip, place your gaer as far forward as possible in order to achieve proper CG.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:42 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatorus View Post
I would build to fit both. Make a hatch to exchange batteries. Build and balance the plane around the light battery. I don't know your motor but my planes fly with batteries up to 600 mAh 3 cell. If build correctly the plane can handle it.

One tip, place your gaer as far forward as possible in order to achieve proper CG.

Robert
Thanks Robert...I read a few places to keep it nose heavy, and I'm trying to work everything to where the only thing behing the CoG is the RX. I'm going to make a hatch on the top of the nose to switch batteries...I'm NOT going to permanently install a battery...I've seen the melt-down pics!

I'm trying to think of a way to stagger the elevator and rudder servos. I'm feeling much better today, so my head is ready to actually think. I'm going to mock everything in before I permanently place the guts inside...I want to try to build in the correct CoG, instead of managing it after the plane is complete.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:43 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
More progress...I've spent 2 nights on the servo placement for the rudder and elevator. I want to make sure and get them right. After a lot of test fitting I think I have a setup that will work. I staggered them slightly, still leaving them toward the LE of the wing. I've also tested the ailerons, and I don't really like the movement. I made a few adjustments, but I think I may have used a bit too thick plastic for the CA hinges.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Took a ton of pics over the last couple of nights...should be ready to maiden tomorrow. I'll post pics a bit later!