SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I appreciate it guys. I don't mind someone saying its too expensive... its all relative... I just didn't like the logic that its too expensive because the radio is (relatively) inexpensive.

Its all good. Enough people have ordered and/or expressed interest to make me feel comfortable with my price point. I'm literally making nothing at this point and if you factor in my time for hand-soldering, I'm losing money. I priced it all along assuming I was going to make 500 of them and that's when I start to put a little cash into my pocket because production costs are slashed and they'll be 90% machine assembled.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
the power to the board arrive thru a pogo pin too?
In the first batch of prototypes... no. In the next batch, yes.

- Steven
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:57 PM
Dahlonega, GA
Joined Jul 2010
170 Posts
In all of the previous notes on the subject, I had not realized that a programmer was built in!

Anyway, I have seen your website, Steven. My only question: Is shipping included in the $40 price, and (if not) how much (on average) is shipping to the U.S. (zip: 30534)

edit: I think that a solderless programmer + el backlight is well worth $40. A programmer alone is $15+shipping.
rdhood is offline Find More Posts by rdhood
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:10 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Shipping is not included, no... but it isn't much. Exact figures are shown to you when you check out.. cheapest option should be around $6 I think.

- Steven
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
40$ cost of the programmer+El+inverter seems very high if you look at tHe total cost of the 9x Transmitter is 54$ only !

What I feel it should be close to 20$ and not more than 25US$
Just think of it as $20 with $20 shipping

Seriously, price up this stuff, this is a great deal and really makes this transmitter / FW more mainstream.

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:24 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
I was one of the first to get this add-on board. It was very easy to install, and has worked great ever since. With this add-on board the transmitter gets powered from the usb when it is plugged in. I have figured out that to use the transmitter in a simulator, I simple remove the battery(keeps you from having to charge it again later). Plug in the usb cable and then the simulator cable. You will also want to turn off the alarms unless you like the constant beeping. This way I can use my transmitter in the sim all night and not run out of battery.
A note on the cost of the transmitter:
Transmitter $55
8-channel receiver $10
S-mack programmer add-on $50 (includes shipping)
Hobby king shipping $40

Dx8 Specktrum 8-channel transmitter $429 (free shipping)

So you can get the 9x with s-macks board and 25 extra receivers for the same price as a dx8. And with the Dx8 you don't get all the features that the 9x gets with the er9x firmware anyway. There is now a special setup for a range check. Any other radio you either need a partner to take the radio and move the sticks as they go away. With the 9x you can program the outputs to move by themselves. Then you take the model and start walking. Simply a radio with features you can't find anywhere else.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:46 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I didnt' really think of that added benefit... USB powering the radio (without battery). Come to think of it, now I wonder if a USB-mode could be programmed in to the firmware to auto-shut down the alarm?!? Since the USB gives a pretty stable narrow band of voltage, it could just be that the alarm shuts off if the voltage is within that band. Afterall, nobody would actually fly with that low power.

Hmm...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:37 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I didnt' really think of that added benefit... USB powering the radio (without battery). Come to think of it, now I wonder if a USB-mode could be programmed in to the firmware to auto-shut down the alarm?!? Since the USB gives a pretty stable narrow band of voltage, it could just be that the alarm shuts off if the voltage is within that band. Afterall, nobody would actually fly with that low power.

Hmm...
Issue #174 opened
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
You can't add that! It's already fixed (don't believe me? download the latest binary)
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:38 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Cool... I contributed!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:12 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
You can't add that! It's already fixed (don't believe me? download the latest binary)
How are we supposed to know you are fixing issues if you don't open one? ha ha even one-handed you are still fast!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I've had two reports of shipping damage out of the 22 prototypes shipped out so far. One was minor and probably more my fault (cap vibrated loose... indicative more of a poor or missed solder). The other was more serious as two of the pogo pins were smashed to hell by an angry postal worker with a vicious rubber stamp.

As I mentioned before, I was deliberately shipping these in simple bubble envelopes because it greatly reduces both the packaging and postage costs. Now I seek your input.

Option 1: Keep doing it this way and deem casualties "acceptable losses". If 1 out of 22 is the extent of it, then maybe its not a bad way to go. I'll take responsibility but its an inconvenience to the customer.

Option 2: "Standard" sized box. Eliminates the problem and doesn't cost me too much more (so price stays the same) but shipping goes from a < $8 to ~ $15.

Option 3: Custom box. Eliminates the problem and keeps shipping costs low, but now packaging costs are significant and I have to bump the price of the product up by $3.

If you were me... ???

- Steven
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:00 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,168 Posts
How about protecting the pins by using Styrofoam on that side of the board and wrapping some masking tape around the board/foam bundle, then shipping in bubble wrap?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,829 Posts
+1 for Daedalus66 idea.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:49 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
How about protecting the pins by using Styrofoam on that side of the board and wrapping some masking tape around the board/foam bundle, then shipping in bubble wrap?
Yes like this. You only need some Styrofoam of some kind that is a few mm thick. This would prevent damage in all but the worst circumstances (that angry postal worker that decides running it over if FUN!) You could then use the same packaging that you already do.