HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,583 Posts
Your Cub uses a bind plug? Which Cub is it?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
My Champ now has lights! Red, Green on the wing and a super bright flasher near the tail.
caymin last is online now Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Your Cub uses a bind plug? Which Cub is it?
Hobbyzone Super Cun. Crashed it today because the transmitter was set up wrong from a previous Super Cub. I own three. I think I am going to give up on trying to mix the transmitters and just dedicate the one transmitter to the Champ. Had to rebind again today to get it to recognize the plane.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
Do be sure and remove the bind plugs after binding... I made that mistake when first binding my 90% complete Polaris Seaplane scratchbuild. I had to bind it 3 times before I really saw the little orange "remove before flight" flag.

I felt quite the fool.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Hobbyzone Super Cun. Crashed it today because the transmitter was set up wrong from a previous Super Cub. I own three. I think I am going to give up on trying to mix the transmitters and just dedicate the one transmitter to the Champ. Had to rebind again today to get it to recognize the plane.
Then maybe something different is going on when you use a bind plug. If all birds get bound in the way you bind the Champ they should all stay bound simultaneously... for good. Mine do on my DX4e. (until, like I said earler, you bind them to another Tx)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Then maybe something different is going on when you use a bind plug. If all birds get bound in the way you bind the Champ they should all stay bound simultaneously... for good. Mine do on my DX4e. (until, like I said earler, you bind them to another Tx)
That's kind of what I was thinking.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
A new BL Champ!

I just finished the BL conversion of a champ.

I used the HK AR05 motor (3700Kv), and a Turnigy T5A-1S ESC off a Specktrum AR6400 RX brick. Works great! build log is in my Blog, but here's a "guts" view of the unit before I completed the two halves together (see pic).

Run time is about what I get with a Brushed motor, a bit more power top end, but it's about 5g or so heavier than my previous Champ. It DOES fly better in wind though...

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Quick question? How come every time I use my DX5 to fly my Champ it needs a rebind if I use it to fly my Super Cub and vice versa. Multiple flights on the same plane no rebind. Switch and I have to rebind. What gives?
Hi Guys.

Just got a Champ last week and am having a blast with it. I've been flying glow powered RC planes for many years. I decided to try electric several months ago and bought a Hobbyzone Super Cub DSM which came with a DX4E Tx. Plane flys great but since is about a 25 minute drive to the field where our club flies, I decided to get a Champ so when I don't have a lot of time, I can just go to a local park and fly the Champ.

I decided to bind the Champ to the DX4E since I like the feel of it better than the game controller style of the Champ Tx. The Champ flew great but the next time I took out the Super Cub, I had to re-bind it to the Tx. Have a good time flying it and when I got home I checked the Champ and sure enough...it was no longer bound to the Tx. I tried binding both planes at the same time in case it was an issue of the Tx searching for 2 clean frequencies each time I put it in bind mode thinking that both planes would be bound to the Tx on the same two frequencies but only the Super Cub would bind. The Champ would not until I did the bind process with only the Champ.

Sending a note to Hobbyzone tech support and see what they say.

Response From Hobbyzone Tech Support

That is correct, you can only bind one receiver at a time to a transmitter. The reason is for security in the link. The link is only between the transmitter and receiver in use. This cuts the probability of interference.
dan30677 is offline Find More Posts by dan30677
Last edited by dan30677; Jul 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Response from Hobbyzone
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
How easy is it to change the radio system in the champ? I've heard it doesn't work too far out and I have a good 35MHz TX and RX going spare...
nirelandflyer is offline Find More Posts by nirelandflyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirelandflyer View Post
How easy is it to change the radio system in the champ? I've heard it doesn't work too far out and I have a good 35MHz TX and RX going spare...
I'll pretend I just didn't read that.

The TX is the issue, not the RX. You can fly a champ 1/2 mile away (beyond visual range) with a DX6i, DX7 or DX8.

Used DX6i's are going for $100 and I bought my brand new DX8 for <$185 Shipped to my door after I sold off the $200 in Extras that came with it (which took 1 day)

Crashing 1 plane because you were trying to use a Crappy, cheap TX on multiple planes practically pays for the upgrade to a real TX with model memory.

A REAL TX with Expo and dual rates makes planes that are unflyable, flyable and makes flying anything beyond a Champ so much easier. The Model Memory is just a bonus.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
+10, and ditto, ditto. Well said, take notice new people, and enjoy the knowledge.

Just hooked up an E-flite UMX MiG 15 to my DX6i. What a natural!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,583 Posts
dan30677...

This same thing just came up in another thread... has me stumped because, until I bought and started using my DX6i, I had 4 different helis ranging from a mcx to a 120sr all bound to my DX4e at the same time... all I had to do to fly any one of them is turn on the Tx, choose any one of the 4 birds, and plug its lipo in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
I had no problem flying with the stock Champ TX, it was designed for a small park and so I kept it relatively close in. When I got a DX6i the Champ was let loose on a much longer leash.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
... speaking from experience (I think you said you haven't flown it yet)
I did at last!

First try was frustrating, too much wind, no experience with the bird, wrong TX settings, not to mention trees.
It took my gf and me about an hour to get the Champ out of the second one.
And of course, being overconfident, I didn't remove the wing struts first, so I DID get to test their self-separating capability.
As planned, upon impact in the treetop, they slid perfectly out of their connectors,
except one of six, which was a bit tight and was torn off with minimal damage to the wing.
It was mostly sticking to the paint and not the foam, as with your rudder strut.
The struts themselves were undamaged.
Did I mention I hate trees?

Yesterday was dead calm though, the TX was set to propper rates, the struts were removed, and I found a field with far lesser and smaller trees.
Starts from pavement, cruising around, even one or two passable landings, amazingly how natural everything goes with the yellowbird.
Must have been grinning like the guy on the package.

Today was even better, light but constant wind, so I got a feeling for how it impacts the flight.
It was noticeable, but didn't impact handling too much with the heavier landing gear and the 160mAh Hyperions.

Great little bird, definitly on my personal TOP 5 of birthday presents ever.

Also, my waterslide paper arrived, so the modding will go ahead as well.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Anyone know where there might be pics and or instructions for replacing the tail feathers? After many glorious hours flying my Champ, she is need of new ones... Only took one time hanging in the trees! New ones are on the way, but I cant find a guide on here for a newbie trying to replace them! Thanks!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo