HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattflyer View Post
rwek, yes CP is a lot more intensive in many ways, a lot of people do give up, but for the ones that suceeds, it's a real kick. I recently read that over 140 registered pilots were at the heli jamboree in Muncie (AMA site) last August. That's an awful lot of pilots who are wiling to travel from points all over the world to be a part of the heli craze. It's doable, it not easy or inexpensive to learn, I'm 66 years old and would be considered by many to old to take on the heli experience, but I'd been flying about two years now and can fly a little inverted (on my other heli's) or a roll now and then. If you decide to keep at it and desire a faster reply to some of your SR questions, my e-mail direct is dbebber@yahoo,com or phone (772-778-8627 house) Don
I appreciate the offer. I would love to be able to fly a cp heli but it's doubtful that's going to happen. In the meantime It's put on a shelf for now. Not sure what it needs at the moment and not in a hurry to figure it out. Aside from the incident I described above, it is in great shape with 2 sets of new blades. Anyone interested?
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
I never could get my SR to fly since I got it new I have the bigger one not the 120. The stock TX the rates are way to fast for me. I put it on my TX9 and toned down the rates but it still wants to go left on lift off. (more left than normal) The swash is level. What is the mix 60 A 60 E 60 P or 60 A 60 E 45 Pitch or have I missed something. also pitch curve settings would be nice. Most of the Video's show spectrum tx settings and all my other Heli's are on my flysky tx9. I like the heli but most every time I try to fly it I take out a set of blade grips.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:42 AM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
SR settings

rpc4,

Are you using stock firmware on your tx9? I have a Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware. I have tamed the SR way down for liftoff then more aggressive with idle up for fast forward flight ( fff ). I do not remember the stock firmware but I think it has curves. I do not use exp or dr, but use curves and the 3 position switch for different flight modes.
mmilan is online now Find More Posts by mmilan
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilan View Post
rpc4,

Are you using stock firmware on your tx9? I have a Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware. I have tamed the SR way down for liftoff then more aggressive with idle up for fast forward flight ( fff ). I do not remember the stock firmware but I think it has curves. I do not use exp or dr, but use curves and the 3 position switch for different flight modes.
My flysky TH9x is identical firmware as turnigy TX9 what did you use for mix values I have 60 60 60 same as my trex but it dont fly like the 450 It's been a shelf looker for a while now. I guess I should tx to newer firmware
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:53 AM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
SR settings

rpc4,

With er9x, which has far more capabilities than the stock firmware, I do have exp and dr for normal mode on Ail and Elev only. I use 45 exp and 80 dr for both in normal mode. In idle up I use 20 exp and 100 dr for both. The curves for throttle and pitch are:
Thr Normal mode: -100 -34 30 70 90
Pitch: -50 -21 0 50 100

Thr Id1 80 70 60 70 100
Pitch -100 -50 0 50 100

This is fairly tame and lethargic ( I need that for this heli)
If your SR is lunging to the left on liftoff then you need to adjust the swash to the right until you liftoff with very little left tendencies. It may not appear perfectly level staticly but you want the functional "leveling". Remember too that the SR is a little tail heavy and is therefor a bit unstable. Be sure ( with small amouts of nose weights ) to get the CG right. It would be well worth your time to flash your TH9x with a good firmware. Er9x is a good one to start with. How are your soldering skills?

Mike
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Thanks Mike, I always thought level was where things had to be looking at some of my 100 size heli's the swash is leaning to the right. I'm finding out that things that work on the 450's don't work on the little guys. Lately I have been spending more time with my Quadcopters because of the weather, Never thought I would like them but they take crashes a lot better than my Heli's and are less expensive to repair.

Ray
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
Thanks Mike, I always thought level was where things had to be looking at some of my 100 size heli's the swash is leaning to the right. I'm finding out that things that work on the 450's don't work on the little guys. Lately I have been spending more time with my Quadcopters because of the weather, Never thought I would like them but they take crashes a lot better than my Heli's and are less expensive to repair.

Ray
Ray,
What quads are you flying. I am thinking of getting one to fly this winter indoors.

Mike
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
QUOTE=mmilan;23432768]Ray,
What quads are you flying. I am thinking of getting one to fly this winter indoors.

Mike[/QUOTE]

I have beetle v929 and a 230 I built with KK2 board. Syma x1 should be here soon. I don't like cheepy Tx's but you can and I do run them on TX9 The 230 is a little wild in the house the V929 is lots of fun I use Turnigy 600ma batteries like the ones for 120 SR You need about 9 feet of height to flip most any of them and get used to wide turns.

Ray
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:52 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Thanks, gives me something to shoot for this winter!

Mike
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Mike with 14 or so heli's i figured it was time to try something new out.

Ray
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:00 AM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
WOW Ray! So makes me wonder why you are messing with your SR, with its bad habits. Mine is much harder to fly than the 130x, in fact I had put mine up until I had flown the 130x enough that I could handle the SR. Now I find the SR slow, blunted in its response, and a little unpredictable. It's the only other CP heli that I have and is a good fit for my front yard and skill level ( less skill: more room needed ). At least I am not breaking it each flight unless the tail motor goes! Interesting observation, now that the heli is mostly flown in fff, I have not lost a tail motor. It probably overheats when hovering for long periods. Do you think it would be worth converting the SR to a belted tail? Or should I spend that money toward, say, a 300x.

Mike
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
I got a turnigy 1800-2900kv I'm putting on my Mjx f45 with 6 amp turnigy and 5030 3 blade prop. MJX ate tail motors bad, I took an old Heli Max and used a Mjx head with a Esky belt motor and canopy and it's the best flying Heli I own. Actually I have 19 heli's I'm am somewhat addicted to the dam things and now in my 60's not many days go by I don't fly. Back to the Sr my wife bought me the thing and said she wants to see it in the air. I threw it in the air once I got so pissed off at it. I love the Video of the guy at trade show flying the SR with one hand with stock TX and I wonder why you see so many of them up for grabs on EBay.

Ray
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Yes, I understand about beings a gift and therefore it is expected to keep flying. My SR is in the same situation. I now have 18 Helis, mostly coaxial and fixed pitch. I still fly the coaxials indoors. I too am over 60 (barely, haha) and find learning a new skill keeps the mind from atrophying. One (worthless project according to my wife) recent experiment was stripping the HP6DSM, that came with the SR, down to the gimbals,pots and their wires and transplanting the control board with its IR emmiters into the HP6DSM case. This gives me a very smooth and higher resolution of the DRIFT KING coaxials. Granted they are not much challenge to fly but are fun none the less. By the way were you able to get your SR to lift off reasonably straight?
Mike
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Mike it flies, I guess I expected more it's wicked unpredictable unlike my 450's and not a real power house almost lost it in a dive with lack of power to pull out. I have a 9116 and logged over 300 flights till pcb crapped out. That was one tough heli. I lost a Mjx f45 when pcb went it went full throttle with a full charge battery. I figured the guys in the space shuttle waved at it when by.never did find it. I enjoy the 4 ch Heli's more than the CP's I guess because I just like putting around and not doing stunts and their easier to repair. I have a Nine Eagle 180 and the only way I can fly it is to release it in mid air the dam thing will not take off from the ground with it's flybarless system. You would be amazed at he performance of the v929 It flies good in the wind and in fff it hauls. Tmart is a good place to get one online. Oh well enough of my rambling.
Keep flying

Ray
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:22 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
I'm looking for a Blade SR model template for er9x for the Turnigy 9x. Does anyone have a saved eepe file that they can post or email me? I would really appreciate it!
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna