HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Discussion
Art Tech XL Ec-135

Anyone have one of these massive 24" co-ax helis?
Please post a review if you got one in your hands already.
Let us know how it flies, blade strike issues, other issues.

Excited about this one. Hopefully it won't let me down.

Below is the specs:

-4 Channel remote control set includes complete Forward/Backward, Left/Right, Up/Down control (RUDDER, AILERON, ELEVATOR, AND THROTTLE)
-New 2.4GHz technology, with the functions of automatic identification and precise code pairing, strong anti-jamming, and allow more than 20 aircrafts to fly at the same field at same time
-Largest dual rotor helicopter in the market
-Work best for Indoor & Outdoor
-Driven by 2X powerful 380 carbon brush motors
-SUPER STABLE X-ROTATION SYSTEM, Easy to control
-Coaxial counter-rotating blades cancel out the rotational torque that makes hovering a conventional helicopter so difficult.
-Precise controlling and hovering
-Dual counter rotating rotor which eliminates the need for a tail rotor
-Rudder is controlled using variation in speed of each level of the rotor blades
-Reliable high quality mixer with built-in gyro board
-Pre-positioned servo mounts for easy set up
-Scale appearance
-Factory Pre- assembled, zero assembly time
-Suitable for Indoor/Outdoor/Backyard/Park
-Powered by 11.1v 1600mAh Li-polymer battery. Longer flight time.
-The main rotor blades are using top quality plastic materials, which is not easily break
-Digital Proportional Motor Speed Control
-Separate servos from mixer, more precision movement
-Trimming of servos can be done both on helicopter or on transmitter
-The Sliding swash plate can help you operate the R/C Helicopter Freely
-Approximately 10 minutes flight time on each charge - Optional Li- poly battery will help to achieve better performance and longer flight time
-Can be hovered with so much ease, you can do it with only one hand.
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2009, 07:53 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
I ordered one today but its not the XL. This one is powered by 2 370 motors. and only 17.7 inch blade.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Aug 05, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:04 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive View Post
Anyone have one of these massive 24" co-ax helis?
Please post a review if you got one in your hands already.
Let us know how it flies, blade strike issues, other issues.

Excited about this one. Hopefully it won't let me down.
I agree...Anyone have this yet, stores are sold out...
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:23 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
If anyone of you guys could read german, you could find a lot of stuff about this heli on the german forum www.rclineforum.de ... and most of the stuff that is written is not too good.

But as I did never have a heli from this company myself, I can only write what I read ... all hearsay (but a lot of people having the same problems at least allows to assume (yeah yeah, I know about assuming ) that there is some truth about the statements

BTW, Art-Tech is actually sold in Germany under the re-brand name/label CARSON ...

Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:51 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Waiting for more feedback on this one here in the states. Looks like Banana Hobby is carrying it branded under the "Blitz RC" label. There's a nice picture they have showing a size comparison of this big one next to the 370 size one.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1905.html

Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
I have this heli. The 2.4Ghz electronics have proven to be reliable, but I've found that the mechanical design is quite sloppy. This effects the flight characteristics and makes it so one must fly this bird with tender loving care to say the least..

I took SOME of the slop out by removing the part that couples the swashplate/lower blade grips to the outer shaft for spinning the lower blades via the dual linkage rods and replaced it with a more solid one of my own design that doesn't rely on centrifugal force only to couple these assemblies. I used a T-shaped large servo horn from the LHS as a base part and dremeled slots on both sides where the holes were originally. (the linkage between the swashplate and the lower blade grips passes through these slots, I can show more detail if anyone's interested) Next, I filled in the center of the servo horn with grey (when mixed) JB weld and when it dried (24 hours) I drilled it dead center with a #9 drill. Lastly, I drilled holes on the side of this part for the two small screws that lock it in place to the outer shaft holes.

The other major mechanical change I made was to go to an aluminum head inner rotor shaft assembly. The original plastic one broke if looked at wrong, and if any of you have tried to replace the flybar assembly into a new plastic inner shaft rotor head, you would have noticed how brittle the plastic was and how easily it could be snapped. (well, at least I did.. lol) I started with an aluminum rotor head upgrade for another heli designed for a smaller steel shaft. I drilled it out to fit the thicker EC-135 inner shaft and sanded off the plastic remnants of one of my broken inner shaft assemblies so that I could use the steel shaft for my new aluminum headed one. It was at this point that I discovered that the EC-135 spins the upper and lower shafts in the OPPOSITE direction of the 7 other coaxial helis I own! This meant that the aluminum rotor head had to be modified such that the flybar sits 90 degrees from where it was intended so that the flybar weights would lead the leading edge of both upper blades. Big story and a lot of machining involved, but I persevered. LOL

I loved the original scale body, but it was a pain in the butt to get at the inards with it and it could only be removed so many times before it was ruined. Because of all of this, I decided to give this heli a makeover. Some aluminum, a Honey Bee King II canopy, star wars female figure, and a carbon fiber tail boom complete with flashing red LED out the end later I came up with the heli you see in the enclosed pictures. The cockpit also has a blue LED facing the pilot. This heli flys night ops quite effectively. LOL

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:58 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiehatfield View Post
It was at this point that I discovered that the EC-135 spins the upper and lower shafts in the OPPOSITE direction of the 7 other coaxial helis I own! This meant that the aluminum rotor head had to be modified such that the flybar sits 90 degrees from where it was intended so that the flybar weights would lead the leading edge of both upper blades. Big story and a lot of machining involved, but I persevered. LOL

Robbie
Good morning Robbie,

excuse my stupid (?) question (but I didn't have my morning coffe yet )

Wouldn't it be possible to just change the polarity of the motors to make them spin in the other direction and then reverse the position of the blade (B blades to the top and A blades to the bottom) ?? Or is there anything I am overlooking ?

Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Good morning Robbie,

excuse my stupid (?) question (but I didn't have my morning coffe yet )

Wouldn't it be possible to just change the polarity of the motors to make them spin in the other direction and then reverse the position of the blade (B blades to the top and A blades to the bottom) ?? Or is there anything I am overlooking ?

Sven
That's a very intelligent question. I tried that, but I couldn't get the gyro to stabilize the tail. At the time I suspected it was because the motors weren't neutrally timed, so I went with modifying the inner rotor head flybar setup by 90 degrees instead.

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
6 Posts
BIG EC-135 Control Problem

I have the above rotor, but having problems, on investigation I notice, the control is a 120 Degree control head on the swash plates, but when I press forward on the pitch control, the right one moves, giving the heli a forward left control, and when I use right aileron, the left 120 rises, give the heli a forward right pitch.
this is wrong, but I can not find a way to get the control to work correctly,
from what I see, when I press forward on the control, I should get both to rise, when left or right, then the left or right should drop and opposit side should rise, it seems like it is programmed wrong, but can not find any control references for this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
cyberience is offline Find More Posts by cyberience