SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by jimw1956
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
338 Posts
Discussion
Tinkering with an oldie - Blade CP PRO

First off, let me say that this is a part of the RC hobby to me,,, repairing and flying some of the older helicopters that so many learned on over the years. I say this to ward off those (well meaning I'm sure) that will post warnings about how bad and outdated these machines are, etc. I'm fully aware of the technology involved with these. I own several modern flybarless helicopters that I fly regularly that are a pure joy to fly and ultra stable and dependable. However, I still enjoy messing around with the oldies too.

Someone recently gave me a Blade CP Pro, stock in pretty good shape. After putting a new set of blades on it, checking the setup and putting a few things back to their stock settings, I got to take it out for a flight today.

All I can say is if you've never flown one of these, you should sometime...it will give you a whole new respect for the pilots who learned to fly on these helicopters.

It actually wasn't all that bad except for absolutely horrible tail hold with the stock rate gyro and electric tail motor. It was very twitchy, not locked in well , etc. I know the shortcomings of electric tail rotor motor helicopters, but I have several that are actually fairly stable, considering.

I was able to hover it and contain it to a fairly small patch of real estate with relatively controlled flight. Hovered it several times and only tipped over once when it "landed" on somewhat unlevel ground.

Anyhow, my next experiment on it will be to install a heading lock gyro that i have in my junk box. If I can get that tail under control, stick an orange receiver in it so I can set some dual rates and expo, I actually think it would make a decent little park flyer on calm afternoons. I also have a brushless motor and ESC that I may put on it at some point.

Anyway, to me its a fun part of the hobby.
jimw1956 is offline Find More Posts by jimw1956
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by dadio
Joined Jan 2013
1,597 Posts
Tinkering is fully as much fun as flying for some of us ,me included ,just enjoy all you do and keep sharing how you get on with the modifications ,I'd fully believe that upgrading the electronics will transform it ,that's really where all the progress has happened ,not the hardware .
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:50 AM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
338 Posts
I put an esky hh gyro on it last night, haven't test flown it yet but tail seems stable on the ground. If that tames the tail, next mod will be upgrading the receiver to Spectrum so that I can set up some expo and dual rates.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:17 PM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
338 Posts
Well, I put the spectrum receiver on today and tried the hh gyro. Gyro works pretty good for a minute or two, then totally loses control of the tail.

I switched to another gyro and it pulses the tail motor on and off when it tries to correct the tail. I have no idea why. I have set everything up according to the manual and tried some other experiments but still get the on and off pulsing.

Oh well, I do have it flying quite well with the stock gyro and the spectrum dx6i, it could be that the gyros I have or not compatible with the ESC I suppose as they are quite a bit newer than the ones intended to be used with it.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,814 Posts
I have two RTF Walkera 22E's. I had one flying but old batteries were shot. they need new li-pos. Old ni-cads were shot. Kinda cool as canopies are clear. some day take a looksie at them, or sell them cheap.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04