Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
We stopped by Dad's Friday, and missed spectating the ALES contest. That's OK! Next year, we drive on Thursday.

No wine for me. A couple more bottles of water, a snack, some Excedrin, and a nice, looooooong bath, and I'm good. Now we're watching a movie and enjoying another snack. In half an hour, it's lights out to do it all again tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a bit closer to the forecast tomorrow.

The Spirit E is fixed with a bit of thin CA. (yeah, I cheated) Good as new!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:31 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Oh, Rob: I'll be posting pictures Monday, hopefully.

I'm about to throw my brand-stupid-new rechargeable batteries across the room. One pair quit early, and the second pair never powered up the camera. Grrrr!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:47 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Oh, by the way, mixing in a little wine in the evening has a medicinal effect - helps to rehydrate, relieve stress (if you have any ), and help you sleep well. At least it seems to have that effect on me!

Rob
Oh absolutely. Better than any prescription for a full nights sleep. All joking aside. I don't suffer much from stress as I really try to keep everything under control with no surprises but as I've mentioned before the On/off switch to my brain is stuck in the "on" position. I lay in bed and watch the movie unfold with no chance for slumber. It's never anything important, maybe a house remodeling idea or a project at work I'm planning but sleep often doesn't come easily for me. I really thought that by my somewhat advancing age (55) my tired old bod would take over and I'd pass out at a reasonable time whether I wanted to or not but so far no luck.

This has been with me, realistically, all of my life. My dear departed mom took photos of me in diapers when I was a little guy sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal in my lap watching the test pattern at 0 dark thirty. Remember that test pattern? The one with the Indian in the middle and the clock face or whatever surrounding it? If you're under 50 forget it, I'm talking black and white TV days. Mom got so weary over it that she rearranged the kitchen with everything dangerous up high and all of the food in the bottom cabinets along with bowls and spoons down low and the milk and juice at 3 year old height in the fridge. I had my own self-serve breakfast buffet at the age of 2.

We all thought it was cute until I had kids of my own. Then my youngest baby girl came along. She is the exact same way. She is now 30 and is still known to call me at 2:30 AM with a brain storm. I've threatened to shoot her but what can I say? Genetics.

My day is to wake up NLT 4:15 AM and walk around zombie-like drinking coffee and tinkering until at least 5:30 when I actually try to accomplish something. It usually involves reading one of the myriad of useless serial novels I'm in to. Then around 6:00 I turn on the TV, get really pissed off at the news, then go rouse the dog. And that gets him mad. He feels (and we've had this discussion) that no one, man nor beast, should experience daylight before 8:00 AM. He reluctantly follows me outside for our morning constitutional. At that point we both relieve ourselves at the "Zen tree", the one where all enlightenment and the truths of life are revealed. After that uplifting experience I come back in to consume more coffee and he.............................goes back to bed.

We had a party a few years ago and most of the dudes were in my age bracket. One of the guys mentioned that he had been to the doctor a week before and his physician had prescribed Lunesta for him. He went on to tell us all about the indescribably good night's sleep he was getting. The bunched up group of us around him looked like a Crack dealer on a Saturday night. Talk about prescription envy! Worse than Crack, a really pleasant night's sleep would be worth selling our wives into slavery.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:15 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Oh, Rob: I'll be posting pictures Monday, hopefully.

I'm about to throw my brand-stupid-new rechargeable batteries across the room. One pair quit early, and the second pair never powered up the camera. Grrrr!
Hi Katie, cheers for the pic, what I would give to be there!

Withe the batteries I have had the same happen more than once so now I cycle them at least a few times on the charger before use, even eneloop NiMH's, it tends to bring them back to life after a dull beginning on some shelf. Chances are Katie you do this too but just thought I would throw it out there.

- Hey there is nothing like good cold ginger beer on a scorching hot day!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:56 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I think I'll stick to eneloops. What ARE eneloops, anyways? I thought it was just a brand, but a lot of people swear by them as if they're an different kind of NiMh.

Yesterday was a comedy of whoopses. When the first round came up for the GL, I found that I had lost bind. When I went to bind it, I discovered that the trainer switch, AKA the bind switch, on the Tx was broken off in the on position. ****! Instead of having to re-bind every time I powered on, I first flew the round with the SE, and then went down to the vendors booths and got me an Airtronics Rx $$$! and started programming it. Neither me, nor Bob McGowan, nor another Air. expert could figure out why the dumb radio would work with the rudder on the rudder stick, but not the aileron stick. We finally gave up and tied the ailerons to the rudder 100%, and called it good.

The next few flights were uneventful, except when I turned around too fast and the Tx on its lanyard hit the SE and popped a hole in the silk. ****!!!

Around noon my freshly-charged-that-morning Tx battery was down to one third. Bad cell! That battery was doomed to fail, most likely mid-flight. Back to the vendors, who didn't have any. Wait! One guy, I'll have to post the company name when I can find it, offered to break down a bigger pack and re-arrange it to fit the Tx. What a sweetie! This guy takes eneloops, matches the cells to .01 volts, and cycles and charges them after assembly. Niiiiice! My radio will last all day on this 2,000 MaH pack.

I wasn't too good at hitting the landing field, though, and landed out many times. Who's cares, I was having FUN. I had the GL in this one big, dusty the thermal with about thirty other planes (no kidding), with the camera running and was doing well for about five minutes, but then managed to fall out of it. I was close to the field, but still managed to find all the sink between the thermal and the grass.

The best round was, believe it or not, with the full house SE, which is hard for me to control still. I managed to SPECK it, make a time of 9:12 out of 10, and HIT THE GRASS, all apparently (oops!) in "speed mode" with the flaps bumped up 1/8". I need to put a detent in the left stick, I really do. How?

Later, as the winch bosses were coaching me on better launches, I put a bit too much tension on the line, and the SE greased out of my hand. That doped silk is slick! I was holding it low, (wasn't ready to launch) and the H-stab hit my hand, knocking it half off. Lucky it was only half! I got it down, fighting a thermal the whole time. The SE's flaps only slow, they don't kill lift too well. I need to put crow back in.

Well... Breakfast now, and more flying! Wish us all luck!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:25 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Katie,

What Steve said. Your packs need cycling. New packs need to be exercised to attain best capacity and to somewhat equalize them.

Eneloops are NiMh packs for lack of a better description. I can't remember right now what they're actual chemical makeup is. They have extremely low self-discharge rates and before leaving the factory they go extensive testing. There really is a world of difference between Eneloops and your average battery. I've now moved away from using any NiCad or NiMh packs since the newer generation of battery technology has made life so much easier and a whole lot less of a gamble with models. If your chargers are limited to Nicad/NiMh then do the Eneloops.

What kind of battery chargers are you using?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
.... My dear departed mom took photos of me in diapers when I was a little guy sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal in my lap watching the test pattern at 0 dark thirty. Remember that test pattern? The one with the Indian in the middle and the clock face or whatever surrounding it?...
Yup, I used to do that too, waiting for the "Sky King" TV show to come on. Sometimes I even got to watch the "salt and pepper show", which was what was on before the test pattern.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:25 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
951 Posts
Katie,

It was good to meet you yesterday.

I think your Silk GL was a hit with everyone. I'm glad your having a good time and like our facility. It's a bit more crowded than when I fly. I usually fly during the week and have the place pretty much to myself. I heard we had I think it was 240 planes registered. I don't know how that relates to pilots,because most have more than one plane.

Here's a couple pictures I took yesterday.I even got a couple pictures of the Colonel still flying,94 years old. I'll try and get more pictures today. I was too busy yesterday on the winch and scoring.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:46 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
'm jealous of all you guys getting together and having a good time this weekend.

More photos!!!!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:58 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Katie,
There really is a world of difference between Eneloops and your average battery. I've now moved away from using any NiCad or NiMh packs since the newer generation of battery technology has made life so much easier and a whole lot less of a gamble with models. If your chargers are limited to Nicad/NiMh then do the Eneloops.

What kind of battery chargers are you using?
Second the change to a LiPo Tx battery, there is bound to be one that fits well enough into your Tx casing and wow, Tx charge worries on the field are then a forgotten thing of the past, just like tomorrows election campaign promises.

Hi Eddie, I love the sea of wings picture. The incongruous FW190 gave me a good smile too, someone had a sense of humor.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Second the change to a LiPo Tx battery, there is bound to be one that fits well enough into your Tx casing and wow, Tx charge worries on the field are then a forgotten thing of the past, just like tomorrows election campaign promises.

Hi Eddie, I love the sea of wings picture.
Yep! Lipos in the TX and Life or Lipo for the rx. (Unless something even newer and better is out, I don't keep up).

I can't believe how long my radios like the 9303 can run on one charge. Only thing I do different on the Lipo Tx pack is to limit peak voltage to about 12V. Packs not 100% full but I don't like how hot the module feels above that threshold. Besides, even at 80% or so the pack will last a LOT longer than I will at the field.

I like to come back from flying and charge. When I get ready to head to the field everything is ready to rock and roll.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Did something I have not done in about a year and a half... play with my woodie

Seemed like this would be a good place for this post:

Phases of hobbies come and go. When I moved to my current location, flying where I used to fly became a 50 to 60 minute drive... so it was always easy to talk myself out of it. And I did many many times. No matter; I had astronomy and rocketry to keep me out of trouble!

Then it happened... a few days ago, practicing flying a Heli on Real Flight, I loaded up the Bird of Time and flew ti around a few flights... All of a sudden the my 3 meter woodie was callin' my name... "Fly me... fly me... Jeff... fly..."

That was that. Looking at the AMA map I found SULA and the Field of Dreams. I had not known of the group. And close! a 15 minute drive.

So I make contact... yes they fly 3 times a month there... Excellent!

Then I find out ... there will be no winches on the 7th... all the glider guiders are in Visalia! Ok ok new plan, out with the 3 meter and in with the 2 meter. No worries... thats what hi-starts are for.

I cycled the batteries 3 or 4 times on the 2 meter Gnome, yes... my old friend, built in 2003/4 (that is not the age of the battery!)... dusty, beaten, battered, patched, but not defeated RES Midway Models Gnome and patched a few covering spots.

I had to put an RX in there... long story... but I wound up using an Orange RX with a satellite and my new to me el cheapo eBay 2.4ghz JR9303. I found the JR pretty easy to program. Almost as easy as the SD-10G (my fav). Set up a spoilers to elevator mix... and for launching a rudder to aileron mix.

I was sure the hi-start rubber would break. Its not been used in ages. I even brought rubber to replace it. But nope! Worked just fine. The chute ring broke off once, but it was easily repaired.

Got in several flights. Of course I was so rusty I was all over the sky. Up down... up ... down... Call me a 2 minute egg! Darn thats a lot of walking... I miss winches!

Once trimed with the new to me radio, I started to find a groove... 3 minutes... then 4.... and finally a nice 5:02 minute flight. I set a spot and called it my landing spot. Missed it everytime!!! Gotta take out a little of the elevator mix as it was porpoising on spoiler deployment instead of the mushing I wanted.

Love the Gnome. Still indicates lift so nicely by lifting its tail... as if saying "Fly Me Up!! Come-on, a little up and circle please!!"
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:53 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
951 Posts
Here's some more pictures of todays contest. I left before it was over while they were flying their final round. I was going to take a picture of the standings,at that time,but I forgot.

I'll start of with a picture of our girl Katie. And another picture of the Colonel. He holds a record for flying a Twin engine mustange P-82 at the end of WWII and the plane is in the National Air Museam in Washington DC. I was talking to him today. What a great guy. In the movie Tora,Tora,Tora there's a scene when I think it was a B-17 or B-29 that was comming in for a landing without any Landing gear. That was the Colonels plane. There's a big artical on him,but I don't remember where it is. If your interested do a search for Colonel Thacker.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Last edited by hog2soar; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:53 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Excellent post!

I know all of us get off looking at the latest greatest and are constantly looking forward to the new bird, but............

I have the most fun dragging out an old friend, dusting it off, new batts or whatever and flying it. I think a lot of new people to the hobby think that if it isn't the newest or a design no more than 3 years old then it's junk and not worth messing with. Nothing could be further from the truth. That Gnome is a fine airplane (and prettier than the pilot! j/k) and handles the objective just fine.

I'm guilty of making excuse to NOT fly too. I'm only 1.5 miles from my field but I feel guilty if I do anything other than concentrate on this house remodeling project. I hope to wrap it up soon though.

Yep, your post adds a refreshing reminder of what we're supposed to be doing.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:57 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,754 Posts
Nice and that you found a close place too.
My Gnome 2mSS is in the que.
The only thing I see are those archaic above ground utility cables n poles.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member