HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:09 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,631 Posts
I'm not in the top 20% of pilots and my quick turnaround is different but much safer. I will come in and fly it right next to me and run with it if I need more time. I will land it but my hand will be inches away from the wing tip as it touches down. The flaps are pulled back as soon as it landed and I had already switch to launch mode while coming into the landing. I grab the tip turn and burn in launch mode and switch to cruise at the top.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2013, 09:35 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Thanks heaps guys,

I fly Mode 1 so have to let go of the brakes to catch, which hasn't been working very well and I confess I haven't done it much because it's too easy to damage the plane.

Fortunately, I have a 12 FG. so I am asking for help from the gurus to see if I can just use the spring-loaded preset switch but have it delay re-enabling the brakes for 3-4 secs when released. I think that's do-able and if so will give me a much better chance at catching because everyone has said to leave the brakes on until the peg is caught.

Ken
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Sep 02, 2013, 12:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,320 Posts
I like to bleed off most all of the energy just before the plane gets to me, then I let go of the flaps and get my finger into position for the launch preset.... Then I reach out and grab the slowly flying plane, spin and launch. I'm still not real good at it but I'm improving.

I've tried the running beside the plane with mixed results. Ever flown your plan sitting on your @ss? I have....
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 02, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 01:53 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
One thing that helped me be able to do a turnaround at all was being told to fly the plane past you, and reach out to grab the wing as it goes by, like Wiz said. If you miss the catch, the plane should land a ways away from you, not stall just out of reach. Getting the timing down to make it a useful skill in competition is a different thing altogether, and not one I'm qualified to comment on.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 02, 2013, 02:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,319 Posts
I also fly mode one (right handed) and I use a switch on the left side of my evo to cancel stick to flap function and set the camber and elevator for ultra high speed trim. Then just below the switch is a button that I use to select my launch preset. as I catch the tip I flip the switch resetting the wing and as soon as I flip the switch, I push the launch preset button which gives the zero camber and extra up elevator needed to pitch up as I release. once the nose is pointed upward, I release the button and as the glider is climbing, I ease the throttle stick forward. No slamming from rubberbands or springs... as I approach pushover, I flip the switch on the left side back to flight mode. easy-peasy Lol!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:19 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
I also fly mode one (right handed) and I use a switch on the left side of my evo to cancel stick to flap function and set the camber and elevator for ultra high speed trim. Then just below the switch is a button that I use to select my launch preset. as I catch the tip I flip the switch resetting the wing and as soon as I flip the switch, I push the launch preset button which gives the zero camber and extra up elevator needed to pitch up as I release. once the nose is pointed upward, I release the button and as the glider is climbing, I ease the throttle stick forward. No slamming from rubberbands or springs... as I approach pushover, I flip the switch on the left side back to flight mode. easy-peasy Lol!

Charlie
I do the exact same thing with my 9303, I use the aero version which has a two position switch on the top and a push button next to it. I flip the switch into launch mode with my left hand as I let go with my right hand of the tx and reach for the model. As I start my rotation I press the push button for launch preset. After release the stick goes up and I switch into flight modes at the end of the pushover.
This gives me the best feel and control on approach without a spring or rubber band to fight for the required flaps on approach. I tried the spring and hated it...
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Sep 03, 2013, 05:25 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
698 Posts
Guys, I created a new thread to discuss launch settings: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1989645
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG