HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Well, I have looked at the schematic and code at the bottom of Sparkfuns page but it appears I am missing some knowledge on connecting it and getting the code to compile with the arduino - So I am looking for some help Have you got something that works with the arduino and sparkfuns board?
I looked also and was disappointment. My Bad.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
That Ok rimshotcopter

So can you show a schematic and write a code that will compile and make my screen say "hello world" ?
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Quote:
That Ok rimshotcopter

So can you show a schematic and write a code that will compile and make my screen say "hello world" ?
Sorry I do not have one but here is another ODS with open source code: http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
That Ok rimshotcopter

Sorry, but I don't have a simple code available - only the mess I'm working on
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
narh, what the heck.. For those of you who want to have a look, feel free. But please be aware that it's in no way meant as a release-version

It should by no mean be used as a fully working version (though it most likely does work flawless ).

A few notes on schematic...
- MAX7456 crystal must be 27 MHz,
- C5 and C6 must be 47 uF
- Crystal-caps depends on the crystal.
- RSSI, current-sensor and RX+TX series resistor is just "random value" to get the footprint.
- Decoupling capacitors on Vcc (buttom right) is just to get the footprint for PCB-design. I will use what I have around and find suitable.
R5 and R6 should be 75 ohm resistors (video-impedance). I just put 82 ohm as the 75-ohm value wasn't in my library.

A few notes on firmware
- Very early version not tested very well.
LOS limit moved to around 50 kilometers
LOS will change from meters to km when above 10 km
UART uses interrupt for best performance.
Serial.print can't be used

Only ~30% memory used so far, plenty of space left.

If you have any questions or need help with the code, please wait until an actual release with a bit of explanation etc

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3947315/MAX7456_OSD.rar

PCB-design etc. will most likely be available later.

The main firmware is pretty much done - so I'm open to ideas
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Awesome work Dennis
Attached is a picture of the components which would be awesome to use if compatible with your program !
I'm hoping one of your (smarter then I) readers can use this image to sketch in the wires illustrating the connections, while you are continuing to polish your project.
Rick
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,
Your program is the first larger program for this MAX7456 that compiled for me.... and I have tried a lot, attempting to get this up and running -
Looking forward to hooking it up soon
Rick
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

The main firmware is pretty much done - so I'm open to ideas
I see code for artificial horizon, but see no hardware to support it?
And I'll repeat my self, add possibility to send data to the ground, please
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
I see code for artificial horizon, but see no hardware to support it?
And I'll repeat my self, add possibility to send data to the ground, please
The code for artificial horizon is not done at all. The rounding-errors should be fixed and tilt should be implemented with better resolution - but it's a start.
I will later add some gyro and accelerometer support and a little filter to keep it running smooth.

Sending data to the ground is not really an option with MAX7456. Using the audio-channel is a possibility, but as I use Lawmate, I don't really have good audio-channel to use.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
The code for artificial horizon is not done at all. The rounding-errors should be fixed and tilt should be implemented with better resolution - but it's a start.
I will later add some gyro and accelerometer support and a little filter to keep it running smooth.

Sending data to the ground is not really an option with MAX7456. Using the audio-channel is a possibility, but as I use Lawmate, I don't really have good audio-channel to use.
Why it is not an option with MAX7456? At the moment I don't see how those two things correlate, I just thought that MAX7456 will offload main processor, so it will be easier to add.

Haven't checked, but I think MAX7456 does not support VBI, so there's no ability to send data through video channel also - and I guess that cheap EasyCap ripoffs will struggle with VBI decoding.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:23 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Why it is not an option with MAX7456? At the moment I don't see how those two things correlate, I just thought that MAX7456 will offload main processor, so it will be easier to add.

Haven't checked, but I think MAX7456 does not support VBI, so there's no ability to send data through video channel also - and I guess that cheap EasyCap ripoffs will struggle with VBI decoding.
MAX7456 is designed to overlay graphics in the video. When using a part of the video-signal to transmit data, it would be preferable to "hide the data". Sure, you can still use a microcontroller to output some data, but atm SPI is used by MAX7456, serial by GPS and I2C by extra sensors. Not saying it ain't possible, just not straight forward. As I personally don't use antenna-tracker etc. I don't care too much about extra downlink information. My videolink will provide the necessary information.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:14 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Awesome work Dennis
Attached is a picture of the components which would be awesome to use if compatible with your program !
I'm hoping one of your (smarter then I) readers can use this image to sketch in the wires illustrating the connections, while you are continuing to polish your project.
Rick
Hook it up and let us know how it works
You should note that you will get some chinese-characters, until you load my character-set for MAX7456 (included in the code but out-commented as they only have to be uploaded once).

Connect it like this, upload the code and you should see the magic start . You don't need a camera connected, it will automatic generate sync-pulses etc. if no video-signal is present.

MAX7456 -> Arduino
CS - > PB2 (10)
SDIN - > PB3 (11)
SDOUT - > PB4 (12)
SCLK - > PB5 (13)

GND - > GND
5 V - > 5 V
Reset - > Vcc

- if anyone plan to actually test the software, please let us know how it works
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

Again, it all compiled first time !!!! - amazing job !!! You would not believe how many things I have tried that would not compile.

This evening, if all goes well, I plan to hook it up like this (see attached photo), unless I have something wrong ?

Rick
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

Again, it all compiled first time !!!! - amazing job !!! You would not believe how many things I have tried that would not compile.

This evening, if all goes well, I plan to hook it up like this (see attached photo), unless I have something wrong ?

Rick
Thanks
Your drawing looks right - just remember to connect GPS TX and RX to RX and TX on Arduino to get data. The signal from the current-sensor should also be connected, but start with just Arduino and MAX7456 shield.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
wow, that looks nice. Its been like 2 years since I first looked at this project, and I still haven't implemented this osd on my plane due to so many problems
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude