Find More Posts by kill000r
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
Discussion
Quad Planning Help Needed :)

hey there,
I wanted to build a fpv quadcopter in the near future and i thought i might get some inspiration from you guys with some parts.
So far i didnt choose a frame yet. I was thinking about something from 250 to 400 frame, preferably about 320. It should be made of carbon fibre no composite with glass fibre or any cheap replacement In my imagination the frame should have square tubes on the arms, that would be neat to hide the cables and less likely to break. Also you dont need any extra "mount clamp" for the motors like with round tubes which would add weight. Im not really thrusting the 2-3mm arms on the regular Frames like the zmr250. So does anyone know a frame like that or a frame that would be compatible with square pipes? The total flyoff weight with battery should be far under 1kg if possible, so the quad remains agile.

Next step would be deciding which flight controller to choose. I did some research and i kind of like the naze 32 or skyline 32 because i could add a gps later on. cc3d is also a cheap possibility but i read the naze flies better. Pixhawk might be too expensive for the moment and would feature too much stuff i woudnt need right now. but im considering it also. Any suggestions for the fc? Should i wait for the Advanced skyline which has also a barometer? Or what would you suggest?

Motors:
I was thinking for some cheap but powerfull motors:
http://www.banggood.com/DYS-D2822-22...-p-986145.html which KV would be best for a fpv/race quad?
Or maybe some of these : http://www.banggood.com/SunnySky-Ang...-p-978252.html Here would be also the question which kv to choose?
The motors should be able to carry my xiaomi yi for fpv(without gimbal) and manage to remain agile.

ESC: Which ones would fit with those motors? Are those 4in1 ESC a good idea? I read often about KISS ESCs beeing used, are those that good? I might go for some cheap ones that would do the job, if anyone could suggest me some?

Props:
Havent thought about them yet, might need a racing and a slow flight version.

Battery: What would you suggest? I wanted to go for 3S for the start because i only have a charger that handles up to 3S. Also most motors can handle 3 or 4S so i planned to upgrade maybe later to a 4S setup. Something around 1300mAh should be fine for racing i guess and something up to 2000mAh for hovering/filming.

FPV equipment:
I have searched for something to transmit the Video data, i really would like to have some range so i digged these out : http://www.goodluckbuy.com/2-4g-2000...pv-system.html
i read that 2.4g is nice quality/penetration wise. But maybe 2W is overpowered? Would i need some extra battery for the fpv or something like LC-Filter because of the motors?

TX/RX i think im going for the turnigy 9x, i have read it has almost 3km range, this would fit with my fpv equipment. Unfortunately not in stock in HK europe right now.

FPV Monitor: I think i would use my mobile phone with some cardboard goggles and an EASYcap. (If lag is not that bad.. if it is i might consider something else )

If i have forgotten anything please add the info. So far the Quad is only at planning stage, id like to determine costs and what exactly to order and i would aprechiate it very much if you could lend me your wisdom Im only experienced with micro quads and micro helis so far, so i really want to extend my horizont

Thanks and Greetings from Germany
kill000r is online now Find More Posts by kill000r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by cyberbillp
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,612 Posts
Can't fly 2.4 video, with 2.4 rc.
Kiss escs catch fire.
1300 battery probably won't lift 2822 motors.

Quads are very specific. Some race, some hover, some fly a long time. You'll need to figure out what you target task is, then design from there.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:15 AM
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
okay i guess theres interference if i tx is 2.4 and fpv also. Even if i choose other channels some MHz apart? I guess i could go for 1.2g fpv even if thats slightly more expensive. Not so sure about 5.8g fpv regarding range.
Okay i guess then no KISS ESC for me then :P i dont need some expensive fire in the sky i think its only important that they work smooth with the chosen motors (and dont burn up) :P

Okay to be more clear, the quad should definitely race with that fpv equip on it.
Any suggestions about frame and fc?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,612 Posts
You have to narrow down what your quad copter will do.

If you want to race it, smaller is better because smaller weights less, and more likely to survive impact.

If you want range, you'll eventually want UHF RC gear, and probably 1.2 video gear.

The best thing to do probably is find a multirotor that appeals to you and emulate it, or buy one close to it.

Range and racing generally are in two opposite directions in design. One is: Large heavy and stable with an auto pilot. The other; small, fast, nimble highly responsive with minimal automation.

I wrote this once before about the difference in design between range/video and racing:

Do you want to take pretty pictures, or do you want to scream like a school girl as you slam face first into a tree at 100kph, go replace the props and do it again?

Big difference in designs, and you really can't do both. Build two machines if you want to do both. :-)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 02:33 PM
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
hmmm how bout racing with a pretty decent range? but still able to carry my xiaomi yi? thats about it.. it should be fast, it should do decent fpv... does any one know similar projects? size doesnt matter that much i could settle with an 250, but i really dont like those "plate" style arms im afraid they suck big time against bending if i crash (and i will).

Greets
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill000r View Post
hmmm how bout racing with a pretty decent range? but still able to carry my xiaomi yi? thats about it.. it should be fast, it should do decent fpv... does any one know similar projects? size doesnt matter that much i could settle with an 250, but i really dont like those "plate" style arms im afraid they suck big time against bending if i crash (and i will).

Greets
I think the komodo is bigger with tube arms. It should carry a gopro style camera. And the vortex has tube arms.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:43 PM
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
thanks the vortex looks amazing but a bit too expensive for me i guess. I think i might look for a similar frame design.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,612 Posts
Maybe a mini mamba?
http://www.quadrysteria.com/store/c34/Mini_Mamba.html
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
i think i found a frame that i like and i have put together a parts list.
would someone please look over the parts and maybe give some suggestions on the Parts where im not sure. (Motors & FC)

For the frame i would like the Tarot TL250A

Motors:
Tarot MT1806 KV2280
OR:
EMAX MT1806 KV2280 Brushless Motor For QAV250
OR:
Emax MT2204 2300KV Brushless Motor For QAV250
these ones would be my favorites if someone doesnt have any better option for price/power.

ESC:
DYS SN16A Mini 16A SimonK ESC OPTO 2-4S 20-500Hz

These look great..small and light. I might want to upgrade to 4S later so i figured 16A fits great.

FC:
Im still not so sure if i should get an cheap cc3d or that naze32 clone (sykline32 Acro)

I have also made a more complete part list word file if someone would please look over.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1L...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot,

Greetings
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,612 Posts
The Emax 2204 are far better than the Emax 1806 for virtually the same price. Get the 2204.

You need 5v to run the FC, and I can't find where it says that frame comes with a BEC.
So, get a 5v BEC.

Naze and CC3D are essentially the same hardware. Toss up.

Looks good. Go with 5040 props to start. And likely an 1800 45C 3S battery.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by zaneycakes
Joined Apr 2015
20 Posts
I'd wouldn't use the tarot frame. there's not much room for anything. And if this is your first build, it will be a nightmare. And there is no protection for a fpv camera on that frame. Don't be afraid of the "plate" style arms, they are tougher than you think. A Emax Nighthawk frame is great to start on. Or a ZMR 250. The Emax motors are ok, but a fair warning that the motor wires are epoxy coated so if you cut them down, you will have to work at getting the epoxy off for them to take solder. and its not easy. The Esc's will be fine but 20 amp esc for 4s. I have both cc3d and naze 32 fc's. CC3d is easier with the setup wizard to get flying faster. but i've had bad luck with the clone cc3d boards. I now just use naze32 in my minis.

I don't know about your fpv set. 600mw is overkill for a mini quad. FPV has alot of factors playing into it. Just because the tx puts out more mw than another doesn't always mean better. There is alot of considerations in video transmission including antenna's and battery drain from a 600mw and millions of other things to consider.
zaneycakes is offline Find More Posts by zaneycakes
Last edited by zaneycakes; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Heli Newb
Germany, BW, Achern
Joined Jan 2015
56 Posts
well since the 600mW Tx is considered to fit exactly in the frame i thought it might be just right. I do really want to have some decent range with the quad. About 1km in open space would be great!
I saw countless frames like ZMR or Nighthawk but i really dont like them. (lots of reasons..)
I think its great that everything has to be thought out before building, i always loved neatly arranged cables (you should see my pc )so i think it will be fine, building is the most fun part.
FPV camera protection, well whats the 3D printer at work for if not for something like that?
I think i might try the cc3d from banggood and be hopefully lucky.
for the BEC situation i think ill order a http://www.banggood.com/CC3D-Flight-...-p-973352.html
and also a
http://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-3A...-p-915037.html
and figure later out which one i actually use.

If anyone has further suggestions that would be great, i think im gonna order stuff tomorrow. Theres everything on banggood exept good batterys i think ill get a 1.3, a 1.5 and a 1.8Ah battery from hobbyking and test out which i like most