New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by 400fe
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jul 2007
131 Posts
Discussion
Need recommendation for first Quad

I am looking for recommendations for a first quadcopter (or tri or hex whatever) that preferably comes RTF with a camera that takes nice quality pics and video. Not looking for a high end expensive brand name , just something already proven to be decent quality.

Also, a size that is easy to see when a few hundred feet up.
400fe is online now Find More Posts by 400fe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by Saker
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Feb 2015
30 Posts
Syma X5C-1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309651

Good entry level quad with camera that takes decent video.
Saker is offline Find More Posts by Saker
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Maxheadspace
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts
A Good Starting Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saker View Post
Syma X5C-1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309651

Good entry level quad with camera that takes decent video.
I agree the Cyma X5C-1 is a good starter quadcopter; lacking GPS forces you to learn good flying skills before moving up. And reasonable cost starting point, too. But I would not oversell the video quality. Video quality on mine is sorely lacking, definitely not usable for any form of production short of just playing back on your own computer (at least the one I got). Since it's not readily adaptable to a gimbal, it would be a chore to upgrade to a steady camera configuration.

For a more full-featured quadcopter around the $400 range, look at a Quanum Nova or Walkera QRX 350 Pro and an SJ4000 camera. All the GPS features you want in a good quadcopter. I have both and they fly pretty much equally well. The Walkera may have a slight edge in quality, though.

The SJ4000 camera is pretty close to GoPro quality in the 1080P range, and I don't know anyone who really has a usable 4K production line (a GoPro feature). With it's price tag in the $50 to $100 range, it's a pretty decent deal. And since I've gone through three of them for various traumatic reasons, the low cost is a big benefit. The cost of three GoPros would run me around $1200, while the loss of the three SJ4000 cameras only set me back about $180. And the camera is compatible with a lot of the GoPro mounts. The SJ4000 comes with or without WiFi. I've had both, and now opt for the without-wifi version. I never really used the wifi feature (it's not quite real-time video for FPV), and the non-wifi version has a pilot light on top that blinks to show when you are recording...a feature that's critical for me when you can't see the back screen (such as when mounted on the quadcopter).

I hope that gives you a starting point in your research. Good luck!

Max
Maxheadspace is online now Find More Posts by Maxheadspace
Old Jul 25, 2015, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by 400fe
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jul 2007
131 Posts
Thanks, ordered the Syma, will upgrade to a better one down the road.
400fe is online now Find More Posts by 400fe