New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Discussion
Yet another par identify thread

I had put this up in the power system thread and Jack suggested I come here for help- so maybe one of you guys can help me out. The pic is the back of a Hyperion Atlas 45a esc, the esc is still functional, but the part labeled 220 in the center is obviously broken. Can anyone Identify/and or give me a source where I can replace the part so I can save the esc?

thanks in advance.
5 oclock charlie is online now Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,344 Posts
22uH self

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1-1-ND/1555550
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 09, 2015, 12:32 PM
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Awesome! Thanks so much.
Old May 09, 2015, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by jakestew
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
Looks like there's a good chance you don't need to replace that. Only the casing on one corner has broken away. If the ESC works there's no point in replacing it.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old May 10, 2015, 04:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,344 Posts
This coil is part of the BEC.
"...ESC works..." above could mean it is powering the receiver and servos, not related to motor operation.
Old May 10, 2015, 03:03 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
If that inductor is working everything should work fine. If it's broken then nothing will work.

The uC draws its power from the switching power supply, so I don't think anything will work if that inductor is broken.

If you look at the picture I can see that the top left corner wiring is not damaged. Only the extra plastic casing has broken away. A normal inductor is just the round circle in the middle. They add the extra to square it off to provide for wrapping the wire ends into SMT pads. It's just extra plastic.

I'd just throw a few drops of epoxy on it so that corner wiring doesn't crush down and short something out.
Old May 10, 2015, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew View Post
If that inductor is working everything should work fine. If it's broken then nothing will work.

The uC draws its power from the switching power supply, so I don't think anything will work if that inductor is broken.

If you look at the picture I can see that the top left corner wiring is not damaged. Only the extra plastic casing has broken away. A normal inductor is just the round circle in the middle. They add the extra to square it off to provide for wrapping the wire ends into SMT pads. It's just extra plastic.

I'd just throw a few drops of epoxy on it so that corner wiring doesn't crush down and short something out.
That's cool, I thought the surrounding area that broke was a magnet, If I had known what you just told me I probably wouldn't have ordered the part lol.
I may just do exactly what you said considering I was willing to risk resoldering the new part to save the esc, but if its just plastic maybe Ill take the $1.96 hit and just throw some epoxy on it. That would save me from risking screwing up the rest of the esc soldering,
Old May 10, 2015, 07:57 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
A normal through-hole inductor looks like the attached picture. A SMT one is usually squared off to make it less likely to break off and make room for pads.

I'd suggest hot glue, but that inductor will probably get warm enough to make that not work, so I'd just do a drop or two of epoxy and save your extra part.
Old May 11, 2015, 08:36 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew View Post

Most ESC I know have a separate low power linear 7805 powering the MCU directly from the pack, without any link to BEC.
Without a picture of the whole ESC we can't say for sure if this apply for this case or not.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:39 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
That's good to know. The cheapies I use are running off the switching supply.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
United States, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Dec 2014
317 Posts
the exterior of the inductor is used for magnetic shielding. it is not made of plastic, it is ferrite material. It is a shielded inductor.
agree it can still work.
there is likely some reduction in inductance.
speedyb_tx is offline Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
Old May 13, 2015, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyb_tx View Post
the exterior of the inductor is used for magnetic shielding. it is not made of plastic, it is ferrite material. It is a shielded inductor.
agree it can still work.
Ok- so what does that mean? Will it produce less amps on the bec? The replacement part showed up today so now I'm debating whether or not to install it.
Old May 14, 2015, 02:25 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyb_tx View Post
agree it can still work.
I don't agree. You have a point to some extent, but higher DC losses vs. larger core losses isn't going to make any difference.

Whether it's ferrite or plastic, it won't matter. There won't be any measurable difference.
Old May 14, 2015, 02:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,344 Posts
Let it as is, if not a FPV plane or other kind having onboard multiple RF systems.

Even if the outer ferrite has some influence on inductance, measurable or not, its role is mainly as a shield, so in the broke area you might have now some spurious radiations, small enough to not influence RC system, some servos could have a lot more such radiation.
Old May 14, 2015, 02:50 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,113 Posts
From the pic it looks to me like the core is ferrite and the "shield" is a different material.

In any case, it looks like about 5% of the "shield" is lost. If you only counted the radius that is 100% of the way around then even less than that is gone. Seems like the top 15% of 20% of the circumference has broken away, that would be about 3%.

It can't possibly cause any measurable difference, and I'd bet money on that.