SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
889 Posts
Alert
Freewing 90mm T-45 Goshawk

This is the official discussion thread for Freewing's latest 90mm EDF, a T-45 Goshawk! I'm so glad that this bird wasn't leaked a year early like the F-16. Freewing recently announced it online (thank you to Levendis) so we're comfortable announcing it publicly to confirm. We're already slated to begin production next month before the Chinese New Year doldrum.

There are a few small details to the paint and decals which we're changing, but the time is right to announce the T-45. We've been developing it for several months with Freewing from the CAD to CNC prototypes to the finished product, endeavoring to make the most scale foam representation of this jet to surpass versions which have come before. I enjoyed how my 90mm Fly Fly T-45 flew, but it was nowhere near scale in outline and details. The CMP 90mm T-45 was a good flyer also under certain circumstances, but frankly it didn't quite "feel" like a T-45 for me, either. Both lacked PNP-level details and features which Freewing is known for. Other composite T-45s haven't captured the many intake curvatures, or the nose shape, or otherwise lack the features which I think make Freewing's 90mm T-45 unique.

To stand apart from other T-45s, this PNP model features plastic servo actuated airbrakes and plastic servoless-driven slats! The slats are I believe the first production release of a proper slat in a foam model. Other plastic details include vortex generators on the wings, exhaust nozzle, pitot tubes, antennas, arrestor hook, and cockpit parts. The sequenced landing gear utilize a four part nose door like the real T-45, and a two part main door assembly. The struts replicate the stance of the T-45, complete with long travel trailing link mains and a nose strut with tow bar and landing light.

Airfoil and ducting design give the T-45 handling similar to the Stinger 90. Its climb rate, roll rate, top speed, and overall agility are virtually identical. With airbrakes, flaps, and slats deployed, the T-45 can land at a slow jogging pace.

Specifications:
- Wingspan: 1238mm
- Length: 1435mm
- Flying Weight: 3500g
- Empty Weight without battery: 2,750g
- Foam: EPO
- Motor: 3748-1550kv outrunner
- ESC: 130A w/ 8A UBEC
- Connector: EC5
- EDF: 90mm Metal EDF shroud with 12 blade FRP impeller
- Servos: (7x) 9g metal gear; (7x) 17g metal gear
- Landing Gear: Full metal retractable main and steerable nose gear with shock absorbing struts and sequenced gear doors
- Required Battery: 6s 22.2v 5000mah lipo (8s 5000 and 10s 4000 can fit and CG)
- Lights: Fully scale landing light package
- Hinges: Gapless nylon hinges
- Format: Available in PNP and KIT+
- Availability: May/June 2015
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added specs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:58 AM
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
889 Posts
Side by side shot showing certain areas we tried to scale more accurately than other T-45s. Nose shape, canopy, antenna placement, landing gear location, pilot size and placement, intake shape (including the sweep up from the bottom of the intake toward the inlet lip), arrestor hook, etc.

Not visible in this picture is the complex curvatures of the main landing gear bays. The real T-45's wing underside surfaces for the landing gear is not flat, there are several curves to accommodate the bumps containing the landing gear. Rather than cut corners and mold a simple flat bottom wing, Freewing replicated the curves in this area.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:59 AM
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
889 Posts
The T-45 is the first Freewing jet to feature their newest innovation, servoless driven slats. The leading edge is molded from thin plastic. Aside from removing the risk of dinging a foam leading edge, the slats operate like slats instead of leading edge flaps. A retract motor drives a linear actuator along a track, which deploys the surface in the correct geometry.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Sovrin
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
599 Posts
NICE!!! i want one
Sovrin is offline Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:07 AM
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
889 Posts
Reserved 3
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Levendis
Leo Cheung
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
675 Posts
Beautiful...
Cant help but notice engineering improvements such as new radio gear location, subtle wing details, trailing link design, capacity to carry 8s5000, etc...
I look forward to seeing how those servoless slats operate.
Hoping for another home run for Freewing and MRC.
Levendis is offline Find More Posts by Levendis
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
22,341 Posts
Wow that looks great love all the things they did right
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:30 AM
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
889 Posts
Thanks for noticing, Levendis, I agree with you, it's the details which we focused on because as a modeler that is what stands out to me. The plastic vortex generators and servoless slats are features we don't see in other foam jets. Even my pricy composite jets don't have vortex generators, slats, or airbrakes! Let alone the plastic canopy details like the two different HUDs, I don't think I've ever seen that modeled. Not to mention the sweet light package. This thing lights up like a Christmas tree.

I'm still picky on a range of details, but at a certain point it's time to release it! Especially for this pricepoint, I still think this T-45 can't be beat.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by fishface5
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2014
678 Posts
I will be buying one. I love the look of the t45 I have the cheap 3s version and im so happy to see a quality version to come on the market
fishface5 is online now Find More Posts by fishface5
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
4,981 Posts
Freewing has raised the Bar...AGAIN... Well done guys... Nice one Alpha... So according to Freewing specs the thrust ratio on stock is 1:1...Is it faster than the Stinger 90 ???
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Jan 20, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Helibase
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
478 Posts
Very cool and super nice details, i am almost glad they didnt go for the f-15 and f-14 yet... They are getting better and better! one more jet (f-15) and FW is ready for their masterpiece, the swing wing super tomcat
Helibase is offline Find More Posts by Helibase
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
4,981 Posts
Hey Helibase... Another one for the hangar...
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,952 Posts
BOING!!!! SHWING!!!!! DRUUUUUELLLLLLLLIIIIINGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! (tongue hanging out)

sooo sick!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,952 Posts
ps...if you guys ever do a 90mm a4......it BETTER have those slats!! how sick is that!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Lenop
Joined Apr 2008
275 Posts
Just WAUW!
Freewing, you really, really rock raising the bar with each product.
Lenop is offline Find More Posts by Lenop