SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Bkndsdl
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Build Log
Sig Kadet Seniorita Build

Hello all, my name is Michael and I have been flying since around '94. My youngest son, Zack, has become interested in flying so I've started training him. We crashed our Avistar, and my younger brother had a Kadet Seniorita he had purchased with the intent of building it with his son that they never built, so I bought it from him and intend on it being Zack's first plane.

First things first - gotta have ailerons, and gotta have a four stroke. I had a Seniorita before, and it had a Magnum .25 (maybe .30) four stroke on it. It flew great, but the rudder limitation left a lot to be desired as far as flight performance. My trainers aren't just trainers, I twist them as much as they can be twisted, and lack of ailerons really put a damper on that plane. So, that's pretty much the only criteria we had to work out on the plane.
Bkndsdl is offline Find More Posts by Bkndsdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:58 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
First thing we had to build was the wing, so I wasted no time in figuring out what I had to do to modify it for ailerons. My first idea was to use the kit's trailing edges as ailerons and make up a new trailing edge, pushing the trailing edge farther into the wing and cutting down the ribs. Unfortunately, one of the balsa trailing edges was severely warped and twisted. So we decided to make new ailerons to go along with the new trailing edge. We did this by gluing three pieces of 1"X1/4"X36" balsa strips together, then cutting them to the correct angle. The ailerons were cut out of a single piece of 1/4"x2"x36" balsa. In the below pic are both the trailing edge and aileron; you can see the grain of the three pieces sandwiched together to make the trailing edge.

Once I had those cut (thanks to my lil bro's woodworking skills), I had to transfer the rib notches in the original trailing edges to the new trailing edge. I pinned the new and old together, and used my hobby saw and a square to cut the notches. I put a piece of duct tape on my saw and used that as a depth guide.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:59 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
I have made copies of the plans, so hopefully we will have updates this afternoon.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by NC E30
Slow Flyer
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
I have the same kit waiting to be put together. My plans are to convert to electric power, ailerons, and bolt on wing. Looking forward to your progress as it will get me inspired to get mine started.
NC E30 is offline Find More Posts by NC E30
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC E30 View Post
I have the same kit waiting to be put together. My plans are to convert to electric power, ailerons, and bolt on wing. Looking forward to your progress as it will get me inspired to get mine started.
Thanks! bolt on wing......hmmmm.........sounds like something to consider.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
4,003 Posts
just for looks, bolt on wings would be a good idea, as I am sure you already know( since you said you already owned one) that even with rubber bands, the cabin takes a pretty good beating even with a wing-over!

make sure you cut the dihiedral in 1/2 when adding ailerons!

after building a Senioreta for my son-inlaw, and flying it, I wish I had added ailerons!

and I would consider making it a tail dragger! if you flay in any kinda breeze!

just some random thoughts, hope you and your son enjoy the heck out of your new plane!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Yoda466
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
547 Posts
Build logs with kids involved are always some of my favorites. Looking forward to following this one, and wishing you both good luck on the build and the maiden.
Yoda466 is offline Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by Kimber
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Had one years ago and built another.

Will be watching this thread.

Old school, three channel.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Oct 28, 2014, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,397 Posts
I'm building a Kadet Senior with many of your objectives in mind. It will be interesting to see how you go about your modifications.

When I was young, my Dad taught me how to build. I'm sure that your some will treasure this experience for a long time.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:09 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
just for looks, bolt on wings would be a good idea, as I am sure you already know( since you said you already owned one) that even with rubber bands, the cabin takes a pretty good beating even with a wing-over!
Yeah, still mulling this one over. My son is anxious to get building, and I am notorious for taking my time in figuring out how I want to do something. May just stick with the rubber bands......this is a trainer afterall, and he'll need the wing to be 'adjustable'.......

Quote:
make sure you cut the dihiedral in 1/2 when adding ailerons!
I planned on removing some, just didn't know how much. Thanks!

Quote:
after building a Senioreta for my son-inlaw, and flying it, I wish I had added ailerons!
Lol, same here with my previous one.

Quote:
and I would consider making it a tail dragger! if you flay in any kinda breeze!
I had considered it, but I have to remember this is HIS plane, not mine, and he needs tricycle gear when he's learning to land/take off. I have several tail draggers that would be nice second planes for him. Crosswind isn't too bad at our field in Alabama.

Quote:
just some random thoughts, hope you and your son enjoy the heck out of your new plane!
Thanks, we plan on it!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:15 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda466 View Post
Build logs with kids involved are always some of my favorites. Looking forward to following this one, and wishing you both good luck on the build and the maiden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Had one years ago and built another. Will be watching this thread.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I'm building a Kadet Senior with many of your objectives in mind. It will be interesting to see how you go about your modifications.

When I was young, my Dad taught me how to build. I'm sure that your some will treasure this experience for a long time.
I hope so. We're a lot alike in our love of mechanical things, and building things in general.

Thanks for all the comments guys. We got the starboard wing plan taped down last night and got the wax paper over it. Next we will cut the ends of the ribs to match the new trailing edge. I also plan on separate servos for the ailerons, so some more designing going on there too.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by builderdude
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,503 Posts
I think it's great that you're getting your son into the hobby.
I kind of regret none of my kids wanting to take it up, but the truth is, I was too busy with life when they were young. So it's no wonder. It was a reawakening for me, about 7 or 8 years ago.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by goober
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Nov 2013
136 Posts
Hello, I hopped on board here, I am currently building a kadet senior, almost bare bones now,, I have changed quite a bit on it, will post a couple pics. You two ENJOY the build, I think its a lot of fun to build something and then fly it, it makes you appreciate the hobby better. but some people just don't have the time to build, and that's understandable in todays world.
goober is offline Find More Posts by goober
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by ckimmey
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
509 Posts
Goober, it's been a few years since I built my Kadet Senior. All I remember is that the plan for the wing didn't show the same chord as the actual wing. Have they corrected the plans yet? Luckily, the spacing of the ribs was correct. And, are you adding ailerons?
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Rclover23549
It's never done that before...
United States, NY, Dewittville
Joined Aug 2012
207 Posts
I bought a kadet project this summer for 5 bucks this is making me want to get it going. I really love this thread because it brings back a bunch of memories of my dad teaching me to build.
Rclover23549 is offline Find More Posts by Rclover23549