New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,536 Posts
With "complex curve" you mean using the extra 2 points between L-M-H, right? I used these too, when setting it up with the 7E stock firmware. I just didn't like the throttle/pitch response with a simple 3 point curve.

Would that "master file" be just fitting your transmitter, or also other Devo ones? I might be able to use it as template.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of various boats
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2015, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx View Post
Why not get ESC that works like CJ's or from BG ? Why so much hassle ? CJ's one has got noise problem but can be easily sorted by throttle trick. Do not know about the one from BG that one my be programmed ok. I would probably go for BG one

http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-MINI...C-p-76870.html
I use CL esc and good to go. I have one in my Genous c/p and motor from V100D03bl. Puts out some wild power. I had problem with that esc and C05m motor. It ran rough. I think it was motor / anyway CJ esc works fine. I used y-harness also. Real cramped under the hood but it fits. I did move holes for canopy about 1/8" to rear. I did not wnt to snap cabon rod.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 07, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
With "complex curve" you mean using the extra 2 points between L-M-H, right? I used these too, when setting it up with the 7E stock firmware. I just didn't like the throttle/pitch response with a simple 3 point curve.

Would that "master file" be just fitting your transmitter, or also other Devo ones? I might be able to use it as template.
As I tried to explain earlier, I don't know (remember) what the exact specific proper wording is for what I'm trying to explain. One of the reasons, is because it's been about 2 years since I've tried and eventually gave up trying to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface. Once I tried and was able to easily figure out how to use the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface, I've never even attempted to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface, so I simply forgot pretty much everything about it since then.

As for me wanting to choose the "Complex" Curve option, I don't choose the "Complex" curve option for its ability to use 2 extra points between L-M-H (because for the most part all my curves are linear - for the most part exactly they way Walkera and Blade recommends in their heli's User Manuals). If I remember correctly, the only reason I choose to use the "Complex" Curve option is its ability to use its "Mix" and "Page" features. In other words, using the "Mix" and "Page" features in the "Complex" Curve option was the only way I was able to figure out how to program the TX to "behave" the way I wanted it to for each possible TX switch position. Using the "Mix" and "Page" feature, I can pretty much make my Deviated 8S TX do anything I could possibly imagine without reading any manual or video.

I don't have the best memory, and its been so long ago, but I think I learned how to use the "Complex" Curve feature when I was first trying to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface. As I posted earlier today, I never was able to figure out the "Simple" Graphical User Interface, but as soon as I attempted to use the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface, the "Complex" Curve feature seemed intuitive, but maybe it was because by that time (after spending MANY unsuccessful hours trying to figure out the "Simple" interface), and had spend so much time messing with every single option, watching so many videos, and reading so many Manuals that the "Complex" curves wasn't really complex for me, the Complex curve "Mix" and "Page" features were the only "examples" I saw or read that really made intuitive sense to me.

I really don't understand your last question, so I can't even try to answer it. If you were in the US, I would be able to call you, and "walk" you through using the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface over the phone. I suppose if you knew how to use it, and if you wanted I could download Skype and voice chat with you that way? My communications skills are poor, so I actually struggle typing things on the web. If I communicate using voice, I can get immediate feedback, and know when and where I need to explain better.

Edits:

1) I understand your last question now, but still don't know how to answer it, because I have the Devo 8S and I don't know if its Model files are Devo 7E compatible.

2) I've read many posts about people not being able to figure out how to program their Deviated TX's, even after I recommend trying the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface. Maybe it's because they're using a different TX, and the Devo 8S Graphical User Interface is easier to use?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jul 07, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Apr 2012
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
As I tried to explain earlier, I don't know (remember) what the exact specific proper wording is for what I'm trying to explain. One of the reasons, is because it's been about 2 years since I've tried and eventually gave up trying to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface. Once I tried and was able to easily figure out how to use the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface, I've never even attempted to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface, so I simply forgot pretty much everything about it since then.

As for me wanting to choose the "Complex" Curve option, I don't choose the "Complex" curve option for its ability to use 2 extra points between L-M-H (because for the most part all my curves are linear - for the most part exactly they way Walkera and Blade recommends in their heli's User Manuals). If I remember correctly, the only reason I choose to use the "Complex" Curve option is its ability to use its "Mix" and "Page" features. In other words, using the "Mix" and "Page" features in the "Complex" Curve option was the only way I was able to figure out how to program the TX to "behave" the way I wanted it to for each possible TX switch position. Using the "Mix" and "Page" feature, I can pretty much make my Deviated 8S TX do anything I could possibly imagine without reading any manual or video.

I don't have the best memory, and its been so long ago, but I think I learned how to use the "Complex" Curve feature when I was first trying to use the "Simple" Graphical User Interface. As I posted earlier today, I never was able to figure out the "Simple" Graphical User Interface, but as soon as I attempted to use the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface, the "Complex" Curve feature seemed intuitive, but maybe it was because by that time (after spending MANY unsuccessful hours trying to figure out the "Simple" interface), and had spend so much time messing with every single option, watching so many videos, and reading so many Manuals that the "Complex" curves wasn't really complex for me, the Complex curve "Mix" and "Page" features were the only "examples" I saw or read that really made intuitive sense to me.

I really don't understand your last question, so I can't even try to answer it. If you were in the US, I would be able to call you, and "walk" you through using the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface over the phone. I suppose if you knew how to use it, and if you wanted I could download Skype and voice chat with you that way? My communications skills are poor, so I actually struggle typing things on the web. If I communicate using voice, I can get immediate feedback, and know when and where I need to explain better.

Edits:

1) I understand your last question now, but still don't know how to answer it, because I have the Devo 8S and I don't know if its Model files are Devo 7E compatible.

2) I've read many posts about people not being able to figure out how to program their Deviated TX's, even after I recommend trying the "Advanced" Graphical User Interface. Maybe it's because they're using a different TX, and the Devo 8S Graphical User Interface is easier to use?

Devo 8s and 6s are worlds easier to use in my opinion. the larger screen real estate allows for a smoother learning curve.

The ini for devo 7e and 8s are similar, however, the switches and their respective commands will be different. devo 7e barely has any switches.
Jon.M.Barter is online now Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jul 07, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by microrcfiend
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,725 Posts
Simple setup on deviated 7e is very easy and intuitive, you just get a vertical scrolling menu instead of icons to tap like the 8s, I actually find it faster to setup stuff on but no longer really use it due to the small gimbals.

What it should say when you turn it on in advanced mixer mode instead of 'deviation' is 'welcome to the world of hurt'. Ok that was a bit harsh but some tutorial videos would be golden.

Mini CP with the setup iv'e settled on after trying milder and more fierce setups. Enough power to be fun but not so much the tail isn't reliable. If only the v120 would take a tail motor lol
Mini CP BL - hp05 preferred 1S setup (3 min 11 sec)
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Jul 08, 2015, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
Devo 8s and 6s are worlds easier to use in my opinion. the larger screen real estate allows for a smoother learning curve.

The ini for devo 7e and 8s are similar, however, the switches and their respective commands will be different. devo 7e barely has any switches.
After reading your above post, I later looked at my Deviated Devo 8S's Mini CP settings (it's been about 2 years since I've looked at it), and now think I understand why people with TX's without the larger touch screen find the "Advanced" Mixer Interface difficult to program, because without seeing everything in that Menu all in one screen, it would probably be difficult imagining how all the various "Advanced" Mixer settings "fit" in the "big picture".

Also in earlier posts, I've repeatedly claimed I found the Advanced Mixer Interface was intuitive. That was probably VERY misleading. Now that I've refreshed my memory, I don't think the Advanced Mixer Interface would have been intuitive WITHOUT first having seen examples of it in the Deviation User Manual or YouTube video(s). As I posted yesterday, I first unsuccessfully spent many hours reading, watching, and messing with the "simple" Mixer Interface, and it was probably somewhere during that "quality" time that I learned how to use the "advanced" Mixer Interface. If I had to have used a different Devo TX with a scroll type of Menu interface, I might have never had figured it out, eventually stopped trying to use the Deviation Firmware, and just revert to using both the "plain" Devo and Spektrum DX7 TX's. Fortunately I figured out my Deviated 8S and like it better than either the plain Devo or Spektrum DX7. BTW, I sold my DX7 afterwards. Besides not being able to fly Walkeras with it, another feature I didn't like about it was its scroll type of Menu system. With the scroll type Menu systems, sometimes it takes about ten clicks just to find a certain Menu screen.
Last edited by i812; Jul 08, 2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Simple setup on deviated 7e is very easy and intuitive, you just get a vertical scrolling menu instead of icons to tap like the 8s, I actually find it faster to setup stuff on but no longer really use it due to the small gimbals.

What it should say when you turn it on in advanced mixer mode instead of 'deviation' is 'welcome to the world of hurt'. Ok that was a bit harsh but some tutorial videos would be golden.

Mini CP with the setup iv'e settled on after trying milder and more fierce setups. Enough power to be fun but not so much the tail isn't reliable. If only the v120 would take a tail motor lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qk0R4H-vNE
That looks like a fine flying Mini, and fine piloting as well
Old Jul 08, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
768 Posts
Quote:
After reading your above post, I later looked at my Deviated Devo 8S's Mini CP settings (it's been about 2 years since I've looked at it), and now think I understand why people with TX's without the larger touch screen find the "Advanced" Mixer Interface difficult to program, because without seeing everything in that Menu all in one screen, it would probably be difficult imagining how all the various "Advanced" Mixer settings "fit" in the "big picture".

Also in earlier posts, I've repeatedly claimed I found the Advanced Mixer Interface was intuitive. That was probably VERY misleading. Now that I've refreshed my memory, I don't think the Advanced Mixer Interface would have been intuitive WITHOUT first having seen examples of it in the Deviation User Manual or YouTube video(s). As I posted yesterday, I first unsuccessfully spent many hours reading, watching, and messing with the "simple" Mixer Interface, and it was probably somewhere during that "quality" time that I learned how to use the "advanced" Mixer Interface. If I had to have used a different Devo TX with a scroll type of Menu interface, I might have never had figured it out, eventually stopped trying to use the Deviation Firmware, and just revert to using both the "plain" Devo and Spektrum DX7 TX's. Fortunately I figured out my Deviated 8S and like it better than either the plain Devo or Spektrum DX7. BTW, I sold my DX7 afterwards. Besides not being able to fly Walkeras with it, another feature I didn't like about it was its scroll type of Menu system. With the scroll type Menu systems, sometimes it takes about ten clicks just to find a certain Menu screen.
same experience here. I learned to use deviation on a devo 6s. I got a devo 7e as an extra for work and found the menus way to frustrating to deal with compared to the simplicity and quickness of the devo 6s and devo 8s. There simply is no contest, deviation shines in the devo 6s and devo 8s.

The touch screen pen is not gimmicky at all and makes a difference. Anybody who likes to play with their curves and mixes and experiment would do well getting the 6s or 8s.

Devo 7e is understandibly overhyped because its so cheap for what it is and what it can do. But for mixing and exploring deviation it can definitely be more frustrating than it needs to be...
Old Jul 09, 2015, 05:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,725 Posts
Quote:
That looks like a fine flying Mini, and fine piloting as well
Thanks i812.

Now that Jon mentions it, deviation did sort out the really annoying inaccuracies in the 8s touch screen. I have two of them and they were both the same, had to press off center on icons and depending where you were on the screen it had to be left or right or lower than you needed. After deviation the calibration of the touch screen is close to perfect and a pleasure to use unless in direct sunlight. This alone is worth the flashing

The one I use for simming still has stock firmware as an emergency backup and when I do use the touch screen it's an annoying procedure.

I think holding down a button and scrolling should change the model though, the menu isn't streamlined for changing models in use which is odd as the tx can fly everything I own from micros to 450 helis
Old Jul 09, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,364 Posts
I think changing Models on a Deviated 8S is easy:
  1. Touch the Model Name currently in use, shown at the top-center of the display screen
  2. Select any one of the existing Model Names you've already pre-programmed
  3. Touch the Load icon button located at the top-right of the display screen
Last edited by i812; Jul 09, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 02:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,725 Posts
Quote:
I think changing Models on a Deviated 8S is easy:
  1. Touch the Model Name currently in use, shown at the top-center of the display screen
  2. Select any one of the existing Model Names you've already pre-programmed
  3. Touch the Load icon button located at the top-right of the display screen
Ok, now I feel stupid but so glad you posted this.
Thank you, your awesome.

I was tapping the heli icon, then spanner, then attempting to tap the tiny 'load' button, change model and then press ext 3 or 4 times to get out.

You have changed my life! Can you swap my boss for another one too please, then i'll be complete and we can work on world peace.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 04:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Thanks i812.

Now that Jon mentions it, deviation did sort out the really annoying inaccuracies in the 8s touch screen. I have two of them and they were both the same, had to press off center on icons and depending where you were on the screen it had to be left or right or lower than you needed. After deviation the calibration of the touch screen is close to perfect and a pleasure to use unless in direct sunlight. This alone is worth the flashing

The one I use for simming still has stock firmware as an emergency backup and when I do use the touch screen it's an annoying procedure.

I think holding down a button and scrolling should change the model though, the menu isn't streamlined for changing models in use which is odd as the tx can fly everything I own from micros to 450 helis
if the touch screen pointer is ever off, be sure to calibrate it. It is on the same page that you calibrate your sticks.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
if the touch screen pointer is ever off, be sure to calibrate it. It is on the same page that you calibrate your sticks.
Yeah, I have repeated that many times but stock 8s or at least the two I have are terrible. I know a couple others that sold their 8s due to that and the less than stellar battery door. First time that fell open I was pretty shocked. My nimh pack fell out on the floor and my heli fell to the ground leaving me holding a tx feeling almost as silly as not knowing how to quickly change model on a deviated 8s, for over a year and countless model changes.

So long as there's progress it's all good.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
955 Posts
Mini CP BL morning stretch :) (5 min 28 sec)

pitch reduced still lots of power
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx