New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,838 Posts
It's nasty stuff no matter how you look at it. Gloves and "a well ventilated location" would be my minimum precautions. But these ultralights never get the thinned goop treatment....too heavy. Lam. film ironed directly to the foam is the norm.

Regarding the sanding fuzz: I just finished my FishRay build recently. I did all my sanding with 120 grit drywall screen. The areas that I knife-shaped ended up as 100% fuzz. Then I sanded the entire surface where the EPP had been hot wire cut, to try to break down the hard raised edges of the cells. The 3 mil lam. film adheres much better to the fuzz areas than the hot-cut areas. In the "all fuzz" areas the film looks to be 100% attached to the foam with no voids. In the hot-cut areas, despite my sanding, the film appears to be mostly stuck to the rims of the cells with a slight void in the center of the cell. It's tight and I'm not worried about it coming off, but it's definitely not 100% adhered like on the knife-cut and sanded areas. On future EPP builds I will be sanding the hot-cut surfaces more thoroughly, to try to eliminate more of the "cratered" surface.

- Jim
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,888 Posts
Guys, you're free to think what you want and to do what you want, that was just an advice.

Two friends of mine worked a long time with toluene at their work (toluene + Colouring agent was used melted with aviation fuel and in our french air force to create the colored smoke of the aerobatic teams) and both suffered a brain tumor. One of them is dead.

If i'm not wrong the (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists) carcinogenicity A1 classification = Confirmed being carcinogenic for the man

Carcinogenicity A2 = Suspected of being carcinogenic for the man

Anyway, Carcinogenic or not... Toluene is dangerous if not used with a correct safety equipment and protections.

Sorry Jim for disturbing this interesting thread, i go back in my cave.

Cheers
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Jul 08, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by cglusky
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
151 Posts
We find the same thing Jim. You guys may also want to try sanding EPP with EPP. If you have some spare bed/shuck material try using some of it as a sanding block. Works surprisingly well.
R,
C
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by Rc247
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Just purchased the short kit cores from a fellow RCGer and look forward to the build... Who am I kidding I just want to fly this baby! Been watching the videos for years now and I'm ready!!!
Rc247 is online now Find More Posts by Rc247
Old Jul 20, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Rc247
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Started my build and wondering what side of the wings is the top... The spar side or does the spar go on the bottom? Looks like the wing is symmetrical but can't tell...
Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by cn0rris
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
697 Posts
It's definitely not symmetrical - I cut my own wings, so I'm not sure which side your spar groove is in, but if you look carefully you should definitely be able to tell the difference between the top and the bottom.
cn0rris is offline Find More Posts by cn0rris
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:42 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,838 Posts
It's typical to put the spar on top, so the wing is flat across the top when the halves are joined. If you know who cut the cores you could find out for sure though. The Le Fish foil is not symmetrical, but it's camber is subtle so it can be hard to see.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by Rc247
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Thanks guys! I got them from a RCGer but I'm sure he got em from "Flying Foam" and I just looked at the plans and answered my own question... Spar on top!
Thanks again guys!!!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:07 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,838 Posts
Build, build, build!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Rc247