New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:24 PM
crosstrim is online now
Find More Posts by crosstrim
"Rocket Scientist"
crosstrim's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
Balancing the blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastech View Post
... Something I'm going to have to get my head around when they arrive, is balancing the Aeronaut CAMcarbon 10x6 folding blades and the alloy hub and spinner. Not had carbon props before (there was no carbon around when I last flew a model), anything special to watch for?
I've been using the Aeronaut blades for e few years and have never had to balance one yet, so you'll probably be OK there. Lots of how too's on balancing blades & spinners here on RCG, just use the search function.

If your hub is a collet type (tapered internal jaws) then be sure to clean the motor shaft and inside the jaws thoroughly, and use a little lube on the prop nut threads. This will give you the most grip & avoid the dreaded phrase "any body seen my prop?"

ct
crosstrim is online now Find More Posts by crosstrim
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:21 AM
BilleFly is offline
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim View Post
...
and use a little lube on the prop nut threads.
...

ct
Will KY-gel work ?

Just Kidding !!

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:33 PM
mutha is online now
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
Will KY-gel work ?

Bille
No. But once your Collet and 3mm shaft are clean rubbing some ordinary chalk on will help keep it on tight.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:49 PM
crosstrim is online now
Find More Posts by crosstrim
"Rocket Scientist"
crosstrim's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
Lube me up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
Will KY-gel work ? Just Kidding !! Bille
Seriously though, KY is probably great, as I have used Petroleum jelly for this in the past just fine, and besides, who doesn't have a tube of KY in their toolkit?

According to my engineering buddy lanolin is best for aluminum spinners because it prevents galling of the aluminum threads, which can make it feel like the prop nut is tight when it isn't. I had some trouble finding it until a Google search informed me that it is commonly marketed for breastfeeding mothers (No Bille!, Down!) . Sure enough, found it in the baby feeding section at the local pharmacy.

ct
crosstrim is online now Find More Posts by crosstrim
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM
ZeniethLily is offline
Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
776 Posts
Experienced that first hand last week, when my spinner flew off in flight - fortunately while i was climbing, i managed to bring the phoenix back, land and walk out to pick the spinner up. Properly tightened it and doesn't seem to be problematic anymore.
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
BilleFly is offline
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim View Post
...
According to my engineering buddy lanolin is best for aluminum spinners because it prevents galling of the aluminum threads, which can make it feel like the prop nut is tight when it isn't. I had some trouble finding it until a Google search informed me that it is commonly marketed for breastfeeding mothers (No Bille!, Down!) . Sure enough, found it in the baby feeding section at the local pharmacy.

ct
Forums are GREAT ; you can learn a Bunch , (if Ya try) !!!

lanolin is also good for leather gloves ; makes a decent conditioner
for after when you clean it , (kinda like a two-part saddle soap).

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Rastech is offline
Find More Posts by Rastech
Registered User
United Kingdom, Wales, Haverfordwest
Joined Jul 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim View Post
I've been using the Aeronaut blades for e few years and have never had to balance one yet, so you'll probably be OK there. Lots of how too's on balancing blades & spinners here on RCG, just use the search function.

If your hub is a collet type (tapered internal jaws) then be sure to clean the motor shaft and inside the jaws thoroughly, and use a little lube on the prop nut threads. This will give you the most grip & avoid the dreaded phrase "any body seen my prop?"

ct
That's good to know ct, and yes, it's a collet type hub (4mm for the 4mm shaft of the motor). The kit arrived today, and, it has a folding prop, hub, and spinner in it! So something to start with. The motor has arrived (solid little thing), the batteries have arrived, the clevice thingies have arrived, the battery charger has arrived (iMax) - but the mains adapter is still in transit, and, and and . . . . .

the FlySky i6 has arrived! yaaaay!

Figured I have about 20 days for the rest of the essentials to turn up, so, given I can resist everything but temptation, and how fast the HobbyKing delivery was - I ordered a Bixler 2 ARF as it was such a good deal, with a couple of extra servos and a Turnigy 2200 3S (much heavier wire for the amps - that's all that put me off a Zippy which was a bit cheaper), and a 30 amp YEP ESC with a 4 amp BEC. (will be running 6 servos).

I can chuck the iA6 Rx in the Bixler, and by the time the metal gear servos, the iA6B and voltage telemetry doodad turn up (a bit essential to see what the volts are with potentially very long duration glides, especially as putting 1600 S3's in the Phoenix), I might even have gone past the crashing phase with the Bixler.

As an aside, I have spotted another kit I am absolutely going to have to get as well. Maybe for Christmas. /sigh

It's a dead ringer for a control line team racer dad built for me, after picking the kit up at a model exhibition in London in the 1960's. He also picked up a Frog 1.5cc racing diesel at the same time, and that thing really motored (it wasn't just my friends jaws that dropped when they saw it going - mine did too). Unfortunately it was so fast, eventually it exploded into little bits with an impact (even if hot glue had been available, no chance of repair). Motor was fine though.

Even the colour scheme is the same, and dad did a nice job on the paint:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Edition.html

I'll have to substantially detune the thing somehow, to tame it enough for my eyes to cope, but I am going to get it finished on the quiet, then hide it in the car, and cart him off to fly it somewhere on a nice day. At 89 years young he isn't going to be flying it though.

Not until he's got in the swing with the Bixler anyway.
Rastech is offline Find More Posts by Rastech
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Rastech is offline
Find More Posts by Rastech
Registered User
United Kingdom, Wales, Haverfordwest
Joined Jul 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
Forums are GREAT ; you can learn a Bunch , (if Ya try) !!!

lanolin is also good for leather gloves ; makes a decent conditioner
for after when you clean it , (kinda like a two-part saddle soap).

Bille
You get lanolin free round here - just grab some sheep wool off a fence.
Rastech is offline Find More Posts by Rastech
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
mutha is online now
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastech View Post
That's good to know ct, and yes, it's a collet type hub (4mm for the 4mm shaft of the motor). The kit arrived today, and, it has a folding prop, hub, and spinner in it! So something to start with. The motor has arrived (solid little thing), the batteries have arrived, the clevice thingies have arrived, the battery charger has arrived (iMax) - but the mains adapter is still in transit, and, and and . . . . .

the FlySky i6 has arrived! yaaaay!

Figured I have about 20 days for the rest of the essentials to turn up, so, given I can resist everything but temptation, and how fast the HobbyKing delivery was - I ordered a Bixler 2 ARF as it was such a good deal, with a couple of extra servos and a Turnigy 2200 3S (much heavier wire for the amps - that's all that put me off a Zippy which was a bit cheaper), and a 30 amp YEP ESC with a 4 amp BEC. (will be running 6 servos).

I can chuck the iA6 Rx in the Bixler, and by the time the metal gear servos, the iA6B and voltage telemetry doodad turn up (a bit essential to see what the volts are with potentially very long duration glides, especially as putting 1600 S3's in the Phoenix), I might even have gone past the crashing phase with the Bixler.

As an aside, I have spotted another kit I am absolutely going to have to get as well. Maybe for Christmas. /sigh

It's a dead ringer for a control line team racer dad built for me, after picking the kit up at a model exhibition in London in the 1960's. He also picked up a Frog 1.5cc racing diesel at the same time, and that thing really motored (it wasn't just my friends jaws that dropped when they saw it going - mine did too). Unfortunately it was so fast, eventually it exploded into little bits with an impact (even if hot glue had been available, no chance of repair). Motor was fine though.

Even the colour scheme is the same, and dad did a nice job on the paint:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Edition.html

I'll have to substantially detune the thing somehow, to tame it enough for my eyes to cope, but I am going to get it finished on the quiet, then hide it in the car, and cart him off to fly it somewhere on a nice day. At 89 years young he isn't going to be flying it though.

Not until he's got in the swing with the Bixler anyway.
The EFX is VERY quick and also breaks apart at 160+ kph when it impacts with the ground
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 AM
Rastech is offline
Find More Posts by Rastech
Registered User
United Kingdom, Wales, Haverfordwest
Joined Jul 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
The EFX is VERY quick and also breaks apart at 160+ kph when it impacts with the ground
Lol!

It's an absolute dead ringer for that lovely old Team Racer.

It's easy to see why dad bought the kit at the time, isn't it, and it will tickle him pink to see a modern equivalent.

But yes, I'm going to have to put in some serious detuning thinking, and keep the stock motor and prop, etc., to one side, so it can be reverted to original at some point.

There's a very good first flight of it I found on YouTube, of a youngster in Australia flying his around at 'sensible' speeds, and it looks to perform beautifully (and manageably). No point wearing out the 'good stuff' until I can see if I can get my reactions back (may be possible, I'm still almost as quick on a motorbike as I was in my early 20's).

Plus 'sensible speed' means dad will be able to enjoy seeing it flying around better. Can perhaps then look at getting FPV on it, so dad can have a headset for it as well.

PS. Just noticed something. I clicked on the link above to the EFX to have a little drool, and my anti-virus blocked one on that site. That's not very encouraging (first time it has picked up on one there, and I have been to the site a lot the last few days).
Rastech is offline Find More Posts by Rastech
Last edited by Rastech; Today at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:41 AM
headlessagain is offline
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,163 Posts
Another 4800 odd posts to read then! Here's the EFX thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2255899&pp=100
I have a part built kit version which I must get around to finishing. Slope soaring has taken over but I still keep an eye on the posts. I have a large 1800 kv motor on standby that should give me enough beans. Well it did rip the wings of a scratch built Funbat Maxi
Funbat Maxi terminal crash (2 min 6 sec)

Re taming it down. It might be possible to run the RTF EFX on a larger prop and 2s pack or just buy the kit version and install a lower kv motor so you can run a bigger prop (more thrust,less speed)and still use your 3s packs.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 PM
BilleFly is offline
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan View Post
Phoenix 1600 maiden. Hope this is the right forum since there was an old Phoenix 1600 forum but it looks defunct.

...

Sincerely,
Enjoyed your video !!!

I think you would Like flying the 2-M , P2K, with flap ?

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ohhh noo, 2nd flight on the HobbyKing Phoenix 2000 KillerCut Electric Sailplanes 16 May 08, 2015 03:10 AM
For Sale HK Phoenix 2000 glider blk822 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 23, 2011 07:21 PM
Discussion Still having electric problems with my hobbyking Phoenix 2000, Crashvideo kyrkbymannen Electric Sailplanes 3 Jul 09, 2011 07:34 PM
Discussion hobby king Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C Glider doomracing Electric Sailplanes 3 May 31, 2011 10:09 PM