SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Feb 2012
414 Posts
Thanks for the pointers Thomas. I'm traveling on business right now, but when I get home in mid July I'll go through everything you'd posted on here and hopefully get things working. The more I think about it and the more I look at the data, I'm convinced that I lost the binding for some reason on take-off - as you say, probably a voltage drop.

I'm wondering if people run a separate BEC for the receiver? I have a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC running the receiver, my Ruby and four servos. I'd have thought that would be good enough, but maybe I should dedicate a BEC for the receiver and flight controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer View Post
other things I could ask you to check:

the rx is rebinded after all tx side setup changes are done ?
this will store the hopper timing into the rx.

the tx is very powerfull and combined with a very sensitive rx specielly designed to give you best possible long range cabeabilities,
it is possible to overdrive the rx, if the tx is located too close to the rx,
just remember to keep a 2-3 feet safety distance then this should be ok,

when performing range tests, plane is grounded, and sequered so it can not take off,
tx antenna off, and tx moved away to the point very close to failsafe,
see plane go into and out of FS exactly as you planned and stored.
when ok,
move tx just a little bit closer, so you dont go into fs,
now move all sticks as fast and as crasy as you can while motor is at 50% power, continue for 2 mins,
this will reveal a possible weak BEC or servo current peaks if you got any such problems.
xtrmtrk is offline Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Feb 2012
414 Posts
Thanks for the info gromitvt10 - that looks a bit like what happened to me.

I've sent the flight logs to Jim at uThere and have spent a lot of time looking at them myself and neither of us can find anything wrong on the Ruby side. It really just looks like the Ruby was receiving the FailSafe signal from the receiver for a few minutes, then when it went out of FailSafe there was no response to transmitter commands - it was like it had lost its binding.

Like I told Thomas in the previous post, I unfortunately needed to leave soon after this incident occurred and haven't had a chance to try his recommendations or a few things I want to try on my own. If I can't get it working on my own, I'll be back on here before again I give up on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Have you looked into maybe the Ruby failing or locking up? I had a Ruby in a Skywalker with a TLRS lockup on me and slow spiral to the ground. Luckily I was flying over a farm field. There was a software problem but it has since been updated. Below is the video from that flight. You can see the OSD info freeze but the motor keeps running even after impact.
https://youtu.be/MjhahrGTwyk
xtrmtrk is offline Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by gromitvt10
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
2,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
Thanks for the info gromitvt10 - that looks a bit like what happened to me.

I've sent the flight logs to Jim at uThere and have spent a lot of time looking at them myself and neither of us can find anything wrong on the Ruby side. It really just looks like the Ruby was receiving the FailSafe signal from the receiver for a few minutes, then when it went out of FailSafe there was no response to transmitter commands - it was like it had lost its binding.

Like I told Thomas in the previous post, I unfortunately needed to leave soon after this incident occurred and haven't had a chance to try his recommendations or a few things I want to try on my own. If I can't get it working on my own, I'll be back on here before again I give up on the radio.
Jim is great to work with and fixed my problem right away. Good luck.

Kyle
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,244 Posts
if you run a parallel BEC just to feed the RX with stable voltage,
the rx might be more happy and stable, but it will not reveal if you got huge voltage swing
on servo supply due to bec overload, or bec fail or bad designed bec or something like this,
all new models of RX got a series diode and internal capacitor, this way the RX 5V is held up while servoes short the voltage for a short time (YES for crying out lound) some servoes are designed with no dead time in their H bridge design so they short the supply for a very short periode of time, if your wires to BEC are long and thinn the voltage at the RX side and jump several volts, one way to help this is to add a large cap 2200 uF directly on RX power rails.
and also you could separate the servo rail +5V from RX 5V add diode and 100uF to the RX side..
now you can handle all sorts of bad servoes and weak bec :-)
thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer