Old Jun 30, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Middletown
Joined Feb 2014
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Any word on whether you can buy the Deltaray in the bare skin, with no electronics or motors.??

Gord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
My bud bought a fuse only for his 2nd DR because he already had several spare parts, but as he found out, the gear and battery cover were not included. He's currently trying to resolve an RPM mis-match on a couple EDF motors I gave him to use with props for #1. From swapping the bell housing/rotor he's pretty sure it is the magnets so he's hoping somebody installed some with the poles in the wrong orientation.

His #2 was the one that burnt out the RX with the Pro180s and after he got that repaired and added PPM converters it lost a prop and became a flyaway that he never located (OUCH!).

It's arguably cheaper to buy a new DR and sell the unused parts if you are willing to do so, especially if you can find a buyer for the RX. I think today is the last day with the RTF being on sale (My DX6i died and I bought his DX4e out of the 3rd DR package he received last week).
I bought nearly all the pieces for DR and it was quite inexpensive. With the bare fuse you do get the wing tips but you do not get the plastic wing fences which are not available separately but only in combination with the wing tips themselves. As mentioned the battery door is not included nor is the rubber nose cone, they seem to be quite inexpensive. The vertical fin isn't badly priced either.

Because I was ordering an RTF as well I had a 10 percent discount + free shipping so it was a very good deal I thought.
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Joined Feb 2014
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
With the bare fuse you do get the wing tips but you do not get the plastic wing fences which are not available separately but only in combination with the wing tips themselves.
LOL, forgot those ... he got HH to him a set. Have NO idea why they include the tips with the fuse but not the fences ... he was SO perplexed. If you need a new fuse with new tips, how could they think you wouldn't need the fences?

I also can't remember if they included the plastic mount points for all 3 gear locations ... seem to remember that was an issue but just not sure.
GottaZoom is offline Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Jul 01, 2015, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
106 Posts
Another outing during UK heatwave

The wind died down enough to take the DR out for a quick fly.

1st Flight - Hand launch DR , full throttle, beginner mode. Warmed up then in and out of inter and advanced modes. 8 min flight on stock battery. Belly landing.

2nd Flight - 5 mins of fun with the Champ. Wind picked up so the champs was being pushed all over the place, but it's good to sharpen up the reactions.

3rd Flight - Hand launch DR , full throttle, beginner mode. Loads of fun in the inter and advanced modes. 8 min flight on stock battery. DR was quite a lot more wobbly due to the combination of gusty wind and possibly thermals due to the unusually hot weather we've got in the UK. Better when WOT. Belly landing all's good.

I've been keeping a log of battery use vs end state. Seems that 8mins is quite comfortable for 1300 stock and 1300mah Nanotechs based on the above flight profile.

Noticed full throttle hand launch provide a cleaner more controllable start.

Having fun

AW
applewood is online now Find More Posts by applewood
Old Jul 01, 2015, 01:10 PM
Joined Feb 2014
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood View Post
I've been keeping a log of battery use vs end state. Seems that 8mins is quite comfortable for 1300 stock and 1300mah Nanotechs based on the above flight profile.
Yesterday with an 8 minute timer, as he was circling for his final approach my bud had to abort and dead stick down at 7'29" with his 1st DR EFlite 1300 (almost 1 year old). Walk of shame was into grass taller than he is.

Amazing physical difference between his 3rd DR EFlite (rock hard and sharp angles) and our old ones (not so much) bought the last half of last year. The 1500 nanos are holding shape much better, so far (I usually fly to 10 min with the 15s).

Neither of us fly to LVC .. my normal ending voltage is~ 3.75V and he is usually close to that.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
106 Posts
Quote:
Yesterday with an 8 minute timer, as he was circling for his final approach my bud had to abort and dead stick down at 7'29" with his 1st DR EFlite 1300 (almost 1 year old). Walk of shame was into grass taller than he is.

Amazing physical difference between his 3rd DR EFlite (rock hard and sharp angles) and our old ones (not so much) bought the last half of last year. The 1500 nanos are holding shape much better, so far (I usually fly to 10 min with the 15s).

Neither of us fly to LVC .. my normal ending voltage is~ 3.75V and he is usually close to that.
What do you guys use to measure end state voltage? My LHS recommended to monitor how many mah your putting back into the lipos on charge for an accurate view of how much you are taking from the lipo during flight. But this contradicts the recommendations for safe lipo use and storage using voltage.
applewood is online now Find More Posts by applewood
Old Jul 01, 2015, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2014
699 Posts
Quote:
What do you guys use to measure end state voltage? My LHS recommended to monitor how many mah your putting back into the lipos on charge for an accurate view of how much you are taking from the lipo during flight. But this contradicts the recommendations for safe lipo use and storage using voltage.
I use a balance charger that reads voltage even without having power connected. And I have a voltage checker alarm that reads total and each cell for confirmation. Both are always withing .01V of each other. I keep a generic table in my TX case that shows voltage vs percent used, but that is only for good, healthy cells.

My bud uses a battery checker that give him voltage and a percentage of charge used/left. My concern with his checker is that he doesn't know what the lower end point is based on but he says it is fairly consistent with his own monitoring of charging (he uses a well regarded charger with PC connection that does graphing).

When you check mah going back in, fly the cell within a day or run it to storage voltage. IMO you don't need to do it every time, just periodically to make sure static voltage is giving you a fair reading.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2014
270 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
I use a balance charger that reads voltage even without having power connected. And I have a voltage checker alarm that reads total and each cell for confirmation. Both are always withing .01V of each other. I keep a generic table in my TX case that shows voltage vs percent used, but that is only for good, healthy cells.

My bud uses a battery checker that give him voltage and a percentage of charge used/left. My concern with his checker is that he doesn't know what the lower end point is based on but he says it is fairly consistent with his own monitoring of charging (he uses a well regarded charger with PC connection that does graphing).

When you check mah going back in, fly the cell within a day or run it to storage voltage. IMO you don't need to do it every time, just periodically to make sure static voltage is giving you a fair reading.
+1 everything GZ says.

I also use the "capacity controller" lipo checker, probably the same one his friend uses. For about $10 it tells you individual cell voltage, total voltage, maximum variation and gives a (conservative) percentage of charge remaining. It's quick & handy to use at the field & at the "charging bench". I've compared it's percentage of charge to several lipo voltage tables I've found online, and always its on the conservative side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Battery-...item23495ba794

Also, if you have a DX8 or similar radio, the DR puts out a telemetry readout that will give you the battery voltage to one decimal place - enough for a launch-or-don't launch decision. It's a really handy bonus feature. When the resting voltage is 7.3 to 7.4, the DR stays on the ground (til the next battery goes in)
Old Jul 02, 2015, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by beecat
Getting Ahead of Himself
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Mar 2015
63 Posts
Also, if you have a DX8 or similar radio, the DR puts out a telemetry readout that will give you the battery voltage to one decimal place - enough for a launch-or-don't launch decision. It's a really handy bonus feature. When the resting voltage is 7.3 to 7.4, the DR stays on the ground (til the next battery goes in)[/QUOTE]

Wow, really?? I had no idea. My DR is a bit of a smoking pile now, but I wish I'd known this!
beecat is online now Find More Posts by beecat
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2014
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecat View Post
Also, if you have a DX8 or similar radio, the DR puts out a telemetry readout that will give you the battery voltage to one decimal place - enough for a launch-or-don't launch decision. It's a really handy bonus feature. When the resting voltage is 7.3 to 7.4, the DR stays on the ground (til the next battery goes in)

Wow, really?? I had no idea. My DR is a bit of a smoking pile now, but I wish I'd known this!
I would NEVER lie to you, Mr Cat!
The telemetry screens on the DX8 have the voltage as well as the frame loss & hold counts. No RPM or temperature, but I'm not complaining!
Fix it, Mr Cat - parts is cheap & there's a free shipping for >$25 promo at HH!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...pnid9pvxzn2jpr

I was going to maiden my new Visionaire this evening after mowing the club field, but it was too late for that. But not too late for the DR. Even though the DR does so well in the wind, with NO wind, increased control throws and a DX8, it's so much fun that I don't NEED any other plane!