SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2014, 03:58 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
Discussion
gws in the uk

I've built a number of GWS models over the last decade, some were totalled, some repairable , those that were repairable have been and flew again. problem is there are now appears to be no available spare parts, cowl, wings etc. available here. I can't even get in the Perkins website to find out if they are available, even the Steve Webb shop I have used, only have one kit available (AT6) and no spares.
the question is , are GWS now totally defunct in uk and must I now use old skills (not a bad thing)and build the parts needed, i.e. a Beaver cowl, cowl for an AT6 wing for a wing for a beaver, the list goes on ....... my wife says I should just junk them but they were such good flyers I am reluctant to do so. So are spares available , or do they go back into the loft for another 10 years? still plenty of GWS props though and the odd RX on ebay..... shame really!
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,308 Posts
That is a bummer bud. GWS USA ensures us that there are containers being shipped to the US. I would assume there are containers going to the UK as well.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:13 AM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
125 Posts
Gordynic you read my mind,i haven't posted on here for a few of years,life sort of got in the way of my flying,but the itch never goes away does it.I started looking for something simple to get me back into it,a GWS Corsair me thinks,can i find one,its not i cant find one it appears GWS have sunk without a trace in the UK.Its such a shame because they were so good,so cheap and so much fun.Shipping costs from the USA have gone mad so thats out of the question too.My C47 will fly again but i'm going to have to scratch my own cowls
Sean.......................
6months is offline Find More Posts by 6months
Last edited by 6months; Jan 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:05 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Freinds from UK,

Would you contact service@gws.com.tw of GWS HQ in Taiwan for buying the spare parts or even the airplane kits if you could not find out any help from your LHS or even J Perkins. Caliber Hobby in USA can also be a good source for the parts and kits you need.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Feb 01, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 01:53 AM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
125 Posts
Hi Chen,the cost of shipping really makes buying from overseas non viable Do you know why GWS has no market presence in the UK anymore,only a few years ago there was a really strong following.
Regards Sean............
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:50 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Sean,

Lacking of supply and advertisements in UK might be part of the reason why. I did discuss with J Perkins for importing more GWS kits months ago, but they did not give me a definite answer. So the supply of GWS kits might have been short in UK since last year.

Shipping a kit by air courier might be expensive, but applying postal Surface Mail for the same effect can be cheap if you do not mind waiting for 7 or even 8 weeks. But for small pieces of spare parts shipping by small air parcel would still be ok.

Regards,
Chen
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:57 AM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
125 Posts
Hi Chen,i will e-mail Perkins and ask them when they will restock GWS,if enough people get on to them then maybe they will restock.Perhaps GWS should have an advertising campaign in the UK
Regards Sean.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:05 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
Hi Mr Chen,
I am the person who seems to have started this thread, although I know there are many people over here who would like to see GWS models available here again. maybe if you posted here with an approximate surface shipping price , say for a BN Islander showing the approximate cost of the item and the delivery charges maybe we could all have an idea if it is viable to order directl from yourself. other matters arise also, could the items be paid for with a secure payment system, paypal, for instance?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:36 PM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
125 Posts
I'm sure Gordynics suggestions would do wonders for sales in countrys with no dealers,would it be that difficult to implement?
Sean............
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:38 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Gordynics & Sean,

My colleagues just worked out the estimation of the postage needed for shipping a kit from Taiwan to UK, ie. A F-4U by postal Air Parcel is USD50 while by Surface Mail is USD25.
Shipping by surface mail is much cheaper, but you have to wait longer though. It takes normally 7 - 8 weeks for the voyage. While air parcel takes about 10 days. The retail price MSRP quoted on BN2 SG white is USD45. Its powered version (with two brushed EDP300H's) white is USD58.00

Regards,

Chen
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:59 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
thank you mr chen, for your very speedy answer. gents, I've just done a quick currency calculation today the US$ = 0.604£ therefore the postage is about £15, last time I bought from supplier in the UK the P&P was about £8 obviously it was a fairly fast delivery..... this is a good price for transporting from Taiwan even if it may take a few weeks to arrive, and the price of the Islander was about £35 so this may be , as I suspected a very viable option
I think that new formosa will be on its way here soon !

thanks again Mr Chen

regards

Gordon
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:03 AM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
125 Posts
Yes thank you Chen,very good of you to take the time to help
Old Feb 01, 2014, 12:54 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Sean & Gordon,

It's my pleasure !
I'm afraid that all of the Formosa kits have been sold out since months ago, and the new batch might take long, Gordon just mentioned Formosa. By the way we are having our Lunar New Year Holiday in Taiwan. We'll resume on Feb. 5th, so your mails will not be replied until next Wednesday or even Thursday.

Chen
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:55 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
guys,
got this email from Mr. Chen with regards to my purchase of a BN Islander

Thank you for you quick response.

But VERY SORRY to let you know that we’ve just been told by our local post office that “Surface Mail” could not be applied when shipping goods from Taiwan to UK. They told us that this way will mostly be rejected by your local post office. But we did apply this way sometimes for shipping kits to Australia for no problem.

My colleague just worked out the postage needed for applying “Air Parcel “ instead. It’s USD63.00

Would you let me know if you agree with this alternative.

Your reply will be highly appreciated

it looks like sending these kits is not viable as the cost of the postage is higher than the cost of the plane
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stockport
Joined Sep 2007
31 Posts
as you say gordynic, shipping to the UK from Taiwan is not really an option. I have read on other threads that although gws may not be currently manufacturing any kits, they have an awful lot sat in warehouses. if that's true they need to get a couple of containers shipped to the UK. I'm sure they would be snapped up as soon as they hit the shelves.
jem6669 is offline Find More Posts by jem6669