Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:45 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
704 Posts
Mini-Review
RC Logger RC EYE One Xtreme - Review and Owners' Experience Thread

Background Story

RCLogger has been working on developing a brushless mini quad-copter since early 2013. Hobbyist were asked to provide their input, thoughts and suggestions about what they would want in this forthcoming quad. Many hobbyist participated in the discussion and pre-orderd the RC EYE One Xtreme. The developers were collaborative and actively participated in these discussions and provided periodic updates to the RC community.

Inside the box
  • RC EYE One Xtreme
  • 2.4 GHz Transmitter, AAA Battery for Transmitter
  • 800 mAh LiPo Battery, USB LiPo Battery Charger
  • Set of propellers, Spinner, Spinner Washer
  • Trigger Cable, PPM Cable (for optional PPM receiver)
  • Operating instructions, Decals

First Impression

The product packaging is attractive and provides protection during shipping. Once you open the box - well built, professional grade, cool are the words that come to mind! The propellers are red & black in color, 138mm in length, but the airfoil is very unique (some may say, that it looks warped). The landing gear is a mix of black & red and are designed to help in flight orientation. The quad's brushless motors are about the size of a quarter.

Transmitter

The RTF package comes with a stock 2.4 ghz transmitter that is the size of a video-game remote controller (like an xbox controller). This runs on two AAA batteries that are provided in the package. The transmitter feels very light and fails to provide a decent grip. The control sticks are thick knobs which make precise flying/control a bit challenging.
UPDATE: After two months of owning the quad - I have grown accustomed to this transmitter.

LiPo & Charger

The quad came with a LiPo battery that has a very unique connector (or atleast, I have never seen one like this from any other vendor). This LiPo can be charged with a USB charger that needs to connected to a source that outputs 5V and atleast 2 Amps. Took me about 50 minutes to charge the battery after a 5 minute flight.The product manual suggests NOT to use your laptop/computer to charge, as such, I am using a wall USB charger that came with the iPad.

Flight Performance
  • Beginner Mode: Meant for flying indoor or in zero-wind conditions. I experienced stable flight and felt that the transmitter mellowed the control inputs. This mode would be ideal for the first-time quad flyer and also for experienced hobbyists who have never flown a brushless quad.
  • Sport Mode: This mode would be suitable for outdoor environment. The stock transmitter allows more control (in comparison to the beginner mode) and you can fly some sharp turns and figure 8s. The brushless motors have lot of power and the sport mode allows you to enjoy the raw power and maneuverability. In this mode, the quad can carry some payload (small camera) without being sluggish.
  • Advanced Mode: I have not tried this mode as I am not comfortable using the stock transmitter to fly in this mode. I plan to use Lemon RX PPM receiver, but I am concerned that the Xtreme may act out-of-control (more about this later).
    UPDATE: I flew the Xtreme in the Advanced Mode with the Stock Transmitter... My experience was that this mode makes the quadcopter very agile and fast machine.

Unboxing... literally !

Unboxing the RClogger RC Eye One Xtreme Quadcopter (1 min 56 sec)

First look after unboxing

RClogger RC Eye XTREME Quad Copter (2 min 55 sec)

Flight Footage

I will post soon (come back to check it out !)

On-board Video

Pros & Cons

+ Cool factor
+ Brushless motors - long life
+ LED navigation lights - orientation assistance
+ Price: Value for money
+ Payload capacity - 100 gms (possibly able to carry a GoPro or Mobius)
+ Possible candidate for a mini FPV platform
+ Altitude hold feature
+ Start-up safety feature - motor arming feature

- Battery connector - unique / proprietary
- LiPo charger - without a wall-charger
- Small transmitter
- Difficulty in getting spare parts...
UPDATE: Vendors now have spare parts for sale
- Bug in the firmware - PPM issue and possibly responsible for unpredictable movements UPDATE: This matter has been resolved by providing new chip to Xtreme owners

Price

There are 3 models that you can purchase, namely, ARF, RTF, and Anylink for $109, $129 and $149 respectively (plus shipping)

Where to Buy

I purchased the Ready To Fly (RTF) model from one of the authorized distributors, RC-Drones for $130 shipped. I must mention, that RC-Drones answered my inquiry promptly and provided fast shipping (they are US based vendor). One can purchase the Xtreme directly from the manufacturer's website (RTF, ARF, OneLink Combo), or from this list of distributors.

Word of Caution

These quad were shipped around Christmas 2013, but after a few days of the quads being in customer's hand, the manufacturer shared their experience about the quad flipping while using the PPM option with certain 7 channel transmitters (per my understanding from the forum discussions). The RCLogger team took note of the problems, and stated that they found a bug in the code and have attempted to solve this problem by updating the quad's firmware. The RClogger team have been responsive to customers' concerns and suggestions. It was recently mentioned on the discussion thread, that RCLogger would replace all units from the initial production (like mine).

UPDATE: Issues Have Been Resolved

RCLogger has mailed all owners of the Original Xtreme with a new FC/Chip along with two sets of propellers.
They have created an instructional YouTube video to help Xtreme owners swap the FC/Chip
They are providing this replacement service for zero cost along with free shipping (both ways).

TIPS, TRICKS & RELATED COOL THINGS

The above are simply my opinions, about my product, that I purchased with my own money.
I have no intention to promote or demote this product, its manufacturer, distributors, or any related parties.
I will update this post with more videos and pictures

Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts, opinions, reviews about this quad here
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Last edited by IndiaHobby; Apr 05, 2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add: Tips, Tricks and Cool Things
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
Working to make things happen!
Joined Mar 2013
1,270 Posts
Subbed
HeliStorm (FPV America) is offline Find More Posts by HeliStorm (FPV America)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV America Petitioning the FAA
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:12 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
237 Posts
Nice write up. The extreme is the quad I have been dreaming about, small brushless rtf package... If they hadn't stick with the unuseable cheap tx that already came out with the eye one then I would get one, I mean come on now no serious rc pilot would consider flying with that thing. I really hope they reconsider changing the tx on some future batchs.
ogrope1 is online now Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:21 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,031 Posts
It is a nice product, but as every new product has to go through its pediatric illnesses. I will buy it in the future probably summer time when it is clean and able to fly outdoors (which I believe meant to with BL motors etc.) BTW good review.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jan 19, 2014, 02:52 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
great thanks for this
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 19, 2014, 03:06 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,076 Posts
You sent us(RC-Drones) a PM and informed us you did not care about the PPM issue and wanted your unit now instead of waiting for the FW update.

We marked all our frames/flight controllers per our agreement with Rc Logger so Rc-Logger has a way to identify they do not have the FW update.

You were lucky to get one as your was the very last unit we were allowed to ship
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2014, 04:25 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,795 Posts
It was my fortune to also get one of these as I didn't care about the PPM either. Well after reading, it seems that might be useful especially since it will work with a lemon RX and my Spektrum. However, whether I get the upgrade or have to buy it, I am still quite pleased with what I got for the price. Nothing in this life is going to be perfect and if it is, it will still breakdown at some point in time.

Just another opinion. Happy, happy, happy.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jan 19, 2014, 04:48 PM
WWW.RCLOGGER.COM
Joined Mar 2012
549 Posts
@IndiaHobby, thanks for providing your detailed review. it may be important to also note pricing to your readers in the future.

For sub $130.00 RTF package there are a ton of features - Altitude hold, Capability to carry GO PRO, etc...

@ogrope1 the Tx is actually kind of nice once you get some time on it. It's important to keep in mind this product was also designed for the non-hobbyist. Additional thought went into the hobbyist though, thus offering a package for OneLink, and PPM Rx installation allowing users to fly with their own Tx.
Adam.RCLogger is online now Find More Posts by Adam.RCLogger
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2014, 05:11 PM
Reinventing Innovation.
Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2009
1,480 Posts
subscribed
MatLi is offline Find More Posts by MatLi
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2014, 05:19 PM
Tuk
Joined Oct 2012
135 Posts
Add
Tuk is offline Find More Posts by Tuk
Old Jan 19, 2014, 05:20 PM
Reinventing Innovation.
Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2009
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
Word of Caution

These quad were shipped around Christmas 2013, but after a few days of the quads being in customer's hand, some hobbyist shared their experience about the quad flipping while using the PPM option with certain 7 channel transmitters and ....
This issue was identified by RC Logger themselves. It has not been encountered to our knowledge by any user. I believe we responded very professional by informing customer that we shall release a new firmware and provide a free upgrade. I would appreciate to keep the facts as they happened. This will only be noticeable with a very specific PPM setup using a 7-CH transmitter with a very specific switch assignment.

As for the pros, maybe you should consider adding:

- PPM capable (wide choice of user selected TXs)
- OneLink compatible (either use stock TX, OneLink or PPM)

I believe these two options alone place us ahead of what is currently out there. Just my additional comments.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Appreciated.
MatLi is offline Find More Posts by MatLi
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:12 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLi View Post
As for the pros, maybe you should consider adding:

- PPM capable (wide choice of user selected TXs)
- OneLink compatible (either use stock TX, OneLink or PPM)

I believe these two options alone place us ahead of what is currently out there. Just my additional comments.
Agreed. PPM option is absolute plus for the consumer. Very unique for this price-point.
KC_703 is offline Find More Posts by KC_703
Old Jan 19, 2014, 07:39 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,421 Posts
Quote "some hobbyist shared their experience about the quad flipping while using the PPM option with certain 7 channel transmitters and a few reported a sudden left-ward uncontrollable movement while using the stock transmitter under the beginner mode "
As MatLi said, the flipping problem has not been reported by anyone other than the RCLogger team, they discovered it and are working to fix it at thier own expense. The uncontrollable movement has been reported by 3 or 4 owners and the RCLogger team has been trying to find out about it, but it also only happens in beginner mode, not in sport or expert mode. Also, there are very few people who actually have one of these yet, and so far they have chosen not to worry about the unwanted flips that do not happen with the stock controller.
Good review Indiahobby.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2013
15 Posts
That's correct Sirius. I've been flying with the stock controller for around 2 weeks and it's working great. I haven't seen any uncontrolled movement yet.

Thanks for the review Indiahobby!
borkyborkbork is offline Find More Posts by borkyborkbork
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:46 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
Got a chance to fly mine indoors at a college venue today. It performs with the stock controller fine. I have found it is important to read the directions to set it up and operate it. Looking forward to next weekend indoors. Hopefully I will have more batteries. It does take a long time to charge with the USB charger, so with the new lipo's, connector adapter, and my charger it will be non stop fun shortly. Great bargain for what they are selling for.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg