HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:05 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,162 Posts
I got the bottom center wing sheeting glued on.

Alan
jh2rc97 is online now Find More Posts by jh2rc97
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 09:50 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,162 Posts
Per the instructions I am currently done with the center section, for now. One question I have, should C5 have an angle sanded into it? I placed M2 on the tip spar with the joiner and slide it into the center section and with M2 90 degrees to the tip spar the angle already sanded in M2 seems to be enough for the joint?

Alan
Old Aug 02, 2013, 01:18 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
Per the instructions I am currently done with the center section, for now. One question I have, should C5 have an angle sanded into it? I placed M2 on the tip spar with the joiner and slide it into the center section and with M2 90 degrees to the tip spar the angle already sanded in M2 seems to be enough for the joint?

Alan
Hi Alan
It should be correct, if you still have a question about it do a trial fit with the spar and a rib at both ends of the spar and bring it up to 10deg to check it and that should help the fear of things being amiss.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Aug 03, 2013, 01:35 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,162 Posts
Clarence,
My kit was missing the C5 ribs so I did not know if they needed to be sanded like the M2 ribs after I cut them out.

I have started the right wing tip. The instruction mention to remove a 1/16" off the top and bottom of two of the T1 ribs for the outer main wing panels. I assume the instructions mean the two M17 ribs which I also cut slots for the spar caps.

Alan
Old Aug 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Clarence,
My kit was missing the C5 ribs so I did not know if they needed to be sanded like the M2 ribs after I cut them out.

Alan
Right now I could not say except if it is on the main panel it should be vertical but the angle should be in the rib on the outer panel.

Clarence
Old Aug 07, 2013, 06:36 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
Right now I could not say except if it is on the main panel it should be vertical but the angle should be in the rib on the outer panel.

Clarence
Ok, that is what it looked like sliding the outer spar and joiner in place with the 1/4" balsa rib that is the first on the outer panel.

Thanks,
Alan
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:17 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,162 Posts
I have done a terrible job of documenting this build. In the last few months my time for hobbies has gone to very little. Even though I was not posting the progress I was still building and last Thursday evening right before the sun set I was able to get a few launches of the winch to get the CG set and a little bit of flight time. Friday I flew the Oculus in TNT here in Texas. Ended up 3rd out of 25. It flys great even with a little damage. On the 2nd round in an effort to prevent landing out I stalled trying to turn back upwind to land and smacked the right tip into the ground and the nose. Nose is fine but the right wing panel has some damage and possible the center panel may have a rib or two at the TE that needs some CA. I will end up pulling the covering off the right and center panels to inspect and fix.

Alan
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
I have done a terrible job of documenting this build. In the last few months my time for hobbies has gone to very little. Even though I was not posting the progress I was still building and last Thursday evening right before the sun set I was able to get a few launches of the winch to get the CG set and a little bit of flight time. Friday I flew the Oculus in TNT here in Texas. Ended up 3rd out of 25. It flys great even with a little damage.
Alan
All that really matters is that you got done building in time for a event, and a big congratulations is in order for a 3rd place out of 25.

With just a few trim flights and on to competition says many things about the builder/pilot and the Oculus.

You have many great flights yet to come from that plane.

Clarence
Old Nov 11, 2013, 01:28 PM
andrew wallace
coleraine ,northern ireland
Joined Mar 2007
56 Posts
Hey Alan well done on the 3rd place good to see another green Oculus
the first two pictures are of my 28# model and the third is my E-Oculus 60# which i flew for the first time yesterday
andrew wallace is offline Find More Posts by andrew wallace