HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
If you haven't filled up the memory and pegged the processors, you can go faster!

I'm trying some C dev environments, Eclipse which I already know, and U++ with Mingw. It's been a while since I did this stuff, it's a little foreign at the moment. I did get my hello world program to work so that's good for an hour's work on a Windows system.
I'd probably just use vim and g++, but then I've never really used anything fancier than that for programming.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I'd probably just use vim and g++, but then I've never really used anything fancier than that for programming.
OMG, I LOVE IDEs! Ever since I got my first copy of CodeWarrior way back in the 90s, I haven't gone back to the simple editors and command-line compilers. I know that means I'm not "hard core" enough to like, contribute to a Linux distro or something like that, but I'm hard core enough to get the job done, and I'm probably doing it faster with the IDE. I do like to keep it simple though - an IDE like Eclipse needs to be pared down before it's useful. Visual Studio is the same way - it's bloated, and most of the bloat is crap you'll never use, but it's simple to just turn that stuff off or set it out of the way.

I don't think I'd be able to scan code as fast as I do without syntax coloring and some other code navigation tools, and that really helps in my job because I'm typically maintaining apps written by others, and I need to be able to dig into something quickly and zero in on the problem. When I can put a break-point in the debugger and then follow all the object references with a simple right-click, that really saves time. That's probably actually the only "active" feature I use a lot - "find definition" where you click a variable or a type name, and it can take you to the file and line where that object or member is defined. VERY useful in large applications! However, probably not as useful for small applications done by one programmer.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:33 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
OMG, I LOVE IDEs! Ever since I got my first copy of CodeWarrior way back in the 90s, I haven't gone back to the simple editors and command-line compilers. I know that means I'm not "hard core" enough to like, contribute to a Linux distro or something like that, but I'm hard core enough to get the job done, and I'm probably doing it faster with the IDE. I do like to keep it simple though - an IDE like Eclipse needs to be pared down before it's useful. Visual Studio is the same way - it's bloated, and most of the bloat is crap you'll never use, but it's simple to just turn that stuff off or set it out of the way.

I don't think I'd be able to scan code as fast as I do without syntax coloring and some other code navigation tools, and that really helps in my job because I'm typically maintaining apps written by others, and I need to be able to dig into something quickly and zero in on the problem. When I can put a break-point in the debugger and then follow all the object references with a simple right-click, that really saves time. That's probably actually the only "active" feature I use a lot - "find definition" where you click a variable or a type name, and it can take you to the file and line where that object or member is defined. VERY useful in large applications! However, probably not as useful for small applications done by one programmer.
That does sound useful. Vim has syntax coloring (like any good text editor) but for tracing down definitions and the like I usually find myself using find and grep commands more than anything else. Anyway, back on topic.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
I use codeblocks it is really really easy to use and quite usefull with code coloring etc etc and all that features visual studio has and more more..!!

Moreover it is absolutely free and open source. I wrote my code on codeblocks and it would be extremely easy for example to send some the cbj file (codeblocks project) and take a look at everything from your project files your code etc etc..!!

You can give this a try..! They also have a very supportive forum..!
Ghost_ is offline Find More Posts by Ghost_
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
I'll give that a try, it's one of the ones I haven't tried but it was in the list. Currently, I'm liking CodeLite because it's very simple.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Quote:
I haven't looked at your code in much detail yet, apparently my version of Visual Studio is too new to understand those files so i have to go get gnu or something. I need to set up a new environment anyway though, to see what I can do with ARM assembly on the kk multi controller. I know how to do threading in c# but its been a while since I did any low level stuff.
This is a cool thread at heart, but jasmine, I saw your interest in the kk multi and it rang a bell.

I took a program written for an IMU, combined it with a program written to control a multicopter on a different IMU. The damned thing almost worked, but I know ziltch about interrupts and vectors and memory and all that. It arms the motors, reacts to changes in attitude, but it sputters and spits too much. I used analog output pins without knowing how to control timing and keep the PWM flowing smoothly. It's a shame, a programmer would laugh at what stopped me in my tracks.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
This is a cool thread at heart, but jasmine, I saw your interest in the kk multi and it rang a bell.

I took a program written for an IMU, combined it with a program written to control a multicopter on a different IMU. The damned thing almost worked, but I know ziltch about interrupts and vectors and memory and all that. It arms the motors, reacts to changes in attitude, but it sputters and spits too much. I used analog output pins without knowing how to control timing and keep the PWM flowing smoothly. It's a shame, a programmer would laugh at what stopped me in my tracks.
Copypasta never tastes really good

There's many types of programming and I'm really experienced at the C-style languages - Java, C#, C/C++, JavaScript, etc... but I'm also really good with architecture of large systems, database design, and a couple other specialties. I have zero experience with ARM assembly programming, so it will take a while to get up to speed, and I don't expect to be good at it unless I work on it daily for a couple years.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Copypasta, now that's funny and sadly accurate. Jasmine, I hope you start messing with Atmegas with an open source approach. I would really like to get a look at Rolf's code, it's solid as a rock but not open.

I dont want to detract from the real topic, so peace.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:18 AM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Ghost,

I too am doing my final year project on airfoil optimizations using Genetic Algorithms. I am using PARSEC parameterization scheme followed by implementation of multi objective Genetic Algorithm in MATLAB on PARSEC design parameters. I have plotted the airfoil but need some help in forming the fitness function with appropriate penalty and weight term.

Looking forward to your reply,

Akshay
Broadsword is offline Find More Posts by Broadsword