HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
Discussion
High Performance Zephyr V70

I know, I know, High Performance and Zephyr in the same sentence?!

Well, The similarities of the V70 and some modern F5D planes is just what I have been thinking about. For the longest time I wanted to build a High performance F5D type plane, as an EDF.

Well the Zephyr came out, and it didnt surprise me people were having flutter problems...

Sooo, I am thinking about buying one, putting a Wemo with a 5S set up and making her go fast!.... However the plane of course would not hold up, so my plan;

Cut our a tip to tip slot for a carbon tube spar. Then glass the entire airframe.

Opinions? Suggestions? Help?

All three are more than welcome!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
V70 airframe is too weak to even try to strengthen it. Find a low wing glass or composite hotliner airframe and mold an edf mount into it. Zephyr v70 is fun but the wing flutter is ridiculous.
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:07 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
I experience NO wing flutter at all with mine, with all the test flying we did, we found the flutter was induced at speed as C of G was moved rearwards....which should not have been a suprise, at 75mm C of G.......zero flutter. As for the airframe being "weak"....for a foamy, it is far from weak and as for "high performance"....well putting aside the fact that the reference is as much contributed to it's exceptional aerobatic capabilty for a GLIDER, I think 80mph for an out-of-the-box foamy is far from shabby, speed is relative, one mans fast is another mans slow.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:20 AM
ILLSMOQ
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
I experience NO wing flutter at all with mine, with all the test flying we did, we found the flutter was induced at speed as C of G was moved rearwards....which should not have been a suprise, at 75mm C of G.......zero flutter. As for the airframe being "weak"....for a foamy, it is far from weak and as for "high performance"....well putting aside the fact that the reference is as much contributed to it's exceptional aerobatic capabilty for a GLIDER, I think 80mph for an out-of-the-box foamy is far from shabby, speed is relative, one mans fast is another mans slow.
Agreed on your 'one mans fast is another mans slow'.....

In my opinion, in comparison to a another similar durafly airplane the dynamic s (one of my favorite planes) the zephyr is weak. I experienced zero issues with the plane put of the box at stock power levels. I then upgraded the ESC and went to a 2650 4 cell (which fit perfect) and was having a lot more fun until the plane started convulsing at high speed. On a level pass at full throttle on four cells, consistently, it would shake violently as it reached top speed. I think the problem stems from the thin plastic rods in the wings tips. If only the wings were as rigid as the dynamic s I think the zephyr could be capable of much more. I'm not knocking the zephyr, I like the plane, I just don't feels it offers much as a platform for upgrades.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
You see I found the opposite, in back to back tests the Zephyr was superior to the Dynamic-S in terms of off-power glide and aerobatic performance, only speed was better on the Dynamic-S (straight-line WOT and climb rate) now even putting aside that the Zephyr was never simply about speed, we found that once set up right and both put into a full power dive side by side, there was nothing to choose between them.....believe me, flutter is aerodynamic, it's has nothing really to do with CF rods, etc, set the plane up right.....(ie: not with the nose stuck in the air) which is vital to get the best from it and you will see no flutter.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I decided not to go with glassing a zephyr. It would be easier and better to just make a plug and mold anyhow.
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
You see I found the opposite, in back to back tests the Zephyr was superior to the Dynamic-S in terms of off-power glide and aerobatic performance, only speed was better on the Dynamic-S (straight-line WOT and climb rate) now even putting aside that the Zephyr was never simply about speed, we found that once set up right and both put into a full power dive side by side, there was nothing to choose between them.....believe me, flutter is aerodynamic, it's has nothing really to do with CF rods, etc, set the plane up right.....(ie: not with the nose stuck in the air) which is vital to get the best from it and you will see no flutter.
So what is the proper set up? In a full power dive on 3S, I sometimes experience wing flutter. My cg is at exactly 78, fly's great! Just wing flutter.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Full Power dive? Not something I do with any model I own I must admit, but if you insist, you need to move C of G slightly forward....but you may hurt the aerobatic performance slightly that you are used to obviously, not seriously but a little more energy managment may be required.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
we found that once set up right and both put into a full power dive
In the previous post you stated that you never put your models in a full power dive...In the quoted post you state that you have put your model(s) (this one in particular) in a full power dive---

So which is it???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
441 Posts
is it too fast to be fpv-ed? or put another word, you can't really slow it down and make it effective glider.
I like the fan, as a simple reason
modelerchina is online now Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:32 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
we found that once set up right and both put into a full power dive side by side,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
In the previous post you stated that you never put your models in a full power dive...In the quoted post you state that you have put your model(s) (this one in particular) in a full power dive---

So which is it???

Kevin
That's what I thought.

????????
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
ILLSMOQ
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelerchina View Post
is it too fast to be fpv-ed? or put another word, you can't really slow it down and make it effective glider.
I like the fan, as a simple reason
I added spoilerons and they slow it up a bit but if you slow it up too much it will stall and fall out of the sky like any other hotliner. Not much room in the compartment for fpv gear either, you will have to get creative.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:58 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

So which is it???

Kevin
During testing....yes, of course, flying for personal pleasure...no.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
During testing....yes, of course, flying for personal pleasure...no.
Ok, during testing on my zephyr, in a full power dive on 3s, I get wing flutter at a cg set at 78. If I set the cg to 75, will my flutter go away? Honestly, I want to know. I don't fly it as much as I would like to because I'm scared of the flutter. Had it so bad one time (in a straight and level high speed pass) that I thought it was going to come apart in flight. I have glued together both wing halves, and fiber glassed the center section with 3/4 oz glass cloth. It will still flutter every now and then. I have step by step pictures of my wing modification if you would like to see. This thing would be a BLAST on 4S, but I can't even get beyond the 3S setup.

Thanks,
Steve
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:59 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Move the C of G forward and you should see results.