SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Discussion
Giant scale electric warbirds for the peer pressure afflicted

I'm a relatively new flier, having caught the bug quite badly in the last year, I fly parkzone warbirds and the like. Getting more nimble with my micro Beast and such. I'm competent but not hugely skilled and a pretty conservative cruiser of a pilot thus far. I've built a kit or two, and have some small laser cut kits still to build.

One of my better friends, a flying buddy who has been flying since he was 11, keeps egging me on to go to giant scale. His planes are all either Horizon micros or giant scale IC planes, many of which are gorgeous. Can't wait to see him put his new P-6 Hawk up at Delaware, it flew so smooth at our club field.

So I'm interested in at least looking into giant scale, even if down the road or a good wintertime project. So I figured I'd ask around a bit here for tips or recommendations for which planes to go after..

I'm purely electric.
My buddy's love of biplanes has caught on with me, so a bipe is a nice choice. The fact that bipes hit giant scale smaller than monoplanes is also a nice factor. Makes them easier to transport and get in and out of the basement.
Prefer warbirds, so I can accompany my buddy to not just giant scale events but also warbird events.
ARF preferred, based on my skills and available time.
Simple aerobatics at most, a loop, a roll. I don't do 3D.
Cost is a factor.

Best option I've seen thus far is an ARF Tiger Moth from Nitroplanes as a Glow to Gas conversion. But I'm sure the assembled knowledge base knows of other options?

Any thoughts?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,495 Posts
I've always been quite fond of the Great Planes PT-17 Stearman ARF. With a span of 71 inches it qualifies as giant scale and by all reports it is a well made and great flying model.

I believe the Hangar 9 Fokker D.VII and Sopwith Camel also meet your criteria.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Last edited by Chad Veich; Jul 12, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Those are exactly the sort of planes I was thinking of. I like the Hangar 9 planes a little better, as they're a little smaller and a little cheaper, the sort of plane I might get in the air for $600 instead of well over $1000. But Hangar 9 quality compared to Nitroplanes is no contest.

Think I like the Sopwith Camel the best, I blame Snoopy.

Problem is both of the Hangar 9 planes appear to be discontinued. Pity, that looks like a really nice sweet spot of size, cost, quality, the works.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,065 Posts
Balsa USA 1/4 Scale kit. Build it this way you have your own scheme..

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Problem is both of the Hangar 9 planes appear to be discontinued. Pity, that looks like a really nice sweet spot of size, cost, quality, the works.
Sorry BEF, not being a big fan of WW1 aircraft I was unaware they were out of production. Still, I'll bet they could be found second hand with a bit of searching. Heck, there are probably still hobby shops that have them in stock if you do a bit of leg work.

Good luck!

PS - It's a bit pricey but Hangar 9 also has a Tiger Moth available which is really nice.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Yeah I'm starting to look around and see if they can be located. My flying buddy won the Hangar 9 Tiger Moth 20cc through the raffle at warbirds over Delaware. Seeing all those pilots flying giant scale so smoothly I'm nowhere near ready to be trying to fly a pattern with them with a bird this size. I have a lot of work to do to get to where I feel like I could fly a plane like that safely.

I did pick up a parkzone albatross to add to my fleet as well as a small epp 3d profile ship.

But it's going to be look and research a while I think. I'm not ready to put a giant up.

edit:
and I saw the Balsa USA kits at Delaware, they're really nice but way beyond my skills and time availability. I guess they mainly reinforced the preference for ARFs.
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Jul 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
To revisit this thread that I started last July, I now have a problem.

No, more a sickness. I keep buying planes.

I sought all over the place to find Giant scale stuff and research all kinds of planes.
I find articles like this www.electricflyermagazine.com/page27.html

I scheme to check on the Spad and the Nieuport from Maxford at the WRAM show if they have good show specials and I can therefore avoid shipping.

I had club members who troll RCUniverse keep an eye out for things for me, I posted threads seeking the Fokker DVII and the Sopwith, and turned down one or two exorbitant prices I was offered. On rare occasions NIB Fokkers show up they sell for well over original retail. I nearly reached out on several Stearman PT-17s offered in the classifieds here.

Two weeks ago I walk into an indoor event with a swap component to it and see a Fokker DVII for sale for a very very reasonable price, represented as fully built but never flown. It went home with me.

Same party had a Sopwith Camel that had flown 3 or 4 times on electric they were bringing to another event the following week that I attended. Very cheap price. That one went home with me too, though I've heard the short nose on it causes issues in flying and nosing over when landing.

And my flying buddy is trading me the 20cc Tiger Moth for some other items and help with some things not RC related.

So now I'm an owner of 2-3 giant scale planes and have to figure out how to gear them out without going broke. Oh and become a better pilot so they don't become expensive kindling. Oh and 2 Hangar 9 50 size warbird ARFs also needed homes for cheap prices so they need gear too.

Do I thank my karma for dropping the planes I was questing for in my lap or curse Hangar 9 since I now have lots to buy?

My Parkzone Albatross and balsa 42" ultimate will be my primary practice planes to work up to the biplanes.

I think I'm in trouble.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I think I'm in trouble.
Only for not posting pictures
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:33 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Dear God, it looks like my LHS Is that a H9 Camel?

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:39 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,244 Posts
Suddenly, I don't feel quite so... "out of control" with my RC purchases!

Don't blame ya though! Hard to turn down a bargain.

Couple of suggestions:

- 3-blade Corsair prop for the Wildcat

- Find a Snoopy figure that fits for the Camel. It will add character, and drive the Scale Police nuts
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:43 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Yes it's a H9 Camel and an H9 Fokker VII, the camel came with servos in it the Fokker was airframe only. Had been questing for months for either one, including calling half the distributors for hangar 9 to see if one is on the shelf gathering dust in a dark corner. All the ARFs or builds I saw were listed well over original retail, and these were both less than retail and fully built.

Good bit of custom detail on both, including machine gun and pilot figure with scarf and monocle.

So it was karma, someone must like me up there. Now I have to build them out right and fly them beautiful.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
You got some good planes there. Don't know why H9 stopped making the Camel, I have one and it is a BLAST to fly. You just have to get used to it.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:58 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Nice planes, but waaaay to little space. But you're in luck, I think I might be able to take some off your hands. I'll PM you my address
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:56 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
I've been there bud... with over 20 years in the hobby I know all about "the sickness"
This year I'm trying very hard to not buy anything and just fly what I have into the ground.... either wear them out or crash them.

I'm out of space and money
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101