HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined May 2008
19 Posts
Discussion
MCPX shakes.

Hi all. I've had a MCPX for a while now, after a crash I decided to buy another and use the old MCPX for parts. The new MCPX is version 2 which has grommets on the swash balls, updated blade grips, and other upgrades.

Unfortunately, I couldn't fly my new MCPX for months after purchase due to a malfunctioning DX6i radio. Just got my DX6i repaired, the first flight of my MCPX and it has bad shakes. I noticed the shakes are noticable with different head speeds. 100% throttle with full battery and the shakes aren't noticable. I adjust my throttle to 80% it has terrible shakes. I like using lower head speeds when I'm not stunting, as it saves battery life, and I get longer flight times.
When the battery starts getting weak, at 100% throttle the head speed is lower and things start to shake again.

My old MCPX model never had these problems, it was great, I never needed to add grommets or anything it flew so well. This new MCPX is so dissapointing, and I'm not sure what I can do to improve it, as it already has the upgrades people once suggested for removing shakes.
I can't return it to the hobby store as its long past the return period. Shipping it to Horizon is really expensive even if the replacement is free under warranty (just went throught this with my DX6i).

Any suggestions?
Hixbot is offline Find More Posts by Hixbot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:53 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Check your blade balance to make sure you don't have a vibration in the heli at 100% throttle zero pitch. Also, the way I eliminated the shakes (no matter high high the headspeed) was shorten the feathering shaft a bit on both ends. The dampeners are not adequate enough to keep the grips from see-sawing. I either had to shorten the FS or upgrade to the MH metal blade grips using the hard dampening spacers. Once I did that, the heli never had the shakes again (no grommet mod needed). This includes the stock one, C05 and HP05 versions I have. It also includes the one Manny flew in his living room 3D video. Hope this helps.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined May 2008
19 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do. How much did you cut off each end of the feathering shaft?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
I would be hesitant to cut the feathering shaft.... I'm sure that will work tho jus not something I'd do. I put some canopy grommets on the feathering shaft on each side of the head to tighten mine and that got rid of my shakes. You could probably use some small o rings or shims also.
BeefKopter is offline Find More Posts by BeefKopter
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
My mCPX gets the shakes periodically, and what I found to be the reason is dirty servos.
These linear servos have a tiny metal strip that feels the position of the slider and reacts in consequence.
It is very easy for them to accumulate dirt between the strip and the slider and cause all sorts of issues.

To clean them remove the canopy, unscrew the servos, and CAREFULLY unscrew the white part with the motor. You'll expose the strip, now with some alcohol gently rub the metal connection and the tiny wipers, you'll be surprised how much dirt accumulates there..

This is something I do monthly and never had a problem since I started!

Gio
---
my RC blog
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined May 2008
19 Posts
Ok thanks, but the MCPX is brand new. Why would the servos be dirty? The servos don't shake up and down, which is something I used to see with my old MCPX.
It appears to be something with the rotor/blade balance. It so strange that some head speeds appear to be stable while other head speeds result in crazy shaking.