HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Help!
Simprop turn left wing

Hi does anyone no if the simprop turn left wing have a reinforce spar. Im going to
Run a mega 16 25 2 on 5s. At the moment I can back and yak it full power with the same mega on 3s with no probs. I no I will have to fly wider with 5s.
savneo is offline Find More Posts by savneo
Last edited by savneo; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
why 5s ? how do you get it inside ? I barely get my small 3s 2200mah inside...

even if you did, that wing will break, to much power and speed, I can allready tell you my wing flexes on 3s.. you have to reinforce the wing..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
The battery's are - 3s goes in first all the way in almost up to the motor then the 2s. They are joint together with tape allowing them to hinge in the midle. I can get them in without taking the wing off. I'm using 1800 65c nano

How do I best reinforce the wing. I too see my wing bend with 3s when I turn hard.
Last edited by savneo; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:11 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
Well, its not easy, you must put a carbon spare at least 70-80 cm long inside wing, epoxi it in, then put glasfiber tape under the wing....
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:53 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Thanks for that, do you no if it already has a spar in it, I would not want to cut into it. I can not find any info on the wing. I even emailed simprop,got no reply.
If I could get the wing to hold, I could even get 6s to fit.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:50 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
I think 5s would be insane, dont go 6s , it will not hold up...

There may be a wood spar in it, maybee my friend has his wing left, it is crasched, then we can look inside, I will ask him today..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
My first one had a wood spar.........it snapped in the mid line, I was able to repair and get many more flights. The beauty, for me, about the Turn Left, is a nice little electric pylon kept light for fun flying..........definitely has lilmitations for high speed. I have one I like for care free flying now.
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,571 Posts
Yeah I thought the Turn Left wing had a spar too, but the Lift Off XXS doesn't. I've read somewhere it's the same wing except for the way the TL wing is shaped in the middle with the cut out. If you're putting a spar in I'd go with box section rather than rod as they're much stronger.

Can anyone tell me their CoG? Mine seems a long way back and although it flies (and glides) well enough it just bugs me how far back it is.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Yeah I thought the Turn Left wing had a spar too, but the Lift Off XXS doesn't. I've read somewhere it's the same wing except for the way the TL wing is shaped in the middle with the cut out. If you're putting a spar in I'd go with box section rather than rod as they're much stronger.

Can anyone tell me their CoG? Mine seems a long way back and although it flies (and glides) well enough it just bugs me how far back it is.
The manuel quotes between 48-52mm from the leading edge.
Mine is 51 and It fly's great.
The spar is a little tricky because the wing has a bend in the middle and also another at the servo cut outs.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
yepp, my CG is in between what manual says, flyes fantastic..
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:22 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Regarding the spar I'm going to glue a .5x10x80mm carbon strip on the bottom of the wing. I do not want to cut into the wing to add a spar. The strip will add lots of tensile steinght.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:27 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
Regarding the spar I'm going to glue a .5x10x80mm carbon strip on the bottom of the wing. I do not want to cut into the wing to add a spar. The strip will add lots of tensile steinght.
That would be of limited benefit on its own as the top surface is still under compression and will still crease and fold. What you need is a more sold web, to keep the top and bottom surfaces separated but attached.
My understanding is that these pressed wings do not have any spar. I have an eDago which again uses the same wing format. I never broke the wing but I'm pretty certain there is nothing but polystyrene inside which is still compressable.

If you want to strengthen the wing then you are better off cutting a verticle slit and use 1/16" ply as the full depth spar and sub spar (no need for full span either). This is a fairly standard technique for foam and obeechi veneered wings.

Of course the other way would be to stiffen the wing surfaces using glass or carbon fibre cloth and laminating resins. Again, probably not necessary to do the whole wing.

Even stronger - do both.

Darron
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
The manuel quotes between 48-52mm from the leading edge.
Mine is 51 and It fly's great.
The spar is a little tricky because the wing has a bend in the middle and also another at the servo cut outs.
Well there must be something wrong somewhere then, I'm at 61-62mm?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
Quote:
you are right, I said where the manual says, I knew that sounded strange with only like 50mm..
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
How did you come to settle with 61-62? did you test fly with the Manuel setting and not like it?