SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:46 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
New Product
Nine Eagles Sky Surfer.

Have any of you tried one of this? Nine Eagles Sky Surfer. 4ch 2,4 GHZ?

Looks like fun, and the size is just right for a bicycle trip to a small field. Couldn't resist to order one today from a Norwegian shop.
Here are some more info: http://www.hitecrcd.co.jp/RC/nine_ea...rfer/index.htm

Use translator.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
altitude adjustment
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Mar 2005
495 Posts
Looks like a cool little plane. Please let us know how she flys. A little concerned about the range of the radio shown in the pic.

mark
thumbhead is offline Find More Posts by thumbhead
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
As long as I can see, was the answer I got, when I asked. This is not the same TX as they use for their small helicopters. I will have it tomorrow, but it will be windy and rain all the Weekend. So the maiden will be on Monday.
It's always nicer weather when the weekend is over here up North. We are also in the middle of the Summer Holiday. So there has been difficult weather for flying. Much better flying conditions when people are back to work, from their holiday.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:17 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
After using some time trimmimg and balancing. I found out it's a fun little flyer. I had to use full power during launch. You also need to give it a good push to get it in the air.
The model also glide well for a long time, when the engine is turned off.
After all much fun, for a low price. This will be my bring along model, and a step up from the Champ.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Hi Arne,

my Sky Surfer was delivered last Thursday – maiden flight on Saturday.
Despite the bad weather this weekend, I did 6 flights with the Sky Surfer and had some time to work on my new Reichard Magic.

I fully agree to your opinion - after some trimming and balancing the sky Surfer is a nice little glider especially under light wind conditions. Because of its size & price, you can fly everywhere without caring to much about obstacles and landing place.

For my taste, the achievable elevator deflection is too small because of relatively high hinge resistance and weak servo power. So I will try to reduce the hinge resistance by using hinge tape ...

CM
Chill Master is online now Find More Posts by Chill Master
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
I found out putting a little extra weight on the tail, makes it a much better flyer. I used some rounds of fiber glass tape around the tail. No i can fly it slower, and with better control. Good idea with hinge tape on the elevator.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:48 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Yes, some weight at the tail was definitely necessary !

With approx. 0,5g at the tail, the COG of my Sky Surfer was exactly at 25 mm as recommended in the manual. As weight I used a tapping screw drilled directly into the fuselage.

For the next flights I will test the flying characteristics with a COG of 25+2 mm - second screw at the tail ;-)

Now I'm looking forward to taking along my Sky Surfer for a short family-holiday at the lakes :-))
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Have you seen the Big Brother, the Sky Climber. Looks really cool, for a good price!

http://www.hurricanemodels.co.uk/eng...y+Climber+ARTF

I like to build, but sometimes it's nice just go flying.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
For the next flights I will test the flying characteristics with a COG of 25+2
Think that will be OK. Mine COG ended at 2,5 cm. And it's more relaxing to fly now. Have a nice weekend.Showing your mini glider for the family
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:19 AM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
A quick question about the Sky Surfer.

In the few videos I've seen it always seems to be flying very fast. How does it glide with power off?
Also, I have three 360mah 2s lipos which weigh 24g. How many grams is the stock lipo?

Would be perfect for me to fly in the field close to my house but not if it needs WOT all the time to fly.

Cheers.

Artisan.
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Last edited by artisan23; Sep 01, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:06 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan23 View Post
In the few videos I've seen it always seems to be flying very fast. How does it glide with power off?
Hi Artisan,

I haven't seen the mentioned videos yet (maybe you have some nice links for us?).
IMO the Sky Surfer glides quite slow and gentle and could even be suitable for an absolute beginner. But you can go faster, especially when you keep the motor running ...

Quote:
Also, I have three 360mah 2s lipos which weigh 24g. How many grams is the stock lipo?
The enclosed 1s 250mAh LiPo has 16g. I'm not sure if the enclosed Motor/ESC are designed for a 2s Lipo !?

Quote:
Would be perfect for me to fly in the field close to my house but not if it needs WOT all the time to fly.
IMO the Sky Surfer is perfect to use it "in the backyard" and wherever you wouldn't dare to use a faster, bigger or more expensive plane

When I fly the Sky Surfer, I use to climb with WOT up to approx. 80m (where it already looks kind of small and far away ) and then enjoy to glide back to my hand. Under thermal or light wind conditions, this gliding can last for some minutes - very relaxing

CM
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:40 AM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Master View Post
Hi Artisan,

I haven't seen the mentioned videos yet (maybe you have some nice links for us?).

Just Google Nine Eagles Sky Surfer

IMO the Sky Surfer glides quite slow and gentle and could even be suitable for an absolute beginner. But you can go faster, especially when you keep the motor running ...

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.

The enclosed 1s 250mAh LiPo has 16g. I'm not sure if the enclosed Motor/ESC are designed for a 2s Lipo !?

All the ad's for the model indicate a 2s 250mah lipo.......!!!???

IMO the Sky Surfer is perfect to use it "in the backyard" and wherever you wouldn't dare to use a faster, bigger or more expensive plane

That was my thinking.
When I fly the Sky Surfer, I use to climb with WOT up to approx. 80m (where it already looks kind of small and far away ) and then enjoy to glide back to my hand. Under thermal or light wind conditions, this gliding can last for some minutes - very relaxing

Again, just perfect for my needs.
CM
Thanks very much Chill Master.
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Today we tried the CG at 27 mm. I put some steel pellets in the tail. I like it better now. Flies with more authority and nicer gliding. You know that you can push the right stick down, and get more throw on the rudders? Not necessary to tape, or re hinge.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
I have three 360mah 2s lipos which weigh 24g. How many grams is the stock lipo?
They must be too big and heavy for that little plane. Flying this plane nose heavy, is no fun either. The stock battery is actually good, and give it a long flight time.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:45 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
All the ad's for the model indicate a 2s 250mah lipo.......!!!???
Sorry, my fault - indeed the enclosed LiPo is a 2s 250mAh, so your 2s 360mAh will fit in but lead to a nose heavy plane ...

Best Regards,
CM