HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:22 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Looking good mate! Have you tried using smaller batts? I ended using 1000mah 3s packs as I still got 8 min flights and it flys so much better without the weight.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
I didn't try smaller packs yet, because I don't have nothing smaller at home.

So 1000mah would be the best?
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
I didn't try smaller packs yet, because I don't have nothing smaller at home.

So 1000mah would be the best?
I think 1200 or 1300 would be the best but for me 1000mah fit better in the compartment due to shape.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
I don't really have any smaller batteries either. I did fly my Stealth Scarab (aka indoor Scarab) with a 3s 1600 25c pack and got over 9 minutes of flight with it. I'm loving the smaller Scarab - great for tight spaces or for traveling/back-packing.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello Guys,

Here is my first video from French Polynesia. I did not expected that the wind would constantly blow at 15 knots with increase to 20-25 knots from time to time. See at 2min30, look at the trees and the angle of the Scarab to prepare for landing, I did wait for the wind to decrease before taking the opportunity to land. Another interesting item is the radio cutoff over the see at around 1min35, all 4 motors cut and the scarab started to fall just before recovering... Big stress!

Motu Mirimiri - HD FPV - UAV - Amazing - beautiful - French Polynesia - Scarab (3 min 12 sec)

Enjoy,

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
niiice
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Awaiting software update..
United Kingdom, Yorkshire
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
I don't really have any smaller batteries either. I did fly my Stealth Scarab (aka indoor Scarab) with a 3s 1600 25c pack and got over 9 minutes of flight with it. I'm loving the smaller Scarab - great for tight spaces or for traveling/back-packing.

When do we see this in the shop? Can you say what the spec is compared to the other 3 quads on the Multiwiicopter site please?

Paul
Ironframe is offline Find More Posts by Ironframe
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Just the quad or a gopro as well?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post

When do we see this in the shop? Can you say what the spec is compared to the other 3 quads on the Multiwiicopter site please?

Paul
I can't say for sure, but hopefully soon. Maybe Quinton can say - since it's his product, I'm just a pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Just the quad or a gopro as well?
Nine minutes for the quad by itself on a 1600 mah 3s (very old battery). I flew the Stealth Scarab with a 2200mah 3s an GoPro (LOS, not FPV) and got 12 minute flights.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:59 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
652 Posts
We have finished finalising and testing the SCARAB v2 engine mount locks - these are a combination of the composite inserts used in the v1 and the v2 clamp screwed down over the top - this eliminates the need for a retaining screw completely and allows the engine angle to be set without altering the base clamps - we knew they would be stronger from the engineering side - but we are really shocked as to how well the composite Ali-CF or Ali-FR4 combo work and how good they look - will be standard items on all the v2 SCARAB kits coming - and can be retro fitted to the any v1 SCARAB.

The SCARAB stealth is going to be released soon after upgrading them with valuable feedback from our test pilots - exact details are still pending but they are targeting FPV and LOS Stealth film venues where sound and weight are an issue - so we are calling it the SCARAB STEALTH - will come in a budget FR4 and in full Carbon and can be fitted with a GoProHero v2 HD - Quinton
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:05 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
I can't say for sure, but hopefully soon. Maybe Quinton can say - since it's his product, I'm just a pilot.

Nine minutes for the quad by itself on a 1600 mah 3s (very old battery). I flew the Stealth Scarab with a 2200mah 3s an GoPro (LOS, not FPV) and got 12 minute flights.
that is amazing, what is the weight of that small one.... that is a long time...

carbonbird motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
We have finished finalising and testing the SCARAB v2 engine mount locks - these are a combination of the composite inserts used in the v1 and the v2 clamp screwed down over the top - this eliminates the need for a retaining screw completely and allows the engine angle to be set without altering the base clamps - we knew they would be stronger from the engineering side - but we are really shocked as to how well the composite Ali-CF or Ali-FR4 combo work and how good they look - will be standard items on all the v2 SCARAB kits coming - and can be retro fitted to the any v1 SCARAB.

The SCARAB stealth is going to be released soon after upgrading them with valuable feedback from our test pilots - exact details are still pending but they are targeting FPV and LOS Stealth film venues where sound and weight are an issue - so we are calling it the SCARAB STEALTH - will come in a budget FR4 and in full Carbon and can be fitted with a GoProHero v2 HD - Quinton
those look great!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Nice mounts Quinton ....
blindflight is online now Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's the video from last weekend's Bay Area Super Prestige Cyclocross Race #1 sponsored by GoPro and Pilarcitos Cyclosports. The race was at CandleStick Park in San Francisco, CA.

The 45-degree downward-looking shots were from the Scarab Stealth. Unfortunately I was in a rush to get it camera worthy and had used a bent prop adapter on one of the motors causing the camera vibrations (which I tried to hide using moon gel). Next time, the vibes/jello will be gone - since the Scarab Stealth is possibly the most quiet and smooth copter I own.

The more usualy camera angle was shot from my Scarab QuadOcta flying FPV.

Hope you enjoy the slightly longer than usual video (the racers and event people like to see it all).

BASP Race #1 - Candlestick Point - MWC Scarab Aerial Footage (6 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,076 Posts
brilliant!
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
Hello Guys,

Here is my first video from French Polynesia. I did not expected that the wind would constantly blow at 15 knots with increase to 20-25 knots from time to time. See at 2min30, look at the trees and the angle of the Scarab to prepare for landing, I did wait for the wind to decrease before taking the opportunity to land. Another interesting item is the radio cutoff over the see at around 1min35, all 4 motors cut and the scarab started to fall just before recovering... Big stress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpRnRFtUVs

Enjoy,

Gregory
Good save over the water, and what a beautiful place to FPV at! Glad you got back to the sore safely - yikes!