HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:19 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
Paint choice ?

what kind of paint are you guys using for painting ? i tried a couple of (rattle can) flourescent colors on an old ef-16 body..seems like they kinda wanted to melt the paint a little
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
United States, CO, Keystone
Joined Feb 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
what kind of paint are you guys using for painting ? i tried a couple of (rattle can) flourescent colors on an old ef-16 body..seems like they kinda wanted to melt the paint a little
I've been using Apple Barrel Acrylic craft paint from Walmart. If you have an airbrush or touch-up gun it works great thinned down or you can brush it on with very few brush marks if you thin it a bit. I have also used Krylon H2O in the spray can but it's getting hard to find. Any acrylic or water based paint will work without melting the foam, and they clean up and thin with water. The Tiger was done with the Apple Barrel paint.
smccrory60 is offline Find More Posts by smccrory60
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
appreciate that tip man ! actually thought about just a slow brush job. will check the Apple Barrel paint tomorrow !

nice job on the Tiger for sure !
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
The ground is my Enemy!!!
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
If you put a light coat of water base polyurethane first, you can use (rattle can paint)
Jose5x5 is offline Find More Posts by Jose5x5
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
It is the propellant in the rattle can (some... most?) that eats the foam. So you can use them if you keep it away enough.
But really, thinned acrylic by brush.... or 'more' thinned acrylic by airbrush.... is better. (I brush the same very thinned paint that I airbrush)
Jose's Polyurethane (acrylic) first layer is also another way to do it.

This $6 airbrush works fantastic..... so grab one (or two!) and just use thinned acrylics - can also spray the WBPU final coats too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Buy Sample Pot paints from a hardware.... generally about $7 for 250ml or more. Those can also be colour matched for no cost usually.
Thus a very low cost for great painting results... versus spray cans.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose5x5 View Post
If you put a light coat of water base polyurethane first, you can use (rattle can paint)
this is brush on ? don't want to add alot of weight
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
You can buy spray cans of WBPU...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:40 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Or water it down. It's already mostly water anyway!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
this is brush on ? don't want to add alot of weight
I used the brush on type. I didn't weigh it before and after but it didn't seem to change the weight very much. It is really watery as Odysis stated. Also I have seen the spray cans of WBPU that Peter is talking about at Lowes.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
This $6 airbrush works fantastic..... so grab one (or two!) and just use thinned acrylics - can also spray the WBPU final coats too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Peter,

This looks like a great low cost alternative to spray paint. I have never used an airbrush before, just a couple questions about this one from hobby king you linked.

1. Does it come with instructions?
2. Can you use a home garage compressor or do you have to buy a special compressor?
3. When you say really thin the paint for the airbrush do have a ratio and what do you use to thin it?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:26 PM
Five Guys Field Rep
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Feb 2013
552 Posts
Some progress shots. Anybody see anything out of the ordinary? This is my first EDF build (I guess "build" is appropriate).
Don Quixote is offline Find More Posts by Don Quixote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
looks good to me

i'm starting to build a new kit with a 4S setup finally. so any build pics help with ideas !
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
Jose... yes, you can use a home compressor. You just need the fitting adaptor to suit.
I stuff around with pressure... from 10psi to 30psi sort of range.

Thinning is by 'view', because different colours (even same brand acrylic) have different thickness. So you can't say '50%' etc. People say "milk consistency'... umm, something like that. Very runny.... not like water, but not a long way from that either.
If it is not thin enough it will clog easy (easier) because of its thickness and that it dries quicker than when thinner too.
Practice on some cardboard etc and as you use it more you will get very good at getting it thinned well enough quite quickly.
I use mainly Windex (window cleaning fluid), or sometimes plain tap water (and haven;t seen an issue with that even). Windex supposedly has useful chemicals in it to assist spray flow.... maybe it does.... all I see is it separate into a blue watery tinge in the paint, that you need to remix before using. LOL. But it seems good for thinning.

Depending on how you are spraying - the wider, heavier spray the less often it will clog and need cleaning as you go. So between the paint being a bit too thick, and just they way they will clog as paint dries in the pathway anyway, experience will show you what causes what, and what to do, as you go.
eg you can need to have some cleaning stuff there as you paint - wet rag, bowl of water... and pause a minute and do a quick on the fly clean, externally. And then every now and then a full strip down of it (which is very quick really) when it shows it is not able to spray correctly.

I have a more expensive 'good; airbrush and they do the same - need cleaning as you go. So it is not related to the $6 price.
I find I like the cheap single action better than the twin action. I can actually do all the same things with it, so I have not seen any useful benefit in the twin action - and they take AGES to clean, as they are far more intricate.
I can paint canopy frames freehand with the $6 airbrush! It can be adjusted so fine that covering a frame bar width can need 10 'lines'! (If you wanted to be that excessively fine). So it is all you really need.
I bought spares, but never have used them... never needed to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Jose... yes, you can use a home compressor. You just need the fitting adaptor to suit.
I stuff around with pressure... from 10psi to 30psi sort of range.

Thinning is by 'view', because different colours (even same brand acrylic) have different thickness. So you can't say '50%' etc. People say "milk consistency'... umm, something like that. Very runny.... not like water, but not a long way from that either.
If it is not thin enough it will clog easy (easier) because of its thickness and that it dries quicker than when thinner too.
Practice on some cardboard etc and as you use it more you will get very good at getting it thinned well enough quite quickly.
I use mainly Windex (window cleaning fluid), or sometimes plain tap water (and haven;t seen an issue with that even). Windex supposedly has useful chemicals in it to assist spray flow.... maybe it does.... all I see is it separate into a blue watery tinge in the paint, that you need to remix before using. LOL. But it seems good for thinning.

Depending on how you are spraying - the wider, heavier spray the less often it will clog and need cleaning as you go. So between the paint being a bit too thick, and just they way they will clog as paint dries in the pathway anyway, experience will show you what causes what, and what to do, as you go.
eg you can need to have some cleaning stuff there as you paint - wet rag, bowl of water... and pause a minute and do a quick on the fly clean, externally. And then every now and then a full strip down of it (which is very quick really) when it shows it is not able to spray correctly.

I have a more expensive 'good; airbrush and they do the same - need cleaning as you go. So it is not related to the $6 price.
I find I like the cheap single action better than the twin action. I can actually do all the same things with it, so I have not seen any useful benefit in the twin action - and they take AGES to clean, as they are far more intricate.
I can paint canopy frames freehand with the $6 airbrush! It can be adjusted so fine that covering a frame bar width can need 10 'lines'! (If you wanted to be that excessively fine). So it is all you really need.
I bought spares, but never have used them... never needed to.
Peter,

Wow, Thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail. I had once tried an airbrush setup for a couple of minutes at an AMA convention, it was really cool. Unfortunately, the starting price was like $400. That was way to rich for my blood, I will definitely try the one you suggested and play around with it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
Some progress shots. Anybody see anything out of the ordinary? This is my first EDF build (I guess "build" is appropriate).
i would inlay some ply wood so you can use wood screws or a "T" nut to bolt your fan it ,that way it is easy to remove....dont glue it in is what im saying.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY