HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Mine arrived today,, man what a sweet looking chunk of airborne foam. I was expecting big surfaces and a lot of throw but wow!! Will be certainly be at no more that 70% and substantial expo for the first flight. I am hoping that the first flight happens tomorrow. We'll see if the wind is as eager to see it in the air. I am sure the AS3X will help tame the wind but I still want a calm day.

Looking forward to the first-flight jitters. I have gotten so comfortable with the Trojan that I am crashing it more. It was time for something that I was afraid of.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Post 1K whoo! lol

Ikan, I was flying my V1 Beast with the recommended expo settings: +45 on the rudd & elev and +55 on the aile. And was comfortable with it.

E-flite recommends zero expo on all the surfaces for the Beast 3D. I've only had the one maiden flight with it. And I didn't feel like it really needed any expo. Just like they suggested.

If you do want some expo on there just to feel a little safer. You may want to start around 15~20. Too much expo could have an adverse effect and cause you to over control it.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Last edited by ICU; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts

Congrats ICU!

Just what ya needed, another addiction.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
E-flite recommends zero expo on all the surfaces for the Beast 3D. I've only had the one maiden flight with it. And I didn't feel like it really needed any expo. Just like they suggested.

If you do want some expo on there just to feel a little safer. You may want to start around 15~20. Too much expo could have an adverse effect and cause you to over control it.

Just got my Beast recently, always flown it without any expo as recommended as well. What I like about that concept, is the fact that suddenly, my DX7 is no longer overcrowded. I could use only one slot for all my AS3X models since currently, my Beast has no trim, no expo, nothing. I could bind the Gee Bee in the same slot and go fly. I could bind the new Mig and go fly.

But sure enough, I would like to know more about expo as I love it on my other airplanes! Anybody else tried it and found it's a must? Or tried it and went back to zero expo because it was very bad? What does everybody else do? Turnern (you're good at hovering), Joel (you're the tuning guy), Babbel (you're the guy who likely have the most flights), anybody else?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
RG - I've never flown mine with any expo. I felt perfect to me without any expo. I think adding some expo in would just make it feel too mushy for me.

But even on m V1 Beast I'm down to minimal amounts of expo and I like it that way.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
my DX7 is no longer overcrowded. I could use only one slot for all my AS3X models since currently, my Beast has no trim, no expo, nothing. I could bind the Gee Bee in the same slot and go fly. I could bind the new Mig and go fly.
Yup, I currently fly four UM models on my "Phoenix Sim" plain Jane DX6i slot -- no expo, no mixes, etc.

The bad thing with this is that you don't want to use any trim on the radio; the good thing is that also makes you take care of physically trimming the model properly!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:

Actually it's really not too hard to cut your own custom PCB with a bit of knowledge on the process. Sure, it takes some tools and know how, but as long as you get someone to design the schematics on Eagle or something and you can print it out on a transparency, then the rest is rather simple.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Thanks RC,
I'm not too addicted to RCG. I only check the boards 6-7 times a day. lol

Plus, I got a new addiction coming to me. A 3D printer. Can't wait to start making a bunch of plastic crap I don't need. lol

Since I took a 3hr lunch today I got some more quality time with the new Beast. I felt like the zero expo is just about perfect. May even need to add a little negative expo.

Beast was flying great in wind that were kinda pushing the Sbach around. Tracked great. The ke's were almost perfect. I think I need to move the cg back just a little from where I was flying today. If the plane pulls toward the gear in ke the cg is a little too far forward, right?

For my last flight I tried jamming my 240 back a little further and I broke one of the guide wires right at the base. Any ideas how I can fix that?

And after 5 flights now I need to put the 5043 V1 Beast motor in there. I don't know if I just got a weak 2500kv motor or this one just sucks in the Beast. I could barely pull out of some attempted hovers, I didn't really try too hard on them cause of the lack of power.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Actually it's really not too hard to cut your own custom PCB with a bit of knowledge on the process. Sure, it takes some tools and know how, but as long as you get someone to design the schematics on Eagle or something and you can print it out on a transparency, then the rest is rather simple.
PCBs like the one I've shown above can be made with tape, and a plastic pan, in your house!! Ask how I know!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Between wind and work I wasn't able to do a lot of flying today. But I think I did enough to learn that it is NOT intended to fly like the Champ at all. And I think my low-rate settings are too low. I underestimated my ability to make small thumb movements.

With higher rates, I will probably still have the wheel pants. My banked turn turned into inverted and, it turns out, I was too low to loop out of it. It was very close though, if it hadn't been on grass, I think it would have touched and took off again. But the grass caught it and flipped it while ripping the pants off. I didn't expect them to stay anyway.

Maybe I will not increase the aileron rates. But I think that may not have been a rate issue but a flat wing issue. Does this bird like to continue to roll after you've asked it to? The T seems to want more aileron to keep rotating.

I didn't spend much time inverted but it doesn't need much elevator to fly level.

Overall a successful deput, the only foam damage was on the spinner from the very first flight. I was being too careful.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Thanks RC,
I'm not too addicted to RCG. I only check the boards 6-7 times a day. lol

Plus, I got a new addiction coming to me. A 3D printer. Can't wait to start making a bunch of plastic crap I don't need. lol

Since I took a 3hr lunch today I got some more quality time with the new Beast. I felt like the zero expo is just about perfect. May even need to add a little negative expo.

Beast was flying great in wind that were kinda pushing the Sbach around. Tracked great. The ke's were almost perfect. I think I need to move the cg back just a little from where I was flying today. If the plane pulls toward the gear in ke the cg is a little too far forward, right?

For my last flight I tried jamming my 240 back a little further and I broke one of the guide wires right at the base. Any ideas how I can fix that?

And after 5 flights now I need to put the 5043 V1 Beast motor in there. I don't know if I just got a weak 2500kv motor or this one just sucks in the Beast. I could barely pull out of some attempted hovers, I didn't really try too hard on them cause of the lack of power.
Are you using Eflite batteries? My Beast 3D would pulse with any throttle setting above 75% and have no power. I just have Eflite 120's and 180's. I didn't have Hyperion batteries at the time so I took it back to the store so someone else could enjoy it till I'm ready to upgrade my batteries.

Maybe that's why you can't pull out of those hovers?
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
PCBs like the one I've shown above can be made with tape, and a plastic pan, in your house!! Ask how I know!
It's cool to see people doing electronic DIY projects. My dad used to be a electrical hobbyist back in the 70s and 80s and showed me many things. Today I'm an engineer and do it myself.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
I have only flown a friends V1 a couple of times, and I was so new, that I didn't really notice if it was that much more powerful? I did notice it was quieter!

We had a real treat of a day here today, picture perfect, so I got about 20 flights on the B3D. I was flying the 180 E flight, the 200 25C E flight, the Nano Tech 180, and mini aviation 210, and they all pull really well, no surging, getting 4 minutes of noob style flying, I was able to get her to hover, and pull out with the NT180s, and the mini 210 no prob! using the stock prop. Today I started to try some Knife Edge flight, I spent several hours last night on the sim practacing, and it paid off today I made many KE passes, and I did a KE loop(way up high) had a blast!

On a side note, I to received the Email from Japan informing me they could no longer ship the cheap way to the US, so I canceled my order, and called AllERC!

WOW great guys there in Arizona, super kudos to Curt, he took lots of time on the phone to help a noob out, and they really know what it takes to provide great Customer Service! I spoke with them early their time on Tuesday, and my box arrived toady at Noon!

I have a box waiting for me at home with 4 210 Hyperion, and 4 180s, and half a doz 5043s GWS props.
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
RG,

Regarding expo - on the V1B, I used 60% on all surfaces. Elevator & rudder pushrods are set for max throw & the aileron pushrods are in the second hole form the inside. Currently, I am not using any expo on the B3D, and the throws are the same as my V1B. The AS3X programming essentially adds some expo, so even with the same throws, the B3D is no where near as sensitive around center as the V1B. I might add a bit more though. I don't like using rate switches, so I always run max throws & mellow things out with expo, as needed.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I wonder what negative expo would to the 3D Beast?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm