HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:35 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Haven't read it in detail Ron, but from a quick browse-thru & reading in spots, looks like you did a fantastic job of documenting your build, with plenty of references & photos. Congrats! I wouldn't hesitate to send a noob to it for a 'Guide To Do It Right'! Pat yourself on the back there, bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post
Great resource! I'll be referring to it all the way through my upcoming build.

thanks!
SH/Protocol/Aeronca, thanks for your comments. I have spent a large # of hrs. creating this build log. I really hope that it does offer much needed help to other newbie's that are going to make similar mods. In addition to the major components listed on pg #1, there is a large number of other parts/supplies that I, as a newbie, had no idea I was going to need. It resulted in multiple orders to HK to get everything which resulted in several delays..

I believe I have every part & part numbers (or where to get) needed to complete the majority of mods identified on pg #1. This level info available to me when I ordered my SkyS would have been VERY helpful...

In particular, I really like the looks of the measuring spoons I found & used for NACA ducts on the front & back of the SkyS. I must say my wife was a real sport when I asked her if I could have them... Of course, being on my knees, tears running down my cheeks & with my wallet open in my hands probably didn't hurt.. Thanks again,
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Tell me does HK also sell the sensors, link please.
For some odd reason HK doesn't list 'em under Eagle Tree - the logger unit itself is all you'll find under that.

Instead, they list 'em under a mishmash, really, but most are under MicroPower. The odd one here & there just 'Micro'.
Easiest way to get onto them is use their search thingy, search 'sensor'....then scan thru the entries & you should be able to pick out the right stuff.

EG, here's one for temp:
MicroPower Micro Temperature Sensor
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=4636

Then there's another in 'loop' config, tho they don't specify that until you get to the product page & see Product ID:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=4637

THEN, there's 3 kinds of RPM sensors....Hall Effect (w/magnets); optical; & the one I got, for brushless:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=4635

There's altimeter, airspeed, GPS modules....all kinds of other goodies for FPV, telemetry...no interest here. Like I said....just scan & pick.

HTH!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
My servo tester/cycler came today and it's already proven to be a very worthwhile item! I have a large number of new HXT-900's and started testing them. Out of four tested so far, I have come across two that were "twitchy" and that vascillated when in "neutral". I put the tester on automatic and exercised each of them for about 5 minutes and both now are dead calm at neutral and no longer "twitchy". I highly recommend a tester now and couldn't have expected more - especially for $9.90 shipped!

Aeronca
Aeronca, thanks for this info!!! I had decided not to buy the servo tester when discussed a few pages back. Didn't know if it would be worth it. However, I too have some servos that are twitchy when in neutral. I have just put them aside. If this tester allows me to repair & use one of these servos, then it has paid for itself; if more of them, then it could be a goldmine... ... Good fined & use of this tester...
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Upwind, downwind, crosswind... Doesn't exist for an aircraft not in contact with the ground.

Ted
Yo Teddie...
Not sure I follow ya there, bud. Upwind puts a heavier load on the plane for the prop/motor to pull. &c.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear of your broken tube and resulting crash.
I believe the Bixler uses a 6mm OD wing tube. I reinforced mine by sliding and gluing a smaller .188" tube inside the stock one.
Were you using any method for holding your wings in like velcro on the wing root ends or the rubber band method? If not, you may want to look into doing so.
Good luck!
Aeronca
Yeah, that. And once again,
READ PAGE ONE!!!!!
And do what it tells ya!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Yo Teddie...
Not sure I follow ya there, bud. Upwind puts a heavier load on the plane for the prop/motor to pull. &c.
Uh... the headwind makes it go slower for a given power output, so it takes more Whr's to travel a given distance, but it's delivered at the same rate for a given airspeed. The plane knows nothing of the air's velocity that it's flying in. Unless, of course, you're talking adding power to keep ground speed constant. Then, you're correct.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
So how is this going to work with SH, he has already purchased it, how do I get the discount when I go to purchase it, and how do I get his buddy code?
Tell me when you're ready to buy, & I'll get it for you.
Oops....saw right after that you already did. BRB.....

Well doody! -- they didn't give me one on the logger! Whassup with that???

Did get a couple on the sensors however -- FWIW, here ya go:
4635 MicroPower Brushless Motor RPM Sensor
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...5-4665852E8E42

4636 MicroPower Micro Temperature Sensor
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...B-78D194710D7D

I made the buy on 10/11 so, better get on it right away (expires ~25th?)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 20, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Uh... the headwind makes it go slower for a given power output, so it takes more Whr's to travel a given distance, but it's delivered at the same rate for a given airspeed. The plane knows nothing of the air's velocity that it's flying in. Unless, of course, you're talking adding power to keep ground speed constant. Then, you're correct.
But that's just it. I ain't testin' the dumb ol' plane, I'm testing its drivetrain.
(Which KNOWS the difference in upwind vs downwind requirements, right?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
But that's just it. I ain't testin' the dumb ol' plane, I'm testing its drivetrain.
(Which KNOWS the difference in upwind vs downwind requirements, right?)
Well, theoretically, I guess. I mean, if your airspeed is 20mph into a 10mph headwind, it'll take you twice the time to get there compared to no headwind. So the motor will run twice as long. (But not any harder... no more watts) But you always have to come back, so then you're doing 30mph ground speed on the way back, but the plane STILL thinks it's doing 20 mph. Imagine a boat is a large flowing river (ignoring wind resistance of course) going upstream and downstream.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, theoretically, I guess. I mean, if your airspeed is 20mph into a 10mph headwind, it'll take you twice the time to get there compared to no headwind. So the motor will run twice as long. (But not any harder... no more watts) But you always have to come back, so then you're doing 30mph ground speed on the way back, but the plane STILL thinks it's doing 20 mph. Imagine a boat is a large flowing river (ignoring wind resistance of course) going upstream and downstream.
'cept that, on the downwind leg (in the strong wind) you gotta ramp up the power to keep it flying. (Lift) But I see where you're coming from. Still, will be interesting to see the data on a chart.

(Not so much for Gene, tho. He's got bigger concerns. Lost the credit card, has drunk himself into a stupor & is barreling down some Interstate in a half-empty beer truck singin' bawdy Master Charge 'Priceless' commercials.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:26 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
'cept that, on the downwind leg (in the strong wind) you gotta ramp up the power to keep it flying. (Lift) But I see where you're coming from. Still, will be interesting to see the data on a chart.

(Not so much for Gene, tho. He's got bigger concerns. Lost the credit card, has drunk himself into a stupor & is barreling down some Interstate in a half-empty beer truck singin' bawdy Master Charge 'Priceless' commercials.)
Not yet.

Quote:
Yo Teddie...
Actually it doesn't. It's air speed load remains the same up wind or down. The only thing that may change the is YOU backing off the throttle thinking you are going too fast downwind. (you are judging it as ground speed as you see it)..and then try to turn and tip stall.

Get ground speed out of your head.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Oct 20, 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spilled beer on keyboard.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Your last statement is false. The way the brushless ESC works is that is pulses at full current for a set time. By varying the duty cycle, you get your average current that's delivered to the motor. So if your motor is a 20A motor pulling 20A and you have a 25A ESC, each pulse delivers 25A but only for 80% of the time, giving you an average 20A. You'll only measure 20A even though it pulses at 25A. If you try to pull 30-35A out of a 25A ESC, it'll try to deliver 30-35A, whatever the motor asks for, so it'll be full on and will eventually blow your ESC.
Don't do it, even if it's worked for you before. You're just asking for trouble.
You are totally correct.
You motor prop/combo should never pull more amps then the esc can pass through and the battery can deliver, at full throttle. It will draw this current and voltage many times a second at full and your watt meter will only give you the average.
Running a system like a 3900kv motor rated at 40amps max with a 6x4 prop and drawing 58amps with a 60amp esc at 1/2 throttle will still eventually kill the motor.
This is why we all don't use 5000kv motors and only use 1/2 throttle.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Okeydoke....thanks for that. It'll be neat if you can record 3-4 flights without the hassle between each.

I'll tell ya one thing I wish they had....a cheap heading (compass) sensor without having to go to the full GPS. That'd make it pretty easy to relate readings to which way you were traveling re wind direction or flight pattern. Seems it'd a pretty easy thing to develop, with all the tech they've built in already.
There's a guy on the EZ* thread who used a cheap auto dashboard "ball in water" compass for a while. He flew FPV and he could see it via camera while flying. Very effective, then he went GPS and OSD......and that's no BS you BMF.....

Quote:
SH from what I have seen AJ post the answer is pretty much what jrjr said, if its too hot to handle upgrade.

Dont get me started on the sickness with this hobby, my card is completely stressed out thats why I have started using Genes card
If it's not too much trouble.....you think you guys could take it a bit easy on my card for a while... I need a few bucks to finish my pool.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,024 Posts
Quote:
My servo tester/cycler came today and it's already proven to be a very worthwhile item! I have a large number of new HXT-900's and started testing them. Out of four tested so far, I have come across two that were "twitchy" and that vascillated when in "neutral". I put the tester on automatic and exercised each of them for about 5 minutes and both now are dead calm at neutral and no longer "twitchy". I have long suspected servos like these acted the way they did because of the less-than-perfect meshing of the gears caused by the gear molding process. I don't know if my suspicions were correct or not, but exercising them a bit has them both working very smoothly and each now has a dead calm neutral.

The manual mode on the tester is great to test slow movements and to verify the neutral position by moving the servo as far as possible in one direction then hitting the neutral button. The "automatic" setting is excellent for getting a good gear mesh - or whatever the exercising does for it. I normally would put "twitchy" servos aside and tend not to use them unless I got desperate, so I have a back log of several different sized servos to check out now along with all of the new ones.

I highly recommend a tester now and couldn't have expected more - especially for $9.90 shipped!

Aeronca
Do you have the link to this? I would search through the last pages but I'm feeling lazy right now.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:33 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
There's a servo current sensor you attach to the logger. For the BEC, I put it on the ESC channel, for the UBEC, I connected it on the UBEC going to the receiver. I do remember that I forgot to change it once or twice but that was for the APC prop, if I remember correctly, so looking at the stock prop values, that should be accurate. The most I saw was 1A in my other data points where I moved the servos like mad.
Thanks! Yea I noticed later that there was one graph that I had not looked at earlier where the servo current went to almost an amp for two to three seconds and about .7 amp three other times for a second or so. And then at the end it popped up to an amp and then fell back to a steady draw of something like .83 amps to the end. Looked like it might have come to rest with a surface being pressed against the servo action. Like those graphs!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks