Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:40 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
Discussion
Carbon fiber rash

Ok, I've been working with some pre-cured carbon fiber (cutting and sanding) and I forgot to wear proper protection (gloves and long sleeves). Yea, I know, I know, bad ju-ju.

I have gotten the most irritating rash on my hands and wrists from the fine CF particles eating into my skin.

I've tried tape (sticking it my skin and peeling it off), no luck.

Anyone have a cure!?!?!?!?!? This is driving me NUTS!!!
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 01:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
493 Posts
If it is the small carbon “fibers” that entered your skin, then a very hot bath for a long time will greatly help. It is the way you get rid of the “pink” insulating fiber while handling it. Now, the fact that you (probably) “scratched” a lot due to the rash most probably will have driven the fiber further “down”… Time is the only cure!

I am not so sure that the carbon “dust” is the only culprit… Was it an epoxy based layup? In that case I would be a bit more carful as the carbon “fiber” by irritating the skin has facilitated the migration of epoxy residues inside the skin. You might be starting a reaction to epoxy products. I truly hope not as it is NO cure for it.

Good luck and next time be a bit more carful.
fnev is online now Find More Posts by fnev
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:18 AM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnev
I am not so sure that the carbon “dust” is the only culprit… Was it an epoxy based layup? In that case I would be a bit more carful as the carbon “fiber” by irritating the skin has facilitated the migration of epoxy residues inside the skin. You might be starting a reaction to epoxy products. I truly hope not as it is NO cure for it.

Good luck and next time be a bit more carful.
I'm afraid that might be the case and you have developed contact dermatitis. Take an anti-histamine like Benadryl and if things don't improve you'll have to go to the doctor, probably for a steroid creme. Without knowing for certain why you are reacting many skin treatments can make things worse.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:22 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
Have to say, soaking in hot water helped quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just hope I haven't started developing a reaction to epoxy. Normally I'm very diligent in making sure I am wearing appropriate protection. But I was in a bit of a hurry this time and skipped over my normal routine. I paid the price, and have learned my lesson.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:13 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,042 Posts
I have always heard that getting in the shower with the water as hot as it will go and stadning off to the side and just sweating it out works pretty good. The sweat come from the pores and pushes anything out that may be there...never had the need to try so I can't vouch for it.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:39 PM
Burner!!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
Start with the water cold when you are first cleaning up to close the pores and rinse the loose particles off first. Once you itch a very warm bath with epson salt seems to help me.
Sensitivity to epoxy will eventually subside, it only took me about 20 years. I am now very careful to block contact with my skin and using the West systems epoxy seems to have helped too.
PlaneCrazee is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
76 Posts
What I've learned from my coworkers for working with composite dust is that they coat their exposed skin in baby-powder beforehand. They say it plugs up your pores so that the dust can't settle in. I haven't tried it myself because I just learned this method, but I plan on doing so the next time I grind/sand composite parts.
TheThomas is offline Find More Posts by TheThomas
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:34 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
576 Posts
The hot shower or bath works but if you really want to get the carbon (or any foreign object) out of your pores/skin get a loaf of white bread and mix the full loaf with boiling water to make a poultice.

Let it cool down until you can touch it comfortably (but not cold) and coat the offending areas about 6mm deep.

It helps to have an extra set of hands for this but if alone you can do one hand at a time and leave it on for a couple/4 hours while you watch a movie or whatever...it works really well.

T.D.
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
708 Posts
Wow--I just googled "Carbon Fiber Skin Rash" and was directed here. Ironic because I got a rash on my hands after assembling a carbon fiber frame for a multicopter.

I had no idea that carbon fiber could be so nasty and so I didn't wear any gloves when putting the kit together.

I am surprised that this happened, but now I have a rash on both hands between thumb and forefinger where I was holding the CF arms while attaching to the main airframe.

After reading this thread, I am pretty convinced that CF is the culprit.

Thanks,

Matt
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs