HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2014, 01:00 AM
Joined Jun 2007
421 Posts
Ok here is the video I was not finding time to render for last two weeks.
Plenty of space to take off and land
That was first attempts with Mobius wide lens HD camera on board.
12 minute single flight condensed into 4 minutes video.
Dive at 1:50 with no power, about 50 degrees.
Weather did not cooperate (overcast) but I still managed to get rid of some of that itch.
Polaris brought back to shore some nice aerials of the islands. Enjoy, da?

Polaris Ultra FPV seaplane on islands (4 min 26 sec)
DenisM is online now Find More Posts by DenisM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:04 AM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
What a nice place to fly, perfect for the Polaris. Maybe next time you'll have some sun and we can really see the islands. My problem is wind; seems like every time I fly the Polaris it's 10-15mph, gusting to 20.

MultiWii seems quite stable. I use MultiWii Flip 1.5 boards on my Spanky miniquad and my Titan Tricopter, work very well in those applications. I am currently installing an EagleTree Vector into my Polaris, should be ready to fly within the week. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Thanks for sharing!
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:01 PM
Joined Jun 2007
421 Posts
Hold on, I will render another one from last week end... Sunny, PM and AM flights, winds up to 10-12 knots. Yachts.

It took me about 25 test flights (with video review almost every time) to tune MultiWii... apparently is close to the best it can do. I am flying in the stable (gyro) mode all the time except aerobatics and taxi. When gyros are off (acro mode) my Polaris is very difficult to fly. It tends to roll left or right and points nose down to the ground in 30 degrees dive. CG is back 8 - 10mm of the stop on the bottom. Already carry 1 oz of sliced led in the vertical stab. Looks like I need either to lighten the battery (5000mAh down to 4000mAh) or add more led.

BTW I have no canopy on it... not sure if that helps with pitch up or other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
What a nice place to fly, perfect for the Polaris. Maybe next time you'll have some sun and we can really see the islands. My problem is wind; seems like every time I fly the Polaris it's 10-15mph, gusting to 20.

MultiWii seems quite stable. I use MultiWii Flip 1.5 boards on my Spanky miniquad and my Titan Tricopter, work very well in those applications. I am currently installing an EagleTree Vector into my Polaris, should be ready to fly within the week. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:56 AM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM View Post
It tends to roll left or right and points nose down to the ground in 30 degrees dive. CG is back 8 - 10mm of the stop on the bottom. Already carry 1 oz of sliced led in the vertical stab. Looks like I need either to lighten the battery (5000mAh down to 4000mAh) or add more led.

BTW I have no canopy on it... not sure if that helps with pitch up or other way around.
I flew the Polaris LOS w/no FPV gear a few times after I put it together. It was nose-heavy even without any FPV gear. Interesting how a plane with all of its mechanicals and the heaviest part, the motor, behind the CG can still be so nose heavy. With FPV gear, I have to fly with the battery (3300 mAh, 4S) all the way pushed back behind the cockpit area, and I still have to correct with a bit of up trim. I really don't like using lead, the plane is already overweight with all the gear. Probably why my Polaris is so twitchy; I'm trying to trim and fly around the CG issue rather than use lead. But, as you can see, it doesn't stop me from having a great time with it.

Canopy: I have canopy on, I tried the pan/tilt pod from MA and, while it worked, and fit well, it just added way too much weight in the front. Not sure how canopy on/off would affect pitch. When I flew with the canopy off and the pan/tilt pod installed, it wanted to pitch down, but I attributed that to the extra weight in front of the CG.

The Polaris was extremely roll sensitive even without any FPV gear. Was a handful in wind until I installed the Guardian. It flies great in wind now, but the video suffers. The few days I've flown it with little wind it was very stable. Got the Vector installed last night, hoping to fly it tomorrow -- today the wind is 25mph, gusting to 40.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2007
421 Posts
as per windfinder.com next flyable weather is Thursday and Friday next week.....

This got me some indoor time to produce last weekend video.
Sunny and clear, visibility 16SM.

Polaris Ultra FPV on the lake (10 min 23 sec)
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:53 PM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
Thanks for that. Great flight, beautiful place there. I really like the low flybys over the water, gives a great sense of the speed. That hi-speed touch and go was a bit hairy, but you pulled it off.

I maidened my Polaris with the EagleTree Vector installed. Wouldn't you know it, it was very windy today again. I haven't reviewed the footage yet, but I'm going to say it's unwatchable. However, the Vector performed flawlessly, RTH and Loiter worked great first time and each time. Looking forward to some calm days.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2010
955 Posts
Great FPV videos guys! I always wanted to FPV my Polaris XL, but too parinoid that equipment will get wet. Just flying around with the Mobious and CG starts to be an issue. My gut feeling is 5.8 vtx on engine pylon, everything back as far as possible.

Could you PLEASE post some pics of your FPV setups, and how you keep stuff dry?

Since I don't feel like building a new (3rd!) XL kit, I think I will just get this one. Slightly smaller, hopefully tougher (that depron is fragile stuff for a boat trip!!). I have a vector that I dont have an airframe for, extra cams, and IMRC 5.8 vtxs. Just need time and maybe some inspiration pics.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:09 PM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Could you PLEASE post some pics of your FPV setups, and how you keep stuff dry?
My install. I've been through a few variations/FPV setups with the Polaris. EZOSD and 5.8 video w/2.4 RC; Skylark Trace w/1.3 video, 433 RC, and ET Guardian; and currently Vector w/1.3 video and 433 RC. CG will always be an issue. I chose to mount the Vtx on the outside (w/full case) for cooling effect. It gets pretty hot in the fuse. You can see I ran a tube from the nose for cooling airflow. I use 1.3 vid so I can go behind obstacles and not lose video so easily. 5.8 is inferior in that regard.

I don't worry about water, but then again, I don't fly from water. I do lots of flying from snow/ice in the winter, though, and have never had an issue. In the winter I plug the cooling tube and put a strip of foam and a folded up paper towel in the fuse above the Rx/Vector. Traps any moisture.
Last edited by bmw111; Jul 08, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined May 2010
955 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I actually have all those components lying around..... I do however fly off water. Maybe a simple setup to begin with.... Been FPV'n for a while now, just not off water.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 09, 2014, 02:07 PM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
Quick RTH vid with the Vector. You can see how windy/gusty it was. Great test for the Vector, though. My FYDOS in the Penguin schlepps all over the place while returning to home, big S turns, takes forever. It eventually gets back, but uses up way too much mAh doing so. Not the Vector, made a straight beeline right back home, wind be damned. I had it set up to descend to 200 ft from 400 ft RTH altitude once it hit a 500 ft diameter circle around home. It then loitered at 200 ft alt in a 200 ft diameter circle above home. Was a bit too tight, so I pushed that out to 300 ft diameter at 300 ft altitude. If you look closely at the OSD speed ladder, you can see it hit over 80 mph during the loiter when it turned with the wind. woohoo! And, yeah, I lowered the throttle cruise percentage, too.

Eagle Tree Vector RTH Test with a Model Aero Polaris (2 min 11 sec)
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Hollister
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Anybody have any suggestions for some reasonably priced waterproof servos that will fit in this thing. One little dip of the nose and off comes the canopy and water in the servos. No more flying for a few days till they dry out. This is the third time this has happened and I'm sure they are not going to last much longer. Thanks in advance for the help.
thedentman03 is offline Find More Posts by thedentman03
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,944 Posts
You can make almost any servo "waterproof" by treating the servo circuit board with CorrosionX. There are several threads here on RCG with step-by-step process listed. I use and recommend CorrosionX. I've been flying my water planes and running several boats all with receivers and servo treated with CorrosionX. No problems with water intrusion.

You can also use CorrosionX to treat electronics that have been "dunked" to help prevent future corrosion and remove the white corrosion that may have already started to form. You should also treat the servo connectors to protect the strands of the servo wires as they are exposed at the crimp connectors.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
421 Posts
With all respect CorrosionX is not a solution to servos. Yes you can protect PCB but it will not help motor and most importantly pot. A drop of corrosion x on the pot will make servo go bad.
You can use corrosionX with ESC, receiver, BEC but not servos.
Also do not use with cameras as it will get on the sensor glass.

Please use "thread tools" and check for the attachments .. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...rter=no&page=2

You will see some yellow painted (+100 gram..) plane. That is the one I worked on. On my posts from beginning of the year you will see some internals, deck, FC case..

In regards of servo goal is to prevent water from entering the servo case.
There is plenty of info in Internet how to do it right. Mostly it comes from RC car guys.
In few words - top shaft pack bearing with servo grease, install rubber seal between the case and horn. I use earphone silicone buds, cut to size. Local dollar store. Case and servo cable entry is sealed with Plastidip, get the brush on one not the spray.

I specifically made plane to go on the water. After that last flight I posted about 100 ml of water came out of the plane when I inverted it after landing.
Paper towels for protection? You must be kidding me.
Likely will need to make standard practice to go inverted for a bit to drain water after take of from rough waters. Or make receiver switch operated drain
I had canopy and center hatch all taped with frog tape (3/4 in painters tape).
There is nothing mounted on the bottom of the plane except the battery.
Blue deck in center section, midline holds receiver, BEC, ESC, OSD, current sensor and air speed sensor. VTX mounted on the side. VTX antenna and RX antenna use ear buds as seals.
Motor - no protection needed.
FPV cam in plastic case, sealed with plastidip.
Mobius - plastidip in the lanyard holes, painters tape over all holes.

Model is splash proof but not water poof definitely. Needed to vent ESC. 600mW 5.8 VTX is surviving, heats up to 48 deg C.
It can take water in, take off, fly, touch and go mid big lake on the waves with 10kt wind, fly back, land on water (what is it land on water??) in safe place and taxi back to shore all wet in and out, fully operational with HD video on the SD card inside mobius. And I have 15 minutes of fun per every 5000mAh 3S charge.

Denis ///M
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
188 Posts
>>Likely will need to make standard practice to go inverted for a bit to drain water >>after take of from rough waters.

Yeah, that^^^

Old Today, 05:03 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,944 Posts
That's why this hobby is so much fun, there are many solutions for each problem and many different experiences with each solution. After 5+ years of positive results with CorrosionX, I think I'll stick with my solutions.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28