HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 02:47 AM
Joined Dec 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
The FrSky GPS unit works quite nicely! Especially if you have a Taranis radio and use its logging capabilities.
+1 The telemetry from the FrSky using only the GPS will give you a CSV formatted log file saved on your TX that can be read into the OpenTX Companion app and displayed directly on GE.

To get a more elegant GE rendition with tagged waypoints use the same log file with GPS Visualizer to get this

Name: BirdsHill 9 Sept 2014.JPG
Views: 12
Size: 171.4 KB
Description:

a screen shot from this BirdsHill KMZ file.

p.s doubles as a lost plane locator as you are getting a constant flow of GPS coordinates displayed on your TX and a RSSI display too.

Add an inexpensive Vario and work those thermals. Add a voltage sensor and stay aloft all day until you start worrying about low voltage.

Does it sound like I've drunk the koolaid on FrSKY stuff ... yup! So back on topic... here it is in a Radian

Name: 20141003_171924.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 480.7 KB
Description:
fractalicious is offline Find More Posts by fractalicious
Last edited by fractalicious; Today at 03:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,583 Posts
I'm new to sailplanes, but I have to say that the Radian is a perfect 1st sailplane. I only did minor mods(taped the wings and added 1/4oz of weight to the tail to get the CG around 3.25") and she flies awesome. This morning I found a thermal and after turning back into it, the Radian just kept circling, all the while gaining altitude. Being new, I bailed out @ around 700 feet because it was getting a little too far out and I didn't feel comfortable.

You guys that go up to 2000+feet must have some great eyes. Or maybe in time I'll get comfortable enough to challenge those heights!! LOL

Anyways, if you're thinking of getting into sailplanes, the Radian will not disappoint you.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Today, 11:14 AM
Spring? Ever?
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
1,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
I'm new to sailplanes, but I have to say that the Radian is a perfect 1st sailplane. I only did minor mods(taped the wings and added 1/4oz of weight to the tail to get the CG around 3.25") and she flies awesome. This morning I found a thermal and after turning back into it, the Radian just kept circling, all the while gaining altitude. Being new, I bailed out @ around 700 feet because it was getting a little too far out and I didn't feel comfortable.

You guys that go up to 2000+feet must have some great eyes. Or maybe in time I'll get comfortable enough to challenge those heights!! LOL

Anyways, if you're thinking of getting into sailplanes, the Radian will not disappoint you.
At first I remember when 600 feet looked really high.. Then a couple weeks of flying later I remember when 600 feet didn't look that high, but 900 feet looked "crazy high"... Now when I go out, with the same exact eyes, same sunglasses, 900 looks pretty low to me.

What does still look very high to me? About 1200 to 1500 feet.. when it gets that high, it starts getting pretty small, and looks like it would be very easy to lose track of, especially if it is down range 500 to 700 feet or so.

It is something you get used to, and get comfortable with. I am sure by the end of the summer, 1500 feet won't seem so crazy, and that 2000 feet will be where I think it is just ridiculously high.. who knows. I may start using FPV gear "just in case" with those high flight, then if I do loose direct eye contact with the plane, at least I might get an FPV signal, and maybe guide it back down that way.. even if I never intend to use FPV for that flight.

The reason I am making larger wings is not only for more lift, but so I can go higher and still see the thing. That is why I am contemplating ditching the 2.7 meter wing, and going up to around 2.8 or 2.9 meters, just for better visibility. I am sure it will float like crazy too though, even with the added weight I have on my Radian:
Tm1000, heavier spinner, tail weight, carbon strips for stiffness/ strength, tape on wings, etc.. It all adds up.
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Today, 01:55 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,583 Posts
BWX ~ many thanks for your input!
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Today, 04:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
312 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished result!
Stu L is online now Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Today, 06:04 PM
Spring? Ever?
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
1,635 Posts
Man that Radian Pro Spar that came with one set of my new radian wings is heavy!

Radian wings/spars weights (6 min 9 sec)

-edit-
Added some pics of 3 meter radians I had on my hard drive. I'm sure they are made by people here in this thread.

I haven't decided on length yet. One of my 1000mm tubes is a crunchy on the end so I will have to cut that off.. I still will probably have plenty of spar for a 3 meter wing. 3 meters looks so huge though. I'm sure it'll fly ok though, and definitely be easier to see at 2000+ feet.
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Last edited by BWX_; Today at 06:12 PM.