Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:03 PM
Constructive Destruction
United States, VA, Christiansburg
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Discussion
Scary-Tree RC

Hey Christiansburg/Radford/Blacksburg Flyers,

I just got the okay to start a club here in Christiansburg at Sinkland Farms. It's not off the ground yet, I just met with the owner Miss Susan Sink this afternoon and she has graciously allowed me and our future club to use her land for an RC flying field. I'm submitting the paperwork to get a charter and we should be live and ready to go by the beginning of April, just in time for flying season to start. If you would like more information on it, just send me a private message on here. I'll update this thread regularly as I get more information on our status as an official AMA sanctioned flying club.

Best Wishes,

-JS
statiiic is offline Find More Posts by statiiic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
Which one is aileron again?
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
872 Posts
I was there!
prototype3a is online now Find More Posts by prototype3a
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,495 Posts
Any pictures of the field? How much room?
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
Constructive Destruction
United States, VA, Christiansburg
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Re: Skippy

I will get pictures up here soon. It's a pretty good sized field on a farm. www.sinklandfarms.com is the website. They might have some pictures on there. It's a bit hilly, but there is some decent flat space toward the back of the property. Probably be perfect for a grass strip.
statiiic is offline Find More Posts by statiiic
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
United States, VA, Pilot
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
joey i am very happy that it's working out. only a few miles from home. can't wait. if you need anything call me and i'll help anyway i can. Thanks,ED!
harley ed is offline Find More Posts by harley ed
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Did this ever go aanywhere?

I'm right down the road and new to flying and if this is still panning out count me as interested!
ebrammer252 is offline Find More Posts by ebrammer252
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:47 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,653 Posts
Hey is that little convenient store/gas station still there owned by the Hudsons?
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
872 Posts
We're currently working to meet the minimum AMA requirements for forming a club and completing the required paperwork.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
We're currently working to meet the minimum AMA requirements for forming a club and completing the required paperwork.
Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I may be a n00b but I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I've got a 26" syma helicopter I'm dying to mess around with.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
amo ludibria ventis
Joined Oct 2010
7,653 Posts
Fixed pitch or collective? I thought syma just made coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I may be a n00b but I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I've got a 26" syma helicopter I'm dying to mess around with.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
Fixed pitch or collective? I thought syma just made coax
It's the S033, 26in coaxial. I don't have any good places nearby to mess with it currently without risking it going on top of the building or hitting cars. Actually, since there seem to be a few people frequenting this thread. For a first plane what do you guys think of either the Stratos Firebird or a Bixler?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:44 PM
amo ludibria ventis
Joined Oct 2010
7,653 Posts
Stratos. For part support and Horizon Hobby's top notch customer service. That or you could look at the Super Cub LP.

As for helicopters, even large coaxials don't do too well in the wind. If you are pretty solid at flying it, you may want to move into a fixed pitch heli from Blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
It's the S033, 26in coaxial. I don't have any good places nearby to mess with it currently without risking it going on top of the building or hitting cars. Actually, since there seem to be a few people frequenting this thread. For a first plane what do you guys think of either the Stratos Firebird or a Bixler?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Yeah, I was actually looking at a purchasing a decent FP next month some time. Thanks for the recommend, I figured that would be my better bet since it has some 'handicap' features which can be disabled.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:08 AM
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
872 Posts
I would just get RealFlight 6.5 and the new brushless mCP-x. FP helis will teach you bad habits and the ones made by horizon are money sinks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:34 AM
amo ludibria ventis
Joined Oct 2010
7,653 Posts
You're recommending someone go from syma coaxial to a brushless collective pitch and kinda twitchy little bird.... at a cost of $229 without a transmitter?

He wants to spend $100 or less. I've never had any issue with a Blade product that they didn't fix or replace free. And if you take your time, you don't break anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
I would just get RealFlight 6.5 and the new brushless mCP-x. FP helis will teach you bad habits and the ones made by horizon are money sinks.