HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:05 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,711 Posts
No, no website.
We used to piggy back on the Crawfish festival, but we are no longer associated with the event.

August 8th, Second Saturday in August, 9am - 10pm.
The hotel is on the pond, and we have a dinner there Saturday night.
Night float beginning about 8:30pm.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
No, no website.
We used to piggy back on the Crawfish festival, but we are no longer associated with the event.

August 8th, Second Saturday in August, 9am - 10pm.
The hotel is on the pond, and we have a dinner there Saturday night.
Night float beginning about 8:30pm.

Thanks for the info. I stayed in that hotel last year and enjoyed the stay. Maybe by doing the event at a different time than the Crawfish festival, more rooms will be available at the hotel.

Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:20 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,487 Posts
Mike, Maybe something like this to get her into the water.
Scale Ship Modeler , March/ April 1994
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Mar 14, 2015, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
Mike, Maybe something like this to get her into the water.
Scale Ship Modeler , March/ April 1994
What did we do before PVC pipe? With a steep hill to traverse, I'm thinking of using bicycle tires.

Mike
Old Mar 14, 2015, 09:59 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,961 Posts
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/...AAE-1-4135.axd I've made some garden carts with these..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Mar 15, 2015, 08:34 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,467 Posts
If they ever outlaw; duct tape, sheetrock screws, and pvc pipe, live will end as we know it
Foo (yes I am still alive)
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 15, 2015, 01:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
29,745 Posts
Only now, it's "duck" tape, and comes in many colors and prints!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,467 Posts
Cylinder Drains, Preston

The cylinder drain system is the last major part of the engine installation. The drain valve and servo is now just about ready to drop into the boat. The cylinder drain valve takes condensate from both ends of each engine and routes it to a 4-in-2 out rotary valve. The 2 out vents the steam and water overboard. The servo will be operated by a 3-way switch on the DX10t with OFF, 1/2 open and Full Open positions. Once all the tubing is cut and bent and installed for the cylinder drains, we'll be able to steam up the boat and run the engines and turn the paddlewheel under steam power. All that will be left to do is lag all the steam lines and she'll be done!

The shop is ready to accept Preston. I still need to come up with an easy way to carry the boat down to the dock.

Mike on Island Lake
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
29,745 Posts
Sounds good Mike....looking forward to photos, and maybe a video of it running, and of course the maiden voyage...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:20 PM
Joined Jun 2014
69 Posts
As I posted in the other thread,

You should rethink what your doing with the condensate, with the condensate will be steam oil and if you discharge it overboard you will create an oil slick on the waters surface. You need to collect the condensate with its oil before venting the steam overboard. It will keep the others who use your lake happy.

Steve
steveciambrone1 is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone1
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:38 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
377 Posts
Steve

We have thought of that and Mike will only be opening the cylinder drains when the vessel is out of the water sitting on the grass. The drains will also only be open for a short time.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is online now Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman2005 View Post
Steve

We have thought of that and Mike will only be opening the cylinder drains when the vessel is out of the water sitting on the grass. The drains will also only be open for a short time.

Dave
What Dave says. The cylinder drain system is not for show, so it will only be used as part of steaming up while the boat is on its work stand. An old bath towel will be kept close by during cylinder draining ops.

Mike
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,467 Posts
Cylinder Drains on Preston

Machine and soldering work completed on cylinder drain valve and control servo. The design uses a rotary valve to open and close drains at each end of the cylinders. In the closed position the valve must completely seal or steam will be lost past the valve. The valve takes 4 steam lines from the two engines, feeds it into a 4 in X 2 out assembly that routes condensate overboard. (Only to be cycled prior to launch) The rotary valve (shown below) is turned by a mini-servo and controlled by a 3-way switch on the DX10t, OFF, 1/2 OPEN, and FULL OPEN. We may be able to steam up the plant by the end of the week and see the paddle wheel turning under engine power for the first time. The valve is about an inch tall for reference. The bronze disk has 4 arced grooves milled into the mating surface and is held in place by a spring loaded tapered shaft. Pressure between the disk and square valve face can be adjusted by the spring retaining nut on the back side of the valve. All steam lines attach with ferrules and union nuts for easy installation and removal. We'll show the operation of the cylinder drain system in a video.

Mike on Island Lake
Last edited by hookpilot; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.