SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2015, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
Discussion
Can't connect Taranis to Companion 9X

A while back, I was using Companion 9X to program my radio. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but all of a sudden I couldn't connect any more. Apparently, I killed something.

I can try to use Zadig to install the Bootloader, but it is not on the drop down list.

When I connect the Taranis, the computer does not recognize it.

I know there are a hundred "can't flash my taranis" threads... but I can't find any that are helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jim_bo is offline Find More Posts by Jim_bo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 02:47 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,291 Posts
If you are on OpenTX 2.0 you need to use OpenTX Companion, not the older Companion9X. Is that the issue?

http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
Last edited by MattyB; Feb 27, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
No.... That's not it. My computer doesn't even recognize the taranis.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 04:07 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,291 Posts
Can you list out your firmware version, C9x version, PC model and computer OS? May help us troubleshoot. Don't worry, we'll fix it!

Ps - Is the port you are connecting to USB 2.0 or 3.0? Prior to upgrading to OpenTX 2.0 I know getting the TX to talk via a v3.0 port could be difficult on some PCs (my HP laptop was one of these).
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
I have no 3.0 USB ports on my computer. Computer is a Dell laptop running windows vista.

On the "version" screen of the taranis, it says: VERS: opentx-x9d-v1.1.02
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
Anyone else got any suggestions?
Old Mar 02, 2015, 06:21 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,291 Posts
OK, based on the info provided here are my suggestions:
  1. Uninstall Zadig so you can start from scratch.
  2. Reinstall the latest version from here.
  3. Get your Taranis talking to the PC by following the instructions on OpenTX University. Go steady, follow it step by step and you should be fine.
  4. Once you have the TX talking to the PC, download the EEPROM file from it using C9X and save it with a descriptive filename (I usually make sure it includes the date too). This is your backup, so keep it in a safe place!
  5. Now it's time to upgrade to OpenTX2.0, that way you never have to play with Zadig again! Follow the instructions in this video and you should be fine:

OpenTX 2.0 and Beyond - Episode 5 - Upgrading a Taranis to OpenTX 2.0 (10 min 50 sec)
Let us know how it goes!
Old Mar 03, 2015, 12:14 AM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
Sorry... no joy.

I have 4 USB ports on my computer. 3 of them don't see anything when I plug the taranis in (yes, it is turned off). One of the gives me the "beep beep" when I plug in the USB, but it says "device not recognized". In the device manager, it comes up as "unknown device" under USB controller. In Zadig, it comes up as "unknown device". No STM Bootloader. No STM device in the device manager.

Does this mean that my transmitter is defective?? It works fine and I can program it manually.

Don't know where to go from here.
Last edited by Jim_bo; Mar 03, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
Uuugghhhh..... where is Scott Page when I need him??
Old Mar 04, 2015, 09:37 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,291 Posts
I suggest you post here, there is more traffic and a lot of experts populate that thread. Sorry I couldn't get you a solution.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2014
109 Posts
I posted to the thread suggested, but there are over 2500 posts on that thread. My post will likely get passed over quickly and buried. I'm still hoping that someone will be able to come here and be helpful.