New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2015, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
77 Posts
Discussion
Micro P80 Shooting Star

This is my P80 Shooting star which I have just finished, I built it from Muttcakes plans from this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803743

I found it enjoyable and rewarding to build. Plane is made from 3mm foam and has droptanks which were designed by me. Power is from a PZ UM Mustang motor mounted in a GWS 30mm fan unit, and receiver/servo combo is from the PZ mini vapor. Maiden will be tomorrow if weather is permitting and hopefully the plane should fly well.
R31 Mark is online now Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Last edited by R31 Mark; May 15, 2015 at 06:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,522 Posts
Nice work on the Shooting star, I didn't realize the mini vapor brick could handle a P-51 motor and then in a 30mm direct drive DF. tough little brick. Good job on the connections for the brushed motor also like the heat shrink wrap idea to fit it in the DF unit. The jet looks great in detail. Look forward to hearing how she flew. Big cord wing wing a bit of dihedral in wing should make it fly. Using a 1s would probably give you a few minutes of flight. What's the overall flight weight?
Maybe to lighten it up would use 3mm foam for fuselage and 2mm for wings (CF rod to keep it from bending) But you did a great job on it still. Good flying.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old May 16, 2015, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
77 Posts
Thanks NEWBEFLYER, yeah I'm kinda surprised as well but its great, means I can save a lil bit of cash. Not sure on the flight weight as I don't have a scale handy, but Thankyou, and cheers for the advice r.e. the wings and CF rod

I maidened her today, I found that she kept ditching to the left, and after playing with the wings (thought they could be uneven) I also removed the drop tanks. Still no difference. I started to realise that its probably due to the battery placement, as this is also on the right side of the fuselage.

I decided to move the battery about and with some masking tape holding it in place I was able to see that it had an effect. I then removed the battery and tried gliding it, without the battery the plane would glide fine.

Next I put a 5 cent coin right on the right hand side of the nose, and brought the battery right to the front of the left side of the nose. I found that it flew! and it is definitely CG related rather than bad craftsmanship (LOL)

So now I am kind of bummed because I will have a shiny coin on the right hand side on the nose and a battery hanging off the left, (I really wanted to show off the yellow nose art I did). But I suppose its better to be able to fly then not at all right? even at the cost of some good looks. I will probably put the drop tanks back on and see if it flies okay with them still, because I really did like how it looks with them however.
R31 Mark is online now Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old May 16, 2015, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by RNAF
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,359 Posts
I like it Mark!
Good news for me about the P51 motor. I'm quite fond of my Mini Vapor bricks. Also means more possibilities

My experience is that, when the aircraft the smaller, the more critical your longitudinal CG becomes. Batteries, receivers.. Place them in the middle Otherwise you could try and make one drop tank heavier to compensate.
RNAF is online now Find More Posts by RNAF