cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by doomracing
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,827 Posts
new sails are basically remove them lay them on your choice of material, and cut to match. reinforce the corners and rehang them on the standing rig. the original paper backed plastic sails are horrible in light wind. short of putting taller sails on it from a bit larger boat new material is best.

personally id love to try a drum winch, or maybe better routing points for the sheets. i switched to a thinner string for my sheets, but there's still some friction on light wind days, or later in the day when the wind dies down in the eavnings.

the nirvana is a great boat, but i sailed a victoria setup for racing. my god i thought i was sailing my USOM!! yes it was that fast, and good. a bit pricey to setup though. i say copy the stock sails in better materiel.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2016, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by seabee CE
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
Joined Feb 2012
584 Posts
Thanks to gvank for sending me a FM transmitter and receiver to help a guy sell his boat.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Feb 19, 2016, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by k4pacific
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
All my new rigging is done. Could someone please give me the approximate height of the jib boom above the deck? Much appreciated.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old Feb 19, 2016, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by dwatson
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
All my new rigging is done. Could someone please give me the approximate height of the jib boom above the deck? Much appreciated.
K4,

I don't believe there is a rule in place for jib boom height. I may be wrong and some other guys on the thread will correct if I am. I try to keep mine as close ot the deck as I can making sure I capture as much of the wind coming across the bow as possible. I have mine on an adjustment so I can raise and lower it depending on the conditions.

Depending if your planning to race or just sail with a club or friends, find what works best for you.

Just my thoughts.

DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by gvank
United States, NC, Southport
Joined Sep 2013
93 Posts
jib to deck height

I generally run as close to the deck as possible. There is no specified height in the rules. My jib height is adjustable to about 2.5 inches I have had some success at 2 inches in 20+ winds. It seems that raising the CE will lift the bow, lot of cavitation at the stern with the bow out of the water. I don't recommend sailing a stock rigged boat in these conditions. At 15+things start to break.
Good luck,
Gvank
gvank is offline Find More Posts by gvank
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,562 Posts
Back at the pond today...

We had a few guys sail today while the weather was nice. A couple more showed after these pics were taken. The tug Belinda came out of dry dock just in time to make a rescue of a beached Nirvana over on the island.

Thanks to Lee Werling for the pics.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by dwatson
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Crash, great to see you back at the stick. Hope the recovery is going well.
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by jppom
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
You're getting lots of help; here is some more. I agree with Gvank, as close as possible seems to work best. Here are a few pictures from three boats Saturday; black and red close to 'stock' and blue rigged about as close as I could get it. In our usually less than ferocious winds, speed difference is small, but pointing is better. The S/S hook is lashed to the boom and the split ring gives freedom of swing; you might need two rings is deck fitting is different. Lashed without CA allows hook to be moved . Non-reg head sail helps in light winds too.
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Last edited by jppom; Feb 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,562 Posts
Another way to do it...

I decided to use a fishing snap swivel dropped down the original hole. Take off the snap and reattach a hook after dropping the ball bearing part through the boom hole. This lowers and gives better rotation. The only thing is it wont allow... to slide the attachment up and down the boom, but that has never been a issue for me.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by FourDollaRacing
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
410 Posts
Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
OMG! Sailrc.com is closing it's doors Just received an email advising of their plan to wind down their business.
They are looking for someone to replace them, if possible.
This a great loss to the hobby. Steve has been a true friend to Radio sailing.
1st Amendment - I disagree.

I've received better customer service from non-English speaking Chinese vendors. In that case it's better to go direct. Eliminate the "Trading Co."

MMMmmm Bye!
FourDollaRacing is offline Find More Posts by FourDollaRacing
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:15 AM
Find More Posts by seabee CE
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
Joined Feb 2012
584 Posts
Ignore ssautter, he is just some clown that likes to bash Steve and Nirvana, good riddance to bad rubbish would more aptly apply to ssautter.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by gvank
United States, NC, Southport
Joined Sep 2013
93 Posts
Seebee is right. Don't think I have ever seen a positive post from ssauter. He uses negative vibes to irritate people then complains to the moderators when he gets a response and has someone banned from the site.
Gvank
gvank is offline Find More Posts by gvank
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
4,244 Posts
I thought that guy had got the message. His tolling in the past got him kicked of the forum a number of times.
Small minds will always think small! The forum will likely see his post and remove it and hopefully him too!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 13, 2016, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by GCplane
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
474 Posts
There is an index list of Nirvana helpful hints with post numbers that has been added to post #1. Please review post #1.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Apr 24, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
4,244 Posts
This is something some of us had discussed doing years ago. I have some photo files for some items that have been discussed, such as boom vang mods, hatch tie downs, rigging screws. Be nice to put those some place easy to access.
Nice work.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1