New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2015, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by mr2peak
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Recommend a full-house woodie

I'm looking for recommendations for a full-house woodie. No foam, no moldies. I want to build something! Wood/carbon is great, just no molded wings.

I have 5 HS-55 servo's, and 2 standard servos to work with. I'm ok with working from a short kit, but a full kit is preferred. I'd like to build under $150.. but you all know how that goes. My flying site is a slope, with great thermals off to the side and higher up so a faster airfoil would be good fun. I have a bunch of Zagi's to fly when the wind is up, I need something to tackle the light lift, and something that I can dive-in from spec-out without holding my breath. No winches required. Bigger is better because I can build more

I've been looking at Skybench Aerotech, and they have some great stuff, but it's mostly geared towards RES planes. Size is great as long as I can break it down and use the servos I have without worry (using them is my whole justification for this project). 48" panels is my max for transportation.

Skybench has the Thermal Queen short kit for $85 and 144", how does the eppler 385 respond to flaps? It's definitely a slower airfoil than I'd like, but the price is right for converting the wings and making a fishing-pole pod and boom fuselage to finish it off.

Maybe a custom-cut S3021 is the ticket? What's a good span size for the standard servos and HS-55's? What's a proven aspect ratio for the S3021 in full-house configuration? Dihedral? Anyone have a 2-3 meter full-house S3021 design floating around?

I've also been looking at the Up2You-VC, a flying wing kit by Re-Design in Germany
http://www.re-design-flugmodelle.de/...up2you-vc.html

It looks awesome, and has everything I want (wood/carbon, thin airfoil, flaps/ailerons/spoilers, splits in half) but it seems like my HS-55's are a bit thick and possibly underpowered. It's also $210 shipped and I still need covering, linkages, etc. But, damn close to perfect. However, I have 5 wings already and want to try something more... normal. Also, wings are inherently unstable, and this one won't bounce in a crash.

What else is out there? What have I missed? I used to build tons of stuff, but the only thing I've built in the last 10 years is one solitary Zagi
mr2peak is offline Find More Posts by mr2peak
Last edited by mr2peak; Nov 13, 2015 at 07:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,907 Posts
BOT Dynaflight is very reasonable. HS-55's are very small and not much power. Two could drive spoilers. Full house is not RES. alierons/ flaps/ rudder/ etc.
Skybench kits are fine. I like HS 82's m/ g servos compact and almost same power as standard servo. SiG Riser 100 is another value bird. Dynaflight BOT has alot of heavy wood but cost is good. Mountain models Specter 100 another decent bird. take off of Oly 11.
FWIW maybe think on some bigger servos then HS-55's. I have them also but for small birds.
Skybench Oly 11 is cloase to amount/ short kits also.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by blewis01
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
HS 55s are not up to the task. I wouldn't trust a 3-4 meter glider to a bunch of $10 servos. If you are winch launching you need a strong elevator servo and flap servos, somewhere around 50 - 60 oz / in. Rudder and ailerons can be lighter at 30 - 40 oz / in.

Aloft Hobbies is near you, I would contact them and ask about KST servos if you're looking to keep the cost down.

I fly moldies, so no recommendation for an airframe.

Might be helpful if you define what the task is - thermal, slope, etc.

Bruce
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Nov 13, 2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by rduder
∞ Boundary Layer
Joined May 2004
406 Posts
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01 View Post
HS 55s are not up to the task.
Given your budget,
If you can build from a free plan from http://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
You could save enough money to buy some servos from Aloft.

If you download Sagitta 600 plan, you will notice the aileron mod.
No reason the mod wouldn't work on a Sagitta 900, & a modified full house Sagitta 900 should give you the performance envelope you are looking for.
rduder is offline Find More Posts by rduder
Old Nov 13, 2015, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Joined Apr 2005
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduder View Post
+1

Given your budget,
If you can build from a free plan from http://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
You could save enough money to buy some servos from Aloft.

If you download Sagitta 600 plan, you will notice the aileron mod.
No reason the mod wouldn't work on a Sagitta 900, & a modified full house Sagitta 900 should give you the performance envelope you are looking for.
A+

Built the Sagitta 600 kit with the aileron mods and was satisfied with its performance, no bad habits at all. Friend's larger Sagitta 900, built R/E, was a better thermal sailplane. Have seen posts from others that modded their 900's with ailerons.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:20 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
BOT Dynaflight is very reasonable. HS-55's are very small and not much power. Two could drive spoilers. Full house is not RES. alierons/ flaps/ rudder/ etc.
Skybench kits are fine. I like HS 82's m/ g servos compact and almost same power as standard servo. SiG Riser 100 is another value bird. Dynaflight BOT has alot of heavy wood but cost is good. Mountain models Specter 100 another decent bird. take off of Oly 11.
FWIW maybe think on some bigger servos then HS-55's. I have them also but for small birds.
Skybench Oly 11 is cloase to amount/ short kits also.
First off, thanks for all the suggestions!

I know RES is not full-house, I've had a hard time finding any full-house woodies at all. Sky bench just seems to have a nice collection BUT they are all RES..

BOT looks great, and has the s3021, but that wing shape is going to give me hell adding flaps and ailerons.

Sig Riser 100 might work, Olly could work, but they are both very much "beginner" planes. I guess flattening out the wing and adding more controls will change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01 View Post
HS 55s are not up to the task. I wouldn't trust a 3-4 meter glider to a bunch of $10 servos. If you are winch launching you need a strong elevator servo and flap servos, somewhere around 50 - 60 oz / in. Rudder and ailerons can be lighter at 30 - 40 oz / in.

Aloft Hobbies is near you, I would contact them and ask about KST servos if you're looking to keep the cost down.

I fly moldies, so no recommendation for an airframe.

Might be helpful if you define what the task is - thermal, slope, etc.

Bruce
I'm stuck with the HS-55's, that's just the way it is.

As far as the task, it's having fun and flying a more complicated plane. Speed is good, size is good, but I'm obviously servo limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
A+

Built the Sagitta 600 kit with the aileron mods and was satisfied with its performance, no bad habits at all. Friend's larger Sagitta 900, built R/E, was a better thermal sailplane. Have seen posts from others that modded their 900's with ailerons.
Flaps as well? I'll do some more research. Looks like this will have to be scratch-built, can't even get a short kit. I found a thread about a s3021 wing kit for the Sagitta, that would be a winner, but it was a few years ago and there seems to be a "cease and desist" order around producing that kit.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:23 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2276606

Full-House custom Sagitta 600. This sounds just about perfect, just need to find someone who can cut a wing rib kit so I can clone the design. Or, scratch-built... This does fill every requirement I have..
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by 2michaely
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
304 Posts
The Bird of Time has been modified a to include flaps and ailerons if you like its appearance.....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=bot&page=2

a short kit may be available or you can pick up the Dynaflite BoT kit which is cheap as kits go and use it as a base.

Lots of free plans are floating around, not just Outerzone... the whole RCMagazine plan inventory is pretty well all available free online:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2354459&pp=100

good luck

Michael
2michaely is offline Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
Wish those pictures would load for me :/

I like the look, but the angled ailerons are giving me doubts, I think I would end up with a better plane starting from a more conventional wing with the same s3021 section.

As for all the plans available, I need help! Tons of stuff out there, need to narrow the field down.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,994 Posts
Take a look at Harley's Easy Eagle. There is a build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2155320 It could easily be built with ailerons, it already has flaps. Harley, the designer, is active in the thread and could answer any questions you might have. There is also a short kit available.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 13, 2015, 05:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
The Easy Eagle is interesting, but I don't think it's as graceful as the Sagitta 600.

In case you can't tell, I'm heavily leaning towards a Sagitta 600 with minimal dihedral and flaps/ailerons. Might modify the tail configuration as well..

Any more suggestions? "You people" have been very helpful I'll be sure to start a build thread.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
Does anyone have dxf cut files for the saggita 600?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by hog2soar
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
1,117 Posts
Here's what I did to my BOT. You could do the same and make it a Full House.

I did a build log here call Tahatan, if your interested.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 13, 2015, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
I saw some pictures of that, very cool! Yes please post a link to your build thread. If you have DXF files for the ribs you would make me a very happy person! That said..

NEWS!

Just printed Sagitta 600 plans and did my first round of wood shopping, time to cut some ribs.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by romanl
Joined Dec 2007
257 Posts
The Great Planes Spirit 100 is designed as a woodie full-house model, if it is still available.
romanl is offline Find More Posts by romanl