New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Luv3d
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
2,387 Posts
....agreed- I was just thinking that with lower voltage comes less torque and more opportunity for blowback or stress on the servo for centering purposes, causing the problem.

That said, they are designed for either 6.0 / 7.4v, so voltage shouldn't be the issue.
Bummer....4 of those servos. I just haven't heard of many others who have experienced that kind of 'luck'.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by babathehutt
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2013
232 Posts
It's out there... I have some hanging out in my garage that I probably won't install in any more planes. When they work they're awesome, but they burn out at random. I had to seriously tone down my throws on my Yak so I could keep flying with some confidence. I bought a handful of Savox 0255 from Northwest RC, which SupaTim is running in his smaller planes. He highly recommends them so I'm excited to try them out.
babathehutt is offline Find More Posts by babathehutt
Old Oct 06, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Luv3d
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
2,387 Posts
I might have to try some of the Savox as well....
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Oct 06, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by Liberty10
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
7,179 Posts
The 0255 had zero issues in flight. I lost 2 rudder servos from bumping it in transport and 1 from a very light tail touch. I wonder if the gear metal is maybe a little soft. Stay away from impacts and they work great...
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Oct 06, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by FlyCush
Joined Nov 2007
480 Posts
I have two dead savox 255s and one that did not center well after flying it on the elevator.

The metal case, I believe, does not reduce heat and may help generate more heat in areas of the country where sunlight is prevalent along with higher temperatures.

I removed the 255, and placed an hitec 85mg on the elevator and noticed how much better the plane rotated using full elevator.

The savox servos lasted one good summer in this Az heat.
FlyCush is offline Find More Posts by FlyCush
Old Oct 07, 2015, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2013
232 Posts
Yeah I try not to fly in the heat. I'm in central CA and if it isn't 100+ out, it's 99 in the summer. I lost 2 of 4 5070s just plugging in the battery and wiggling the surface. The elevator servo in my Yak went in a hover. I have probably 20-30 flights so far without a problem since I got a new batch from Hitec.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 10:24 AM
Joined Mar 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
The 0255 had zero issues in flight. I lost 2 rudder servos from bumping it in transport and 1 from a very light tail touch. I wonder if the gear metal is maybe a little soft. Stay away from impacts and they work great...
I lost a 5070 the same way. I don't use the servo arm extension on the rudder because of exactly this. The G10 extension has no give at all, and a bunch of leverage against the servo so it doesn't take a lot to damage the output gears. The nylon arm has more than enough length to swing the rudder lock to lock, and enough give to save your servo in a tail touch.