HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:39 AM
Joined Jul 2009
10 Posts
Discussion
Pay n Pak Electric Conversion Lay Out Suggestions

My winter project this year is bringing back to life a boat I built when I was in 6th grade many, many years ago - an old 30" dumas pay-n-pak. Thanks to this forum I am on my way to pulling together everything I need for the conversion to electric (I am new to electric), but I was just wondering if anyone had any pics they would be willing to share of how their electronics (motor, battery, esc, servos) are configured inside the fairly narrow space. I have some concerns about getting the COG right with whatever configuration I choose. I had to pull the decks off for repairs, so I am thinking of trying to make some extra space by modifying some of the framing, but I don't know if I am going to do that yet and would like to get some ideas from other's working configurations before I decide if that is necessary.
pjmachine is offline Find More Posts by pjmachine
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:13 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,038 Posts
I will look some more for layout pictures of my pay n pak. The cog was about 1.5" behind the sponsons. It was pretty much batteries in the nose, then motor right behind the batteries. ESC and servo toward the transom.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:26 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,038 Posts
It seems the only layout on my Pay-n-pak, which was the turbine.. was after it broke apart.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
10 Posts
Thanks cyberhoops, that info is helpful.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:43 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
If its the Dumas boat theres enough room in that boat for 12 s lipo 1 p with 4 3 s packs. CG and all set right.........

Hugh
Xfactor940 is offline Find More Posts by Xfactor940
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined May 2012
375 Posts
I run the same boat as Cyber (Finlay plans?), my setup looks about the same, I run a pair of 2s packs in series in the nose, esc between the motor and batts.
Best thing to do is put everything in the boat roughly where you think it should go, check the cg and make adjustments, then glue things in when the boat balances properly with all the stuff in it.
I run a UL-1 motor, 120 amp esc and a pair of 40c 5000mah 2s packs in series, I also use the JAE .12 turnfin from the Zippkits rigger. Speedmaster rudder and strut.
Don't have a clue as to why anyone would bother posting you can fit 12s, doesn't make a bit of sense for a 30" boat.....oh well some people......
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,038 Posts
Right on the mark Sibe - Finlay plans. While the picture above is a Proboat 1500 motor, I also ran it with UL-1, 120 amp ESC, but using a single 4s battery.

And the smaller JAE turn fin is an excellent option. I now use that on all of my boats of this size.

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=227
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Joined Jul 2009
10 Posts
Awesome guys. I think I have all the info that I need to proceed Thanks.