HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
945 Posts
Discussion
Mini single stick TX

Hi,
This is probably going to sound stupid but please bare with me.

I'm looking to build a small single stick 3 channel radio to go with a small motor glider (28" span). The idea is to have it all break down & fit in a standard size aluminum carry case so I can take it to work & not generate too much interest.
I can fold a case up out of Aluminum so no specific size but think of a normal TX cut straight down the middle for what I'm thinking, possibly a bit smaller.

I'm not as smart as some here so a scratch build is not an option. I need to find a donor TX which,
A) has small enough internals to fit into a small case.
B) is easy enough to find the PPM signal so I can fit a 2.4 hack module without fancy equipment.
C) Is voltage tolerant & will run on a small 2s Lipo without throwing a tanty
D) can be found new or 2nd hand cheaply so it's not a big deal if I kill it trying to make it work.
E) has a good 2-300m (1/8-1/6 Mile) range.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2013, 08:39 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,326 Posts
Small TX here;

http://www.gwsus.com/english/english.htm

Picture of it with my 1.2M DLG, with Electric power pod and planes carry case.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,198 Posts
I have an old Cannon radio that fits that description pretty well.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
945 Posts
Thanks.
Srnet. It seems those are not available in Australia.

Andy,
It seems the old single stick radios were reasonably common in the US back in the 60/70s but they are rare as hens teeth in Australia unfortunately. My only option would be to buy one from the US & ship over which would not only be expensive but I can't see too many guys wanting to go through the rigmarole of sending it overseas. Not to mention no opportunity to try before I buy so to speak.

I thought about using the little 4ch RTF Spektrum TX but I don't think it'll give me the 2-300m range I'm looking for.

I've been looking at the cheap 6ch HK radio but I think the main board may be a bit bigger than I want. The 4ch seems to use the same board.
Still looking.....

Al
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,198 Posts
The DX4e will give you the range, the little toy game-controller type will not (you'd be lucky to get 100m range).

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_ View Post
Thanks.
Srnet. It seems those are not available in Australia.
You can order from GWS direct.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 04:08 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,326 Posts
Quote:
I thought about using the little 4ch RTF Spektrum TX but I don't think it'll give me the 2-300m range I'm looking for.
That little GWS set will give you that range.

I used to practice throwing the DLG and seeing how far down the local park I could get flying in a straight minimum trim glide. I usually got close to the end of the field 250M away still having control as the DLG landed.

The set is 2.5mW, which would by calculation give about 1/6th the range of a standard 100mW 2.4Ghz set, they go out how far, 1.5kM ? So the 250M for 4mW seems about right.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:07 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
I made a couple of small transmitters for the same reason, they use the same case which I got from RS Components. One is a 2 channel (actually 5 but only 2 implemented) and the one in the 2nd pic below is a single-channel set (actually a 1+1). Both sets are full-range, based on a Frsky DIY RF module, my own encoder and a small lipo. Theres more on http://www.singlechannel.co.uk on the Archive page.
I know you said scratch isnt an option but honestly its a simple assembly job, very easy. The encoder is ready-made & tested, and the stick comes from an old 27mhz set. Quite a few have been made by various pals. Cutting the hole for the stick unit is the hardest part!
Quote:
I'm looking to build a small single stick 3 channel radio to go with a small motor glider (28" span). The idea is to have it all break down & fit in a standard size aluminum carry case so I can take it to work & not generate too much interest....
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 03, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:55 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
I found the RS catalog number for the case I used, its 583-094 link here
That one is very small - it depends on the size of your stick unit with its pots & mechanical trims.
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 05, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
945 Posts
Phil first post nailed it. Exactly what I'm looking for. Small TX with a single stick (2 ch) with a third ch on a switch for motor.
I'm very interested in the little 2ch in the first pic.

I'm using Frsky & Orange modules in my radios now so planning to use Orange for this one (so I can use the AR6400 RX brick).

I had a bit of a win this week. I found a page showing the PPM output for the old Futaba AM 4 channel radio I have sitting on the bench feeling sorry for itself.
I'll be pulling the guts out of it to put something together. The board is a little bigger than planned but will do.

I could probably build from plans as long as the build was straight forward. I've build chargers etc in the past but not for a long time.

I assume you're the Phil from the link you posted? If so, I'll drop you a PM to discuss.
Thanks mate.

Al
Old Oct 04, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, NY, Westhampton Beach
Joined Nov 2006
57 Posts
Hitec makes a single stick radio. Wouldn't that be easier than building one?

http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...-radio/product

Bill S>
Twin_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Twin_Flyer
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:48 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
The FMS Easy Trainer 800 RTF comes with a nice 'shrunk down' 4 channel transmitter. I don't know if this radio is sold separately, but you could probably order it as a spare part.

The transmitter draws 200mA from a 4.8V battery (same as the Spektrum DX6i) so I'm guessing it should have a range of at least 500m.

With the antenna folded sideways the transmitter is only 160mm high by 150mm wide, and 67mm deep (including sticks). Internally the main control board measures just 103mm x 34mm, so there is potential to make it even smaller if put in a custom case.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Last edited by Bruce Abbott; Oct 05, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2013, 04:48 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Thats also a good option Bruce, what type of receivers does it use, DSM2 presumably?
I dont know about this one but remember some of these sets are only a few mw, something else to consider
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 06, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2013, 06:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
945 Posts
Phil,
Your inbox is full & won't accept PM.
Send me over your Paypal details please.

Bruce,
That looks like a good option but I'm going to run with one of the encoders from Phil.
It'll mean I can make it nice & small while retaining a decent range.
Thanks.

Al
Old Oct 05, 2013, 08:46 AM
United Kingdom, Wrexham
Joined Jun 2004
622 Posts
Nice Phil, very nice, those pcbs sure look familiar. Hope you are well.

Ash

PS thanks for the mention in RCM+E made me smile!
plane_spotter is offline Find More Posts by plane_spotter